Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 47,135 times

Advertisements

Do ANY search engines pay any attention anymore to Boolean operators? You know, the symbols that back in the "good old days" used to reduce the number of hits to those that actually CONTAIN the words we are SEARCHING for?

Google and Bing both stink. If we use a "plus" symbol in front of a word, Google now displays a sentence saying "no results found", despite that the same day I stumbled on many pages that DO contain those words. So, Google is now viewing the "plus" symbol as an actual letter instead of as a "please only include pages that contain the word after the plus symbol". Bing gives you hits that do NOT contain that word, despite the "plus" symbol we have placed in front of that word in our search string.

Yahoo has the same problems Bing does. But Google and Yahoo used to listen when we used Boolean operators. In the past two years they have stopped. Why?

I can't find a single search engine that actually listens when I type in that I want certain words to appear in the results, and do not want other words to appear in the results. Have all of the search engines sold out to ignore what we are really looking for?

I'm disgusted. Would love to go back to the mid-2000's when I could type into a search engine and the results actually followed the Plus and Minus Boolean operators I used in my search string.

The Internet is becoming largely useless to me for finding things. Comments? Doesn't anyone notice this? It's so obvious to me, don't you all get disgusted when you get page after page of "hits" that ignore what you requested to be searched for?

Last edited by berettaway; 09-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Use the advanced search feature on google (linked below) for more control of your search results. The minus operator does work, I use it quite frequently. I think the basic search function includes the plus operator by default. Just search for the word. Put it in quotes if you want that specific word and not synonyms as well.

Google Advanced Search

Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
As pointed out the plus sign is redundant. Here's the operators you can use with Google.

Operators and more search help - Web Search Help

Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 14,065 times
What a crock both these replies are.

They're like Google results, not what we're looking for, but a helpful suggestion that we stop whining and keep using Google.

Duckduckgo will show only the results that exist, but really, there's a giant void waiting to be filled because Google removed their prime function. Duckduckgo still gives two or three adaptive results, but sticks them at the top, at least.

My kingdom for a page that solely exists to display search results for things I type, like "Zixley" and "SBTRKT", without forcibly having results for the word "Pixel" and "Subterfuge" crammed in there like they mean anything to me.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 13,907 times
So I guess that's a no, Tony. I agree with you re searching. boolean is so simple people would get much more precise results if they took two minutes to learn it.

As far as I know Lexus and Westlaw are the only searches that use Boolean operators. too bad

Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaway View Post
Do ANY search engines pay any attention anymore to Boolean operators? You know, the symbols that back in the "good old days" used to reduce the number of hits to those that actually CONTAIN the words we are SEARCHING for?

Google and Bing both stink. If we use a "plus" symbol in front of a word, Google now displays a sentence saying "no results found", despite that the same day I stumbled on many pages that DO contain those words. So, Google is now viewing the "plus" symbol as an actual letter instead of as a "please only include pages that contain the word after the plus symbol". Bing gives you hits that do NOT contain that word, despite the "plus" symbol we have placed in front of that word in our search string.

Yahoo has the same problems Bing does. But Google and Yahoo used to listen when we used Boolean operators. In the past two years they have stopped. Why?

I can't find a single search engine that actually listens when I type in that I want certain words to appear in the results, and do not want other words to appear in the results. Have all of the search engines sold out to ignore what we are really looking for?

I'm disgusted. Would love to go back to the mid-2000's when I could type into a search engine and the results actually followed the Plus and Minus Boolean operators I used in my search string.

The Internet is becoming largely useless to me for finding things. Comments? Doesn't anyone notice this? It's so obvious to me, don't you all get disgusted when you get page after page of "hits" that ignore what you requested to be searched for?
Real hard to find answers to a year old question huh tony?...

Let me Bing that for you!

Last edited by plwhit; 09-17-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Real hard to find answers to your question...

Let me Bing that for you!
I love when people respond to the OP a year later.... Must have been sitting on your todo list a bit too long.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-17-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I love when people respond to the OP a year later.... Must have been sitting on your todo list a bit too long.
Give them a break, they are newbies and know-it-alls...

Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Give them a break, they are newbies and know-it-alls...
I wonder if the newbie know-it-alls you speak of know that while they can edit their posts, they cannot change what others have quoted them saying....

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I am confused by the post. Google/Yahoo/Bing never stopped using Boolean. Just because it doesn't say anymore HOW to use Boolean on the main pages like it did back in the day???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet