Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

I've had Firefox since the Stone Age. Have had no problems with it. And like a lot of users, I upgraded my happy little icons at the top into happy large icons, using Aeon 6 or 7 or something. And all was good.

However, about three or four or five upgrades ago, Firefox pulled a fast one on me. After the upgrade, my large icons were no longer compatible, nor were they large. Well, these old eyes like large icons, so, says I, I'll go look for some more. But I ran into other problems. All of a sudden I could no longer move the URL bar to where I wanted it or move my Back/Forward buttons where I wanted them to go. Since I am alternately left and right handed on the computer, it's pretty essential to me that those buttons remain in the middle of my navigation toolbar with the other icons around them and the URL bar on a separate line (above or below, I didn't care which). Right now, The Back/Forward buttons seem to be glued to the front of the URL bar and can't be moved away from it.

And there's one more problem.

I can't seem to figure out how to deal with - for want of a better expression - the new way Firefox has their customized way to put new icons up.

I'm not a computer expert, but I'm not exactly computer illiterate, either. But this has me totally baffled.

It used to be I'd click on View, click on Toolbars, and then click on Customize. Up would come this little box that I could move things in and out of up to and down from my navigation toolbar. There are also little space thingys I can move so I can sort of even things out on either side of my back/forward buttons, which as I said, need to stay in the middle.

All of a sudden, with the new and horribly improved Firefox, I have annoying tabs I don't want. And after I have gone to View, to Tools, and to Customize, all there is is a a small box on the right hand side that contains a few icons. I can find no space thingys in it to put between icons. I found new Aeon Large Icons to install, but I can't seem to make them appear in that little box. All I can do, it seems, is move the icons that are already there from one side of the page to the other, out of the Icon box and over to the other side and back again. I can put them up on the Navigation toolbar, but they just sit there next to the URL bar, all squished together with the URL bar clear on over to the right hand side.

So I've downgraded back to Firefox 25 again so I can keep my large icons and put my URL bar and back/forward buttons where I want them: in the middle of the page with the other icons to either side of them and the URL bar above on its own line.

Yeah, I know this isn't a very technical explanation, but obviously I've missed something really basic here with the new Firefox. And as I am eventually going to have to upgrade one of these days, does anyone have any idea how to move the icons I want to where I want them? And does anyone have any idea how I can move that URL bar and separate my back/forward buttons from the front of it?

I suppose I should post my question at a Firefox forum on Mozilla somewhere, but gods help me, I can't seem to find anyplace to do that either. How hard can they possibly make it to ask a question there? Answer: pretty hard, seems like. That's why I'm turning to you guys here.

So thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Right click the bookmarks button*, select customize. You can drag the buttons where you want them.

*This will actually work on many parts of the toolbar but you'll get a different context menu on some places like inside the address bar.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:07 AM

13 posts, read 10,500 times
You could also try installing the Classic Theme Restorer add-on for Firefox, which will allow even more customization, potentially allowing you to restore the Firefox UI to something you're more used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet