Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 09:30 PM

365 posts, read 271,022 times

Advertisements

Don't know if it was some web page I visited or someone sold my email address?
But starting about the end of September until now, BOMBS away.

Is there something that someone knows that I can do to eliminate or reduce these?
The color Blue and Red indicates the major end email address.
I get up to three of the same email within seconds, duplicated?

99.9% go directly to SPAM section of my Yahoo email account.
Do I need to worry about these Bombs?

This is info on one of the email address
Attached Thumbnails
Email SPAM bombardment HELP-0025.jpg   Email SPAM bombardment HELP-0026.jpg  

Last edited by txwolfman; 11-08-2022 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 10:10 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Well, it looks like Yahoo spam filter is doing the job it is meant too.

You can go into your Yahoo email security settings and enter up to 1000 addresses to not receive mail from them. Unfortunately, the spammer is generating a random email domain for each spam message.

Alternatively, I would go into Yahoo settings and select "Filters."
Enter a new filter:
Deliver to "Spam" if >From begins with "renter-info"

The steps are easy.
It won't stop them from filling your Spam folder, but it should keep them entirely out of your Inbox.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:24 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Yea, I can always tell when I have used another's computer by the "new" spam I receive. It ALL goes into my spam box, I just visually scan the addresses and then hit "Delete All".

Old 11-09-2022, 11:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

You can go into your Yahoo email security settings and enter up to 1000 addresses to not receive mail from them. Unfortunately, the spammer is generating a random email domain for each spam message.

Enter a new filter:

The steps are easy.
It won't stop them from filling your Spam folder, but it should keep them entirely out of your Inbox.
Yahoo's "Security and Privacy" section under Settings can be used to add domains to the "Blocked Domains" list which would be a broader and, presumably, a better approach than adding individual email addresses to the "Block Addresses" list.
I noticed there is a UK based domain that keeps sending you spam with different subject lines, adding that domain to the "Blocked Domains" list would definitely reduce how much Spam you receive.

I, also agree that the "Filters" section could be quite useful to send junk mail directly to SPAM or, even better, directly to TRASH, which I prefer.
Filters can be very useful with not only combating junk mail but also redirecting legit email to organize your messages.
So, you can have the important, time-sensitive emails delivered to a custom folder you create that would help you identify those mail much quicker than spotting them in your Inbox, perhaps?

Anyhow, using several clever filters has been the most effective in filtering junk from my Inbox.

One example of using filters for spam:
I was receiving noticeable amount of junk from myself (sender had the same email as me, a really silly email spoofing style which made it stand out) or where the subject line mentioned the initial part of my email address, ie: "Dear Turco90,..."
Again, since I was using a pseudo name plus my IQ after it for my email address, when they used it like it was my real name, made it stand out.

Since these were clearly junk, creating a filter was smart and effective with no negative side effects.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This:

Yahoo's "Security and Privacy" section under Settings can be used to add domains to the "Blocked Domains" list which would be a broader and, presumably, a better approach than adding individual email addresses to the "Block Addresses" list.
I noticed there is a UK based domain that keeps sending you spam with different subject lines, adding that domain to the "Blocked Domains" list would definitely reduce how much Spam you receive.

I, also agree that the "Filters" section could be quite useful to send junk mail directly to SPAM or, even better, directly to TRASH, which I prefer.
Filters can be very useful with not only combating junk mail but also redirecting legit email to organize your messages.
So, you can have the important, time-sensitive emails delivered to a custom folder you create that would help you identify those mail much quicker than spotting them in your Inbox, perhaps?

Anyhow, using several clever filters has been the most effective in filtering junk from my Inbox.

One example of using filters for spam:
I was receiving noticeable amount of junk from myself (sender had the same email as me, a really silly email spoofing style which made it stand out) or where the subject line mentioned the initial part of my email address, ie: "Dear Turco90,..."
Again, since I was using a pseudo name plus my IQ after it for my email address, when they used it like it was my real name, made it stand out.

Since these were clearly junk, creating a filter was smart and effective with no negative side effects.

Since all of the UK spam domains start with variable letters/numerals, such as "4efo8-" are they not all the same domain?

The Yahoo "Blocked Domains" function would not allow me to enter a wild card *.* to pick up those random-generated variables, so I could not include the UK domains. Called my attempts invalid domains. This is something I have done in MS Outlook with good success.
Then, I see that Yahoo limits me to 3 Blocked Domains. Oh, well.

But, ALL of the spam emails start with "renter-info" and that filter was easy to set. Certainly worth a try.

One benefit of the thread... I cleaned out my Yahoo spam file.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Since all of the UK spam domains start with variable letters/numerals, such as "4efo8-" are they not all the same domain?

The Yahoo "Blocked Domains" function would not allow me to enter a wild card *.* to pick up those random-generated variables, so I could not include the UK domains. Called my attempts invalid domains. This is something I have done in MS Outlook with good success.
Then, I see that Yahoo limits me to 3 Blocked Domains. Oh, well.

But, ALL of the spam emails start with "renter-info" and that filter was easy to set. Certainly worth a try.

One benefit of the thread... I cleaned out my Yahoo spam file.
Yeah, you are right, they seem to be using many sub domains and fake domains to block the originating domain, at least from what is available in the screenshots. An email client app like Outlook or Thunderbird would likely to provide much more "header" info about the source, with web mail, that is often hidden or truncated. If he is not expecting any email from any domains that end with .co.uk or from United Kingdom in general, I'd actually just add the "co.uk" into the blocked domain list.

Also, normally domain blocking would be much more effective thru a spam filtering app when used with a 3rd party email client app which obviously is not applicable for OP. Yahoo's 3 domain limit is a teaser. They are clearly trying to get people to get the paid Plus version. Hotmail actually doesn't limit you and you enter both on the same list whether it is a sender or a domain.

Using smart filters is probably his best option, and for Yahoo Mail, it actually works really well as I mentioned in my last post and the example.
OP's Yahoo Mail seems to be doing a good job as you mentioned so, it is really a non-issue, imho.

Hotmail as a nice feature that actually lets you send every email that is coming from anyone that is not in your senders/contacts list, directly to JUNK folder, which I enabled (see screenshot).
That feature is really helpful in sending most any spam directly to Junk mail folder. Every now and then, some of the legit ones go into Junk folder but I just add it to my Safe Senders list and it is done.

The above essentially eliminates almost all SPAM and helps me see and read the legit ones much faster and easier.

I said almost because, well, if one of your contacts' mail account or computer was compromised with a worm, then you would be getting a potentially malware loaded email into your Inbox from someone you know (recall Melissa - I Love You). I got the email from a co-worker and as I opened his email at the time, I was thinking "I really like (this) older guy, so, how should I tell him that I don't swing that way?"
All the while I neglected all the shouting coming from this other co-worker who had already opened that email a few minutes earlier and caused the infection to spread like crazy.
Good times!

Anyhow, I still get junk email every now and then from a few in my contacts list. From the subject line, I can easily tell their contacts/mail account were compromised.

What people need, at a minimum, is 2 different web mail addresses. One for their normal communication and the other as a honeypot, a decoy for spam.

So, anytime an app or website requires you to enter an email address to download something you really want, you don't use your main account, you use the decoy one. At shows I see a nice vehicle on display and the only thing visitors need to do to enter the raffle is to fill out a simple card with their full name and phone/email address. Sound simple and non-intrusive, right?
Not quite! No free lunch so definitely no free brand new vehicle!

Sadly, most people get most of the spam due to their own mistake.

Oh, I can send a free animated Birthday card with singing cats to my mom and all I gotta do is write her name, her age then my email for "Sender" and her email for "Recipient"? Sounds so easy and she'd really love this?

Like 15 years ago, I have actually done this on JibJab! At the time, it was so cool, too! At least I was wise enough to use my decoy Hotmail account but what about the 2 childhood friends whom I sent the super funny animated video? Yup, they definitely started getting a bit more spam!

Them job sites like CareerBuilder, Monster, Indeed definitely sell personal info regardless of what they claim. Even if they may not be selling it to just any company, they are definitely letting their "affiliates" contact you with offers that you neither asked for nor of any interest to you.
So, going in, you've already agreed to a certain type and amount of spam when you sign up on such sites.

You also have to accept that you cannot completely prevent or eliminate spam! So, best to just deal with it and figure out way to filter as much of it as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Email SPAM bombardment HELP-hotmail-settings-junk-email.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-09-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 05:15 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Yahoo’s spam filters did seem to change around that time. They used to stop these kinds of email a lot better than they do now. Yahoo want to push me to Yahoo ‘plus (paid account), but I will probably just quit using yahoo instead. That will end something like 22 years or so of using them. Gmail works better anyway. Bye bye yahoo!

Old 11-10-2022, 07:58 AM

Eh. I have used Yahoo since 1998 and am satisfied with it. I don't get a burdensome amount of spam, and it handles it well.
I like the ability to easily create up to 500 disposable email addresses.

That said, I also use MS/Outlook Exchange as my primary.
Then, I play with Gmail and Zoho, neither of which I really care for or would use as primary.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:12 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I wonder if OP has responded to those emails or tried to stop them. Both could increase the spam amount a lot.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:10 PM

365 posts, read 271,022 times
Quote:

Enter a new filter:

The steps are easy.
Yeah, I did the <renter-info>block in settings. Thanks Mike-should have looked myself, but you motivated me, now they don't fill up my spam folder.

answers to some op questions.
No, they were not opened.
Yes, they were filling up in my spam folder and not in box.
Not sure-if I was being targeted for something worst??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet