Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I don't think this would do any good - even though city data has a high pagerank, links from forums simply don't work - Google drastically decreased their power some time ago.
Yac.
She's not linking to anything. I am asking her to put the web sites she is considering on here so I can look at them for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I don't think this would do any good - even though city data has a high pagerank, links from forums simply don't work - Google drastically decreased their power some time ago.
Yac.
I wasn't aware that Google changed their policy on this. Generally in the past, the method was link, link, link, and advertise. Put quite simply, the more hits to your site, the higher the rank in search results. Also, time spent being active also contributed. (older pages have been crawled more than younger ones)

You can also use various free listing sites to help as well as create some dink Yahoo geocities or tripod pages or even blogger page that contain links to a site you are trying to promote in order to gain some exposure. Then of course you can always pay for some advertising.

Three things: Time, effort, and content.

good luck

Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Basically it works the same now but google has been decreasing the power of links from places it was easiest to spam - like internet forums.
I have found that if you find a Blog, or a Blog like site with high Pagerank and dofollow links enabled in comments you can do wonders for seo Not that I am reccomending spamming, but generally this seems to work.
Oh, and if you want to get into it I reccomend the SeoQuake plugin for firefox - it combines most tools needed for seo and is quite intuitive.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
Ok, will post here and apologize in advance if I am unintentionally breaking the rules...

I found two sites that intrigued me with what they do, but as I stated from the start I don't know much about how this works and don't want to get scammed by my lack of knowledge. I don't have a ton of time to invest to learn the in's and out's of how to take on the task myself if that is even done...I just want the results! On a reasonable budget!

All advice is welcome~thanks again!!

webtraffictonight.com and ineedhits.com
I just paid for webtraffictonight, and after their third day of reports, they claim to have sent 2,000+ new visitors to my site. I sent them two emails asking why my TWO independent traffic tracking resources don't reflect these visitors in any way. My site reported 10-20 new visitors in the last three days. Webtraffictonight claims to have sent over 2,000 so far.

When I emailed to ask about this, they did not reply. I sent Paypal a dispute, and within seconds, there was a reply to my dispute, via paypal.

They claim they sold me a 30 day package of visitors, and ignored the details of the claim, where I asked why they are reporting to have sent over 2,000 new visitors. No answer to that detail, yet they appear to be positioning as though they have 30 days to figure out how to BS me, Paypal, or whomever.

I would not recommend this company.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,308 times
Quote:
Hi Science & Tech forum!

I thought I'd seek the guru experts advice of the folks in this forum :-)

I would like advice on how to make my website appear higher in search engines. I am a independent consultant for a party plan company and have my own unique wesbsite address that is maintained by the company I represent. They have a very specific policy on negative keywords and I am not at ALL tech savy. There is one rep whose website consistently comes to the top and several others who are on the first page. I know that they all do some form of paid advertising and goggle ad words.

My main questions are:

1.) Is it the advertising that makes their sites appear higher?
2.) Is it how many times their sites are clicked that make it higher?
3.) Are there any reputable companies that I could employ to make mine appear higher?
4.) Any suggestions on how to 'internet network'?

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to work this process. Thank you all for your time and advice and please forgive me if these are dumb questions!!

Stacie
Just learned today that it is what is put into the set up page of your web site which will help with search engines. Had 3 SEO companies over the last 3 years which did nothing and $ 10,000 later it was shown to me why it did not work by #4 today.He sounds promising. Should know if it works in about 2 month. Do your research. Don't waste your money like I did. Learned a lot so.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
I have a friend who's a professional SEO consultant. He's AdWords certified, which is something not many companies/consultants can claim. DM me if you'd like his contact info.

Whatever you do, don't hire anyone that makes you promises about where they can get you in the rankings. NOBODY can guarantee you anything in that regard. SEO is a very fluid thing, and search engines are constantly updating their algorithms, adding weight to some metrics while taking it away from others, etc. Anyone that "guarantees" you a ranking is looking to rip you off, plain and simple.

Quote:
Hi Science & Tech forum!

I thought I'd seek the guru experts advice of the folks in this forum :-)

I would like advice on how to make my website appear higher in search engines. I am a independent consultant for a party plan company and have my own unique wesbsite address that is maintained by the company I represent. They have a very specific policy on negative keywords and I am not at ALL tech savy. There is one rep whose website consistently comes to the top and several others who are on the first page. I know that they all do some form of paid advertising and goggle ad words.

My main questions are:

3.) Are there any reputable companies that I could employ to make mine appear higher?
4.) Any suggestions on how to 'internet network'?

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to work this process. Thank you all for your time and advice and please forgive me if these are dumb questions!!

Stacie

Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Depends on what you are referring too.

If you're advertising in Google it shouldn't and if a SE did that and it was found out they would lose all credibility.

If your advertising on a high PR site independently with the site owner that has potential however Google has cracked down on this and the site owner selling the links is potentially putting his own site at risk which would also negate the benefits you get if they get penalized for selling links. Note they don't penalize for selling ones using the no-follow attribute.

Advertising can certainly provide benefits for getting the word out if people find your site interesting. The traffic driven to the site can create organic links which are the most important ones.

Quote:
Possibly but you'd have to ask Google under penalty of death.

Quote:
Certainly but a good SEO expert commands $$$.

A common misconception is we are trying to trick the search engine with SEO, although that makes up a small part of it that is hardly the core things you need to do. Schemes that trick the engine are found out and quickly become useless and in some cases if they are " Black hat" will kill a site as the SE will penalize you for it.

SEO starts with using proper markup with good content. I think too many people fall into the trap and spend too much time trying to achieve rankings on wild gooses chases when they could be spending that time making better pages and providing a better user experience.

If you can provide a great and unique site that is setup properly all else will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet