Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 11:41 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times

Advertisements

In the age of cord cutting, Comcast video chief sees value in the bundle - The San Diego Union-Tribune
"Strauss, 45, joined the senior management team at Comcast in 2004, working his way up to executive vice president and general manager of video and entertainment services three years ago. He previously worked at Rainbow Media and ABC."

Now I know why Comcast is so quick to raise prices on consumers rather than fight back against the media companies. Disney is the most expensive of the media companies and the current head of Comcast's TV division is a former Disney executive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 03:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
In the age of cord cutting, Comcast video chief sees value in the bundle - The San Diego Union-Tribune
"Strauss, 45, joined the senior management team at Comcast in 2004, working his way up to executive vice president and general manager of video and entertainment services three years ago. He previously worked at Rainbow Media and ABC."

Now I know why Comcast is so quick to raise prices on consumers rather than fight back against the media companies. Disney is the most expensive of the media companies and the current head of Comcast's TV division is a former Disney executive.
Where did you get that mickey mouse theory.?

Old 05-27-2017, 08:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Some companies like directv and Dish fight the increases but in the end, the rates increase anyway.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Some companies like directv and Dish fight the increases but in the end, the rates increase anyway.
Very true. I have never been a customer of either DirecTV or Dish but I remember disputes and subsequent channel blackouts being in the news. Time Warner Cable before they were bought out by Spectrum was the same way. They seemed to at least try to stand up for the consumer in a few instances as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I had DirecTV for years and they had this sneaky little trick, they would promise you when you signed up that your rates wouldn't go up for 2 years, and then when you renewed they offered you the same promise but the bill kept going up because the only rate they didn't raise was their base rate for service it didn't include any special programming, equipment so whenever they needed more money they would raise the rate for HD programming, or your DVR rental, or whatever else they could dream up.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:53 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,323 times
I've had the same rate on my comcast bundle for at least 6 years. It started out as a special 3 year price deal and when that ended I called them fully expecting to have to haggle or go back to where I was before but they signed me up again, it was a first time customer 3 year deal, for another 3 years and just last year they made the price for my bundle the normal price. It is basically phone, internet, HD TV with 2 DVRs + all the movie channels with on demand and wifi for $120. I'm not sure what my son pays for his google fiber but its comparable and he doesn't have all the channels I do. i live in an apartment so I'm stuck with comcast but I'm satisfied.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m
They dont wanna hear the customers complain so they end up paying for it and raise prices......

Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 PM

https://arstechnica.com/information-...kes-acsi-says/

"Satisfaction with pay-TV providers dropped industry-wide, tying the segment with Internet service (a product offered by the same companies) for last place in the ACSI’s rankings. "

"Comcast has blamed price increases on things it doesn’t control, namely the amount it must pay for programming. "

Do they honestly even try to fight the price increases on programming from the media companies??

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 05-28-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 02:38 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
came across this recently:
comcast class-action lawsuit

Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Disney is the most expensive of the media companies and the current head of Comcast's TV division is a former Disney executive.
Just because he worked there doesn't mean he is in their pocket. In fact, it's probably the opposite now if he's any good at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet