Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Superior Browser
Chrome 4 50.00%
Netscape 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:22 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,413 times

Advertisements

Which is the superior browser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 02:32 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Netscape is like browsing in the ... 90's
I don't know anyone using it. I think last version was released about 10 years ago...
Chrome wins!

Last edited by elnina; 07-01-2017 at 02:41 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 04:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Unless we're factoring in "respect your elders," impossible to think of any reason why Chrome wouldn't win this. A fairer comparison would be Chrome v. FireFox, IE, Safari, Opera (and I still think Chrome would win, or at least be very competitive)

Old 07-01-2017, 07:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I didn't know Netscape still existed.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I think the OP either has a long memory and is unwilling to embrace change or is a time traveler from the late 1990s. Firefox came into existence in 2002.

Quote:
The origins of Firefox can be traced directly to Netscape, a compan*y whose Web browser, Netscape Navigator, was the dominant browser before Microsoft developed Internet Explorer. The internal company name for the browser was Mozilla. Eventually, Netscape released the source code for Navigator under an open source license, meaning anyone could see and use the code.
IOW, Netscape = Firefox in the present day.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Huh?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:55 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
I remember back in 1993, my boss at the Joint Intelligence Center-Pacific (Pearl Harbor) Admiral Lowell Jacoby, came back from Champaign, IL, clutching a 3.5 floppy containing a beta of Mosaic saying, "This is the future." We said, "Huh?"

Old 07-03-2017, 11:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I remember back in 1993, my boss at the Joint Intelligence Center-Pacific (Pearl Harbor) Admiral Lowell Jacoby, came back from Champaign, IL, clutching a 3.5 floppy containing a beta of Mosaic saying, "This is the future." We said, "Huh?"
LOL! Hahaha! Well, obviously, I know about Netscape, but the thread is just odd. Is this OP trying to say which is the all time best ever browser, Chrome or Netscape? Now that would put the thread in a bit more understandable context, but as it reads, it's as if to say that Netscape is still a current, viable option for web browsing, which it no longer is.

That aside, I was always a HUGE Netscape user. In fact, Netscape was the only choice of internet browsing for me in the 90's. I never, never, ever used internet explorer. I was sad to see Netscape go, but Firefox was a proper replacement. I did use Google Chrome, almost exclusively, for about three or four years, and within the last couple years, I've since migrated back to Mozilla Firefox. We just seem to have some web apps at work that work better with Firefox than Chrome, so it's gotten me back into the habit of using Firefox on traditional computers. That said, I do use Chrome and Safari on my iPad, and right now, use mostly Safari on my Macbook Pro.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
LOL! Hahaha! Well, obviously, I know about Netscape, but the thread is just odd. Is this OP trying to say which is the all time best ever browser, Chrome or Netscape? Now that would put the thread in a bit more understandable context, but as it reads, it's as if to say that Netscape is still a current, viable option for web browsing, which it no longer is.

That aside, I was always a HUGE Netscape user. In fact, Netscape was the only choice of internet browsing for me in the 90's. I never, never, ever used internet explorer. I was sad to see Netscape go, but Firefox was a proper replacement. I did use Google Chrome, almost exclusively, for about three or four years, and within the last couple years, I've since migrated back to Mozilla Firefox. We just seem to have some web apps at work that work better with Firefox than Chrome, so it's gotten me back into the habit of using Firefox on traditional computers. That said, I do use Chrome and Safari on my iPad, and right now, use mostly Safari on my Macbook Pro.
I use Firebox and IE side-by-side at work (lots of proprietary work apps were written for IE), but Firefox and Chrome side by side at home.

Some websites are quirky with one or the other.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
I use opera, chrome, microsoft and firefox.

For just run of the mill browsing opera is by far the best. Then firefox followed by chrome. Internet Explorer is for "special" cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet