Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

The Apple TV is convenient if you use other apple devices such as iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Apple computers. However, I have no idea which one (Apple TV or Roku) streams 4K or now. I am happy with the Apple TV because of the reasons above, but sometimes I want to toss the small remote agains a wall. It's too sleek and easy to drop, and has too many control options one the tiny pad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Does the Roku perform iPhone/iPad mirroring as well and as easily as the apple TV does?
https://drfone.wondershare.com/iphon...e-to-roku.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Isn't Roku a lot cheaper??
Roku Express starts at $30. It is wireless but it only supports 802.11 b/g/n standards. The cheap model does NOT have :
  1. Ultra HD video resolution
  2. Wireless: 802.11ac dual-band MIMO
  3. Voice remote with TV power and volume buttons and jack for private listening
  4. Storage Expansion
  5. Ethernet port
  6. MicroSD slot
  7. USB port
They recommend the three levels as follows
$29.99 Great for: First-time streamers Extra TVs Easy gifting: Express
$49.99 Great for: Wall-mounted TVs Reducing clutter Hotel & dorm use: Streaming Stick®
$99.99 Great for: Living rooms & primary TVs Home theaters Heavy streamers: Roku Ultra

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-28-2018 at 03:35 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 10:32 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
We have both. We use the Roku simply as an access to streaming service. If you are a cord cutter get a tv with Roku built in and you will also have a guide for your antenna channels and a designated button on your remote for them. We got YouTube TV and stream it through Roku on two different TV sets in addition to tablets. Two sticks is half the price of one Apple.

As far as the Apple goes as is mentioned above it connects all your Apple stuff well. We have an iMac, MacBook, and three iPads, in addition to two iPhones. Mirroring, audio, access to files is all pretty smooth.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:33 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We have both. We use the Roku simply as an access to streaming service. If you are a cord cutter get a tv with Roku built in and you will also have a guide for your antenna channels and a designated button on your remote for them. We got YouTube TV and stream it through Roku on two different TV sets in addition to tablets. Two sticks is half the price of one Apple.

As far as the Apple goes as is mentioned above it connects all your Apple stuff well. We have an iMac, MacBook, and three iPads, in addition to two iPhones. Mirroring, audio, access to files is all pretty smooth.
That's exactly what I have, except we only have two iPads. I may have mentioned before, but I may be the only human on the planet that doesn't really care for an iPad. My MacBook Pro does all the things the iPad does, and does them better. And it has a real keyboard. I'm sure you can get an iPad external keyboard but that's something else to haul around and possibly leave in a hotel room somewhere.

I also have some inactive things ... an iPhone 6 and a white MacBook that I check occasionally for things I didn't move to the new Pro.

I may just get a Roku Ultra for 4K and other features. One problem I've had with Roku is that I have to sign in again occasionally, and that's not a trivial thing to do (at least for me it's not ... there's likely an easy way). Don't know if Apple TV would have that issue.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Reading that article makes me feel that while it may be on the way, the Roku definitely does not currently handle playing things from my apple devices nearly as easily & smoothly as my old apple tv does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's exactly what I have, except we only have two iPads. I may have mentioned before, but I may be the only human on the planet that doesn't really care for an iPad. My MacBook Pro does all the things the iPad does, and does them better. And it has a real keyboard. I'm sure you can get an iPad external keyboard but that's something else to haul around and possibly leave in a hotel room somewhere.

I also have some inactive things ... an iPhone 6 and a white MacBook that I check occasionally for things I didn't move to the new Pro.

I may just get a Roku Ultra for 4K and other features. One problem I've had with Roku is that I have to sign in again occasionally, and that's not a trivial thing to do (at least for me it's not ... there's likely an easy way). Don't know if Apple TV would have that issue.
My mom has a keyboard she likes for her iPad, it attaches to the iPad as part of the case. I personally don't find it necessary because I don't use the iPad for heavy typing activities, that's not where it shines. It shines as a reader or "tv" you can use anywhere and not have a big computer on your lap. (I'm writing this post on my laptop, although I do write shorter posts from my iPad.) You could also use that older iPhone you have as a media player for podcasts, music, etc, that's what I still do with my iPhone 4.

Signing in on the apple tv with the remote is a pain in the butt, so I usually use the remote app on the iPhone so I can use the keyboard to type in the password. I only have to do this when my internet is acting up and disconnects me regularly.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM

325 posts, read 163,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Isn't Roku a lot cheaper??
um yea

Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 PM

325 posts, read 163,774 times
i have rokus all over the house i love them all. and roku has the most streaming apps out there also. i hated the damm remote to the apple tv!!!

Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Reading that article makes me feel that while it may be on the way, the Roku definitely does not currently handle playing things from my apple devices nearly as easily & smoothly as my old apple tv does.

My mom has a keyboard she likes for her iPad, it attaches to the iPad as part of the case. I personally don't find it necessary because I don't use the iPad for heavy typing activities, that's not where it shines. It shines as a reader or "tv" you can use anywhere and not have a big computer on your lap. (I'm writing this post on my laptop, although I do write shorter posts from my iPad.) You could also use that older iPhone you have as a media player for podcasts, music, etc, that's what I still do with my iPhone 4.

Signing in on the apple tv with the remote is a pain in the butt, so I usually use the remote app on the iPhone so I can use the keyboard to type in the password. I only have to do this when my internet is acting up and disconnects me regularly.
Thanks for the info. I have the 13" MacBook Pro and it's not really cumbersome. I have used the iPad to watch things on ESPN Plus (or whatever it's called) but I can also do that on my laptop. For that matter, I can use my Roku to watch it on my television. Regarding using the iPad as an e-reader ... good idea, but I can only stare at a screen for so long before my vision gets blurry ... I do much better with paper books. I guess I should give it another try ... ebooks are certainly a lot less expensive, and easier to store. We have many bookcases filled with books in the house and I have Amazon Prime so a lot of titles would be free (or more accurately, included).

I ordered my iPhone 8 Plus Verizon online because none of the local company stores had them in stock. I could have sent the 6 back for a $120 tradein but never did. Using it as a media player is an excellent idea. There's nothing wrong with it and I got extra storage (64K, I think, which is now standard on the 8) so I may as well get some use from it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
AirPlay is still better.

Quote:

Right! The remote app is so good that I haven't needed the actual remote in ages.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:04 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Here's another option: nVidia Shield.

It costs more, but I really like the versatility. I also own a Roku Ultra along with a Roku TV.

I like both but find the Shield has more capabilities.

It all depends what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet