Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2019, 08:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,799,539 times

Advertisements

First I started checking online for prices.

I have Comcast I"m sure their algorithm sees me looking around for prices online.

I'm on the $40 a month plan with unlimited home internet speeds supposedly increased to 100gb from 50ish but I don't see a big difference.

My plan was up in a month or two hard to figure out because they try to lie and increase it without letting you know when it's up.

the trick is to call the cancellation department.

Regular billing will always say no, even with cancellation you have to fight with them but if they can lock you in to 12 months at a great price it's worth it. I just wanted the same plan and i"ve called before and been told no it's not longer available but today I got lucky. I think they may go down to $30 with this new plan which would be great, but he said with online billing and auto pay but I already have that but I'm happy with even $40 a month since last time I let it expire and they made me go from $30 to $40. Had they gone higher than $40 I might have quit anyway. there is not a lot of competition here which sucks.

Also always select yes when asked if you will take a call back survey they know they have to treat you better.

update, just checked the email and it will be $40 because they will lie on the phone, just make sure they don't lie too much because you are stuck in a plan unless you cancel in 30 days.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 10-05-2019 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

I'm on the $40 a month plan with unlimited home internet speeds supposedly increased to 100gb from 50ish but I don't see a big difference.

Nearly all web servers/services are not going to deliver content that fast and may even limit it per connection, realistically 50Mbps is way more than the average person might need. Even full quality HD blu ray would only be about 25Mbps, most of these video streaming services are delivering about 6Mbps for "HD".

The other thing is if you are just doing something like browsing the web downloading many small files will take longer than one large one. There is overhead involved with that which can take more time than actually transferring the file. Even if you are transferring say a few million 10 KB files from one drive to another it's going to take much longer than a single file of equal size...much more longer.

Where you might see difference is servers designed to max out the connection like a dedicated download service that currently doesn't have a lot of traffic.

It's only when you have multiple people in the house simultaneously using high bandwidth services where this really starts to make a difference.

Quote:
the trick is to call the cancellation department.
This is open secret with Comcast, I even had sales support mention it recently while changing my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet