Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 08:46 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Fumble requires javascript and fails to serve up their video as proper file streams.
Fumble requires cookies to even access their site (after the first visit while withholding outbound cookies). One of their cookies "_ad" hmmm what's that used for...
"We collect your Personal Information" lol of course
Uses web beacons
If you allow Fumble to run their javascript in your browser, it will instruct your system to make connections to facebook.com, googleapis.com, googletagmanager.com, doubleclick.net, and jsdelivr.net
"fbevents.js" ooooh that sounds benign lololol

Rumble is an absolute dumpster fire, it's almost as bad as youtube.

What's hilarious to me is that you have a sizable crowd who proclaim "that's it! Youtube is censoring things I like. I'm moving to RUMBLE where I won't be mistreated!"
Yeah okay lol how's that working out for ya?
You just can't help some people.
Ummm, you got sources for any of these assertions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 09:05 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:

Rumble is an absolute dumpster fire, it's almost as bad as youtube.

What's hilarious to me is that you have a sizable crowd who proclaim "that's it! Youtube is censoring things I like. I'm moving to RUMBLE where I won't be mistreated!"
Yeah okay lol how's that working out for ya?
You just can't help some people.
So true. Rumble is a joke. Its where all the magats went they didnt like YT not allowing them to spew their hateful filth and complete untruths about guns, abortion and anti LGBQT stuff.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
This article says that Google has plans for a big new weapon that'll be applied to the Chrome browser, to be rolled out next year. Something so infallible that they don't mind the details being released in advance, evidently! I suppose once they make this addition, the question will be whether other browsers will be able to do what Chrome won't. If that's possible, Google might find users of Chrome moving elsewhere.

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/...nsion-updates/

Old 12-03-2023, 07:04 PM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Ummm, you got sources for any of these assertions?
Aloha. My own personal investigation using my usual toolset. I AM the primary source, boyo!

:c ool:
Attached Thumbnails
Youtube attempt to lock out ad blockers-bf.png  

Old 12-04-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Aloha. My own personal investigation using my usual toolset. I AM the primary source, boyo!

Ok, thanks.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:07 AM

3,643 posts, read 1,597,875 times
I'm ok with the YT ads because once again YT to the rescue when my toilet wasn't flushing. Watched YT and fixed it myself. And too many other YT's to mention that helped me fix my washer, dryer, disposal, etc

What I don't want is cookies that track what I do online etc so I do not log in to YT and use a vpn and YT thinks I'm in the Netherlands. I will log in sometimes to post a comment. But I also browse in a sandbox so I can delete everything a browser might have downloaded. You close the sandboxed browser and every cookie, and everything the browser may have downloaded, is gone.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I'm ok with the YT ads because once again YT to the rescue when my toilet wasn't flushing. Watched YT and fixed it myself. And too many other YT's to mention that helped me fix my washer, dryer, disposal, etc

What I don't want is cookies that track what I do online etc so I do not log in to YT and use a vpn and YT thinks I'm in the Netherlands. I will log in sometimes to post a comment. But I also browse in a sandbox so I can delete everything a browser might have downloaded. You close the sandboxed browser and every cookie, and everything the browser may have downloaded, is gone.
I don't have any problem with YouTube ads, either, until they get too long. I generally give them about two minutes, and then click on skip ad. I was mostly reading this thread out of curiosity, until someone mentioned Rumble, that got the thread side tracked a bit.

I am curious about "sandboxed browser" though.
What sort of OS and browser are you running?

Old 12-04-2023, 03:08 PM

3,643 posts, read 1,597,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I don't have any problem with YouTube ads, either, until they get too long. I generally give them about two minutes, and then click on skip ad. I was mostly reading this thread out of curiosity, until someone mentioned Rumble, that got the thread side tracked a bit.

I am curious about "sandboxed browser" though.
What sort of OS and browser are you running?
Search for Sandboxie Plus. Free. There's a few YT help videos too. It will isolate any .exe including browsers. You can even install an .exe inside sandboxie. When you close the program, everything is erased inside the sandbox.

I've already installed Brave. Sandboxie adds 'Run Sandboxed' on the right click menu of any program or shortcut. Just click that and Brave, or any other program, runs in a sandbox. Sandboxie puts a yellow box around the browser or program, showing you it's in the sandbox, isolated from your system files.

Everything runs as normal in a sandbox. A nefarious website downloading things you don't want doesn't matter. It's all in the sandbox. If you download something you want to keep you will get a prompt to Recover, so it moves that download out of the sandbox to your normal Downloads folder.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Search for Sandboxie Plus. Free. There's a few YT help videos too. It will isolate any .exe including browsers. You can even install an .exe inside sandboxie. When you close the program, everything is erased inside the sandbox.

I've already installed Brave. Sandboxie adds 'Run Sandboxed' on the right click menu of any program or shortcut. Just click that and Brave, or any other program, runs in a sandbox. Sandboxie puts a yellow box around the browser or program, showing you it's in the sandbox, isolated from your system files.

Everything runs as normal in a sandbox. A nefarious website downloading things you don't want doesn't matter. It's all in the sandbox. If you download something you want to keep you will get a prompt to Recover, so it moves that download out of the sandbox to your normal Downloads folder.
Thanks. I will look into that.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:40 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
YouTube seems to be on a masochistic, self-destructive path by increasing the number and length of ads. I used to just let a 15 second ad play rather than go to the trouble of skipping it mid-way through. Now I skip ads whenever possible.

Remember Clear Channel Communications? As they bought up radio stations, they increased the number of ads, saying they were in the advertising business, not the music business. This business plan did not go well for them. Ad revenues and listener numbers both plummeted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet