Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

Here is what is offered: Order High-Speed Internet (http://www.connecttocenturytel.com/dsl-internet.html - broken link)

Obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I have been using cable service for years and I will go nuts if my connection is slow. A friend uses this service; he got the cheapest package and he says it is so-so. I have a brand new laptop, if it matters.

Which DSL package should I chose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM

Also, the plan was to set up a desktop computer w/ internet, and then use my router for wireless internet for my laptop. That's what I'm doing at my aunt's and the internet company wasn't involved at all. I just hooked up the router to her cable modem. However, these folks state on their website that there is an extra charge if you want a wireless connection in the house. It says:

Wireless Home Networking
Add Home Networking to your existing CenturyTel DSL connection for only $9.95 a month plus the purchase of a Home Networking gateway for only $99.95.
Share your existing DSL connection with multiple computers.
Connect to the Internet wirelessly anywhere in your home.
2Wire 1700HG Gateway
This Gateway is neccesary to set up a wireless home network. It allows you to share your DSL Internet connection across multiple computers.
4 port ethernet router
USB port
802.11G wireless
$3.95/month
$14.95 Initial Charge

Being that I have a router already, would it be necessary for me to pay for this added feature?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
The only ISP that I would suggest using their equipment is Verizon FiOS (and they don't charge you for it). And that's only if you're using their TV service as well. The STBs connect to the router.... not even sure how that would work with one's own router.

As for your run of the mill ISP - you should not have to buy a router from them (especially when most will give it away for signing up). If they are trying to force you to spend more money, I would look elsewhere.

You mentioned you had cable.... are you dissatisfied with them? Most cable companies these days provide a fairly high bandwidth (5+ Mbits) as the competition has gotten heated with all the different providers. For example, I'm getting 10Mb down for $40.

Also - Some ISPs are putting a hard cap on bandwidth utilization these days.... meaning you may get a nasty letter threatning disconnect or extra charges if you go above that cap. I think Comcast will be enforcing that any day now (250Gb cap??). So read the fine print if you do a lot of multimedia streaming (i.e. ipTV, netflix etc..).

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM

The cable company where I am moving to, does not offer internet service.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I will go nuts if my connection is slow.
That quote tells me that you should get the fastest connection you can afford. I have 6 Mbps DSL from AT&T, twice as fast as the fastest option on your list, and it suits me just fine. It's officially 2MB slower than the 8 Mbps cable modem service it replaced, but it's much more dependable and I've never found the difference to be significant.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Christina, it really depends on what you want to do with the internet. If you're mostly reading stuff and checking email then the basic package is good. If you want to watch episodes of the Sarah Connor Chronicles then the 3.0 package may be better, tho' the 1.5 would be suitable.

If you're not sure and want to spare the twenty bucks, get the 1.5. If you decide it's to slow call them and tell them you want to upgrade to the 3.0. It may take a couple of days for them to click the gui box but shouldn't be a problem for you.

CenturyTel doesn't describe their connection so I'll assume it a wireless modem in your home. If so, then you'll run the CAT5 from the wireless modem to your own router, then to your PC or wireless to your laptop. How you do that is none of their business. Don't give them extra money.

You might want to check out BroadBand Reports to research. If in your area you can get Clearwire, you might check them out as an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet