Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to empty out my files from my work computer. I use it to back up the home computer with files that we just can't afford to lose; my husband's books, basic photos, etc. However, because I may be taking a new job soon I need to find a new place to back up all this information. I tried flash drives, but the 2G (I think that's what it's called?) flash barely held a fraction of the info I have on here. I'd need dozens of them.

So, does anyone know of an on-line program you can go to that will let you save your documents for free? I know there are paid sites; just hoped to avoid any cost. I'm trying to weed through the vast number of photos and download them there so I'd only be left with documents and spreadsheets and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
If I read your OP right, you're looking for a new place to backup your home computer.

I highly recommend Carbonite. It's not free, but it's remarkably cheap and it's a true "set it and forget it" solution. They have a free trial and then it's $50 per year after that, for unlimited backup/storage. You can't beat that deal with a stick.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If I read your OP right, you're looking for a new place to backup your home computer.

I highly recommend Carbonite. It's not free, but it's remarkably cheap and it's a true "set it and forget it" solution. They have a free trial and then it's $50 per year after that, for unlimited backup/storage. You can't beat that deal with a stick.
Good recommend!! Thanks.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Get a external drive, then get some software that will allow you to schedule a task to sync your files on the external drive on a daily/hourly basis. Automatic and done deal.

IF you want to use a service for backing up online get a cheap hosting package for $5 to $10 a month. They offer a lot of space and you have complete control of the files.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
IF you want to use a service for backing up online get a cheap hosting package for $5 to $10 a month. They offer a lot of space and you have complete control of the files.
If you try this route, read the terms of service carefully - virtually all of the cheap hosts have clauses which specifically prohibit using their web servers for storing backups.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
If you use a free service, where is that free service going to get money to stay in business to store your backups? Maybe from selling your data? And if the free backup company does go out if business, will they wipe their hard drives clear of your data before they auction them off?

The thought of backing up to a free service makes me shudder. Some things should not be acquired for free.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you use a free service, where is that free service going to get money to stay in business to store your backups? Maybe from selling your data? And if the free backup company does go out if business, will they wipe their hard drives clear of your data before they auction them off?

The thought of backing up to a free service makes me shudder. Some things should not be acquired for free.
Same with using a web server. Not the best plan... I do keep copies of some things on my web server, but I own the server, nothing is kept in a web accessible directory and I don't store anything sensitive on it. It's just for keeping redundant copies of software installers and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet