Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,479,154 times

Advertisements

I haven't understood that either. If I'm going to pay for streaming TV, I'm going to make sure it's legit. Playstation Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu Live, SlingTV - all legit. And of course, the streaming apps from DirecTV, Spectrum, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,799,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, if I am going to steal content, I am not paying someone else for it. Who does that?
You are not stealing anything. It's already stolen by the people who upload the content. At most you are watching stolen goods.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Free, but not legal. I’d be worried about catching a virus too.

https://thehightechsociety.com/123mo...treaming-site/
Ive been watching movies on these sites for a couple years, never had any problems.

There is some advertising you have to sit thru, in order to watch the movies though, I noticed the article didnt mention that little tidbit! Example, I had to watch a 2 minute Toyota ad before Avengers Infinity war would play. When Star Wars the Last Jedi came out, same thing, had to sit thru a 2-3 minute ad before the movie would play. If Toyota is using their site to advertise, i would assume its all legitimate.

I think this is how they are still in operation, the ads are fairly new. They are also not based in Vietnam as the article states, The one I go to is US based, in AZ actually.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,734,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You are not stealing anything. It's already stolen by the people who upload the content. At most you are watching stolen goods.
Aiding and abetting then?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
The companies that own the broadcast may not come after you directly but they will report you to your ISP who then may cut you off. If the activities continue you could get sued. It's already illegal in the UK.

You ISP may already be tracking traffic from illegal streams. You could use a VPN but that's another story.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,670,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive been watching movies on these sites for a couple years, never had any problems.

There is some advertising you have to sit thru, in order to watch the movies though, I noticed the article didnt mention that little tidbit! Example, I had to watch a 2 minute Toyota ad before Avengers Infinity war would play. When Star Wars the Last Jedi came out, same thing, had to sit thru a 2-3 minute ad before the movie would play. If Toyota is using their site to advertise, i would assume its all legitimate.

I think this is how they are still in operation, the ads are fairly new. They are also not based in Vietnam as the article states, The one I go to is US based, in AZ actually.
Neither of the movies you mentioned is available on any free streaming source (Infinity War is still in theaters, so it's not even available on any paid services).

Old 06-08-2018, 08:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
If somebody stole a car, and you are aware they stole the car, yet you accept a ride to work from them everyday, are you complicit? You’re just riding in a car somebody else stole..

Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,799,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If somebody stole a car, and you are aware they stole the car, yet you accept a ride to work from them everyday, are you complicit? You’re just riding in a car somebody else stole..
This is a good point. I guess it comes down to whether you are aware if it's a stolen car. Robin Hood robs a bank and throw the money on the street before disappearing. You walk along and pick up some of the money. Are you stealing that money? You get a ticket for speeding. However, the street has no posted speed limit. You are not aware of the speed limit because there is no posted speed limit. Is that ticket valid?

If I see warnings about illegal contents from hosting sites and servers, I would not watch the contents. Unfortunately, content hosting sites and servers do not say anything, so it's impossible for people to tell if what they are watching is legal or not.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,734,014 times
I actually tried the Kodi + Hack thing. It sucks. Install this, go here, do this, run this, run this search, wait, pause...oh it's not available. Try again.
I'd rather just pay a service.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:28 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Quote:
This is a good point. I guess it comes down to whether you are aware if it's a stolen car. Robin Hood robs a bank and throw the money on the street before disappearing. You walk along and pick up some of the money. Are you stealing that money? You get a ticket for speeding. However, the street has no posted speed limit. You are not aware of the speed limit because there is no posted speed limit. Is that ticket valid?

If I see warnings about illegal contents from hosting sites and servers, I would not watch the contents. Unfortunately, content hosting sites and servers do not say anything, so it's impossible for people to tell if what they are watching is legal or not.

I don't disagree totally, but the phrase, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" comes to mind while reading your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet