Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If hyper inflation hits, or the dollar collapses....you won't be bragging.

Silver has went from $5 to about $50 in a few short years. Have your investments done better?
If hyperinflation hits and the dollar collapses then gold and silver isn't really going to do you much good either because the financial world will essentially be in chaos. I tend to call gold and silver "Panic metals" because that's precisely what they are. Gold and Silver are also wildly volatile and can dramatically swing one way or another.

My stocks are doing just fine and have gone up almost 50% in a year and a half. A lot of them are in things like energy, commodities, everyday product manufactures ( toilet paper, etc) and so on. Even if the financial world goes to hell and a handbasket people are still gonna' buy toilet paper and gas. Maybe they'll buy em' with gold bars but the company profits will still be represented with their stock price which would directly affect the value of the stock I have invested with that company.

Anyway- to each his own. If buying chunks of gold and silver makes people feel comfy then that's what they should buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
I bought some almost a year and half ago and wished at the time I could have bought more. Still doing well though.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
If hyperinflation hits and the dollar collapses then gold and silver isn't really going to do you much good either because the financial world will essentially be in chaos. I tend to call gold and silver "Panic metals" because that's precisely what they are. Gold and Silver are also wildly volatile and can dramatically swing one way or another.

My stocks are doing just fine and have gone up almost 50% in a year and a half. A lot of them are in things like energy, commodities, everyday product manufactures ( toilet paper, etc) and so on. Even if the financial world goes to hell and a handbasket people are still gonna' buy toilet paper and gas. Maybe they'll buy em' with gold bars but the company profits will still be represented with their stock price which would directly affect the value of the stock I have invested with that company.

Anyway- to each his own. If buying chunks of gold and silver makes people feel comfy then that's what they should buy.
Hmmm....perhaps I should buy another sexy mannequin. They never nag and I feel comfy lookin at them.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
No, and I definitely wouldn't at these prices. Fear is inflating the silver and gold markets right now...all it takes are a few big fund managers to sell out and the whole thing comes down like a deck of cards, leaving the little guy holding the bag.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I personally don't invest in metals.
Ooh. I want to play too!

Here goes....I personally dont invest in pork bellies.

Who's next?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Hmmm....perhaps I should buy another sexy mannequin. They never nag and I feel comfy lookin at them.
Wait, are you the guy who had posted on here (I forget the exact thrust of the post) that you had somehow been given the shaft and ended up with a garage full of dildos you were unable to unload?

Did anything ever come of it?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Wait, are you the guy who had posted on here (I forget the exact thrust of the post) that you had somehow been given the shaft and ended up with a garage full of dildos you were unable to unload?

The correct plural form is "dildi". If only they were silver dildi, then he'd be living like a king.

I like the use of the words "thrust", "unload" and "shaft" here though, very illustrative!

Also, I wonder if the "H" in JohnHAdams stands for "Holmes"?

Last edited by shaker281; 04-28-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I like the use of the words "thrust", "unload" and "shaft" here though, very illustrative!
But I snuck "ever come of it" by you didn't I?

Seriously though I forgot the exact story behind that, one of the weirdest things I've read on this forum. He was quite angry about it.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Wasn't me.

It does sound like an interesting story though. I'm trying to figure out how a mannequin evolved into a garage full of dildos.

If you have a mannequin that uses dildos, I'd like to see that.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Ooh. I want to play too!

Here goes....I personally dont invest in pork bellies.

Who's next?
I've never went short on a companies stock. Betting that a stock will fall just doesn't seem right.

Next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing