Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Fuel Fix » Scooby, Scrappy, Velma, and Efficient Market Hypothesis

Saw this article and thought I'd pass it on.

Do you think the market hypothesis has changed a whole bunch in the last 30 years with more 'computers' doing the trading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
If the markets were always efficient, bubbles would never form. The problem with the Efficient Market Hypothesis is that it cannot take into account individual human and human-herd behaviour. A better way to analyze the markets would be using Benoit Mandelbrot's fractal analysis and chaos theory. He wrote an interesting book that covers such a topic.

Amazon.com: The Misbehavior of Markets: A Fractal View of Financial Turbulence (9780465043576): Benoit Mandelbrot, Richard L. Hudson: Books

Another book explores the same topic but in a less rigorous manner. Akerlof and Shiller take on "animal spirits" (Milton Keynes coined this term) and markets.

Akerlof, G.A. and Shiller, R.: Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism.

Both were very interesting reads, but I would put Mandelbrot's at the top of any reading list for finance.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 AM

106,681 posts, read 108,856,202 times
while markets are good at digesting information it doesnt mean the information its digesting is correct information.

if you look at a broader time line than just in the moment then yes like water stocks level out at their correct level but not short term. .

look back at old long term charts spanning years and you go why of course the markets were down look at what happened over that time period. like looking at a chart of 2000-2010 and going of course the charts correct ,we had to back to back recessions.

eventually the mis-information goes away and things go back to where they should and the bubbles gone.

so in answer yes i believe markets are efficiant longer term but not short term.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Im not a believer because humans are irrational, and will interpret the same data differently.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Im not a believer because humans are irrational, and will interpret the same data differently.
Correct. Irrational behaviour = animal spirits in Keynes's terms.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM

286 posts, read 699,662 times
For most investors, the belief in riskless returns is like the belief in Jesus. Empirical arguments don't sway them. It's a matter of faith.

That aside, computers have fundamentally changed the investing landscape. Now, even arbitrage programs are ubiquitous. The real frontiers are programs that datamine/predict market sentiment into the future or reverse engineer the trading strategies of other hedgefunds/market movers. A large portion of trading volume is no longer based arbitrage opportunities, but the statistical guesses on other major investors' trading positions. This takes place over microseconds. An evolutionary system at its finest.

A human trader is better off doing other things, or investing in areas with more asymmetrical information.

Last edited by mcredux; 05-14-2011 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I majored in finance in '04.

-EMH, and most of academic finance is too clean for the real world. How does EMH explain Lehman Brothers or Bear Sterns at $60 or $70. Then in a few weeks, they go to $10!!

The fundamentals didn't really change. Weren't the CEO's of those companies coming out when the stocks were at $20 and $30 saying everything is fine.

One flaw in EMH is assuming that all information is true and knowable. Look at the rating agency scandals. How does EMH explain Fannie Mae? That was not "efficient".

I think for most stocks, like MMM or IBM, if you're trying to guess if a new product is going to make the stock go up or down, then the markets are fairly "efficient". Velma's detection skills would come in handy figuring out which drug Pfizer is going to make next. That would be valuable.

The financial crash of 08 sliced EMH to pieces IMO, if it wasn't there already. How does oil go from $140 one summer to $35...information alone doesn't account for the price drops.

No one cheats or steals in academic finance books. Everyone is "rational", acting in their best interest, etc. Crazy. Computers haven't changed supply and demand.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 AM

106,681 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i guess you can say the markets reacted to information about lehman that wasnt known yet . those black swan events are events not on anyones radar that pop up and give a brand new perception to something .
i would think one could argue that the efficiant market system is re-leveling itself to new perceptions.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I think taken over a macro view markets are inefficient but on a global view, things are pretty predictable. World population increase begets increase in needs for services and material, as does industrialization.

Chaotic information and the speed at which information flows has dramatically changed the landscape. Quant algos have also made things more complicated. It's my view that small time investors cannot and should not play short term.

A sibling of mine who works on the commodities exchange in Chicago told me a story once where information about the orange crop in Florida were due to be released. The information is released electronically so quant algos basically can within milliseconds start doing "appropriate action."

Well, the information came out, and his firm (which doesn't believe in quant algos when dealing with commodities or something like that) looked at the numbers and said "that has to be wrong" whereas the quants sold like crazy. Well, within a few minutes they re-released the numbers and they misplaced a decimal.

Oops. Their firm made a killing. The quants were destroyed.

So, short term, no, markets are anything but efficient. Long term, and using the proper mindset, they are predictable.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think taken over a macro view markets are inefficient but on a global view, things are pretty predictable. World population increase begets increase in needs for services and material, as does industrialization.

Chaotic information and the speed at which information flows has dramatically changed the landscape. Quant algos have also made things more complicated. It's my view that small time investors cannot and should not play short term.

A sibling of mine who works on the commodities exchange in Chicago told me a story once where information about the orange crop in Florida were due to be released. The information is released electronically so quant algos basically can within milliseconds start doing "appropriate action."

Well, the information came out, and his firm (which doesn't believe in quant algos when dealing with commodities or something like that) looked at the numbers and said "that has to be wrong" whereas the quants sold like crazy. Well, within a few minutes they re-released the numbers and they misplaced a decimal.

Oops. Their firm made a killing. The quants were destroyed.

So, short term, no, markets are anything but efficient. Long term, and using the proper mindset, they are predictable.
Wow, sounds like the modern day version of Trading Places. Except that Winthrop and Valentine would have gotten their ass handed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing