Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it is time to buy?
Yes 45 54.88%
No 37 45.12%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times

Advertisements

What do you think in the wake of the debt ceiling crisis and the doses of bad news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,715 times
I voted no, but I only use mutual funds, I am a long term investor and have a portfolio I am happy with. I do think, however, that it is time to find those you like and put them on a watch list and be prepared to act when the market meets one's specific criteria.

While our debt crisis is on hold, Europe is a mess and China is having issues. Long term, the outlook is still good.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
There's bad news....? Oh, you mean the noise of the past couple days?

It will be time for me in 12 days...

twice a month when money is deposited in my Vanguard IRA account...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
I agree Jack. All this debt deal noise has created a nice little buying opportunity.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I bought some stocks at 10% off its price... I am happy! I am not too greedy... its a long-term stock anyways... I usually buy long term because I am not smart enough to see a short term deal or know when its time to sell...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I voted no, but I only use mutual funds, I am a long term investor and have a portfolio I am happy with. I do think, however, that it is time to find those you like and put them on a watch list and be prepared to act when the market meets one's specific criteria.

While our debt crisis is on hold, Europe is a mess and China is having issues. Long term, the outlook is still good.
Good point. That's what I do, too, regarding watching stocks. As such, I wish I was happy with my portfolio/IRA like you are with your portfolio. I will be eating [stolen] cat or dog food under a bridge when I get to my 60s. My Vanguard mutual funds are taking a beating.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
It feels like it, but I'd wait for buying interest to re-emerge. I'll take missing out on a 3-4% run up to make sure a 15% fall isn't still out there before the real bargain hunters are unleashed on the market.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Well, I buy every month rain or shine; however, if you mean to put in a big chunk at once NOW, I'd wait till the Dow drops a bit more. The 11000 range doesn't seem particularly historically low. We can do a lot worse.

Still happy about picking up GE at 13 a while back...it hasn't looked back since.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
The stock market will collapse when government stops funneling huge amounts of "stimulus" and "bailouts" straight to the top. Much of that cash flow is built in, but it should be apparent to all that the era of Big Government is at an end. They cannot keep spending at a rate that adds $1.6 trillion a year to an already unpayable national debt of $14.6 trillion. They cannot keep simply devaluing the dollar to nothing, to offset all the borrowing. They WILL lose AAA credit rating, and they WILL lose the dollar as reserve currency of the world. No way around it. We have a year, possibly two. When those things happen, all hell breaks loose in the economy.

Even if more games are played to put off the inevitable collapse, the Baby Boom will be taking their investment money out of the Stock Market to pay for retirement. Due to leveraging (there are more mutual funds than companies owned by mutual funds), every dollar is worth more than a dollar to the system. When those dollars are taken out of markets, there will be a HUGE ripple effect.

The current working class does not get paid near as well as the Baby Boom did, and they have to work twice as hard. They won't be investing in retirement like the Baby Boom did. There are just not enough well-paying jobs left in America to support the current stock market. It will lose money as the Baby Boom retires. The current government effort to prop up the stock market with government spending is not sustainable--either the working class is robbed of the money by taxes but gets no benefit by having the investment themselves, or the Federal Government just prints the money through the Fed (supposedly borrowing it) and thereby devalues the entire currency further.

Like everything else in our nation's economy, the Stock Market has been so manipulated that it is no longer a valid store of value. It's yet another false way to manipulate huge sums of currency, all destined to fail as the whole house of cards comes down in a few years.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
I'm starting to buy, but routinely do every 4-6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing