Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

I doubled my stake in Facebook today because of its drop, making it my 2nd largest holding! The market loves growth and their earnings report showed it. Their growth is actually accelerating. I'm up around 11% with Facebook, but I think it is one of the best growth stocks in this market. They are investing everything back into the company in order to grow it. I have a friend that works there and he honestly believes Zuckerberg is dead set on becoming number one in the Valley. He said morale is exceptionally high and virtually everyone is more than satisfied with his leadership. The mobile trend fears are over, 30% of their revenue is from mobile and it was 0% not that long ago.

Other than Facebook, I think many financials have more room to grow. I would suggest big financials such as Wells Fargo, Citibank, and Bank of America. I would also suggest insurance financials such as Radian, AIG, Genworth, and Hartford. I think auto companies, namely Ford and General Motors still have room to grow too.

---

What stocks do you think are good buys in today's record markets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Yes, financials remain undervalued despite recent gains. BAC, C, USB, WFC and JPM among the big banks, and regionals like FITB and HBAN are all at attractive levels, as are tech stocks like INTC and CSCO and industrials like GE, F, DE and ITW are all still relatively inexpensive. I also like COP and BP in the energy sector, and if you're a little more of a risk taker, you can also look for bargains in the heavily beaten up sectors like copper (FCX), coal (BTU), steel (NUE) and shipping (NM). There are also tons of small caps out there that are still fairly cheap - NPK, SBSI, WASH, FF, PETS, and CALM are all small cap stocks that I like. Let the others chase after the LNKD's and the NFLX's, I'll keep looking for the bargains, and there's plenty of them out there.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,724 times
I look to value first, growth second.

What I mean by that is - of the examples mentioned here, I own BAC, GNW and GM, bought 18, 10 and 9 months ago respectively. While I am optimistic about their growth prospects and intend to hold them for many years, I will likely not add to any of these positions. I bought them because they were bargains, which is less true right now.

I really don't care if their earnings estimates are wrong (notice I did not say "they beat or miss estimates").

Old 05-04-2013, 03:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I doubled my stake in Facebook today because of its drop, making it my 2nd largest holding! The market loves growth and their earnings report showed it. Their growth is actually accelerating. I'm up around 11% with Facebook, but I think it is one of the best growth stocks in this market. They are investing everything back into the company in order to grow it. I have a friend that works there and he honestly believes Zuckerberg is dead set on becoming number one in the Valley. He said morale is exceptionally high and virtually everyone is more than satisfied with his leadership. The mobile trend fears are over, 30% of their revenue is from mobile and it was 0% not that long ago.

Other than Facebook, I think many financials have more room to grow. I would suggest big financials such as Wells Fargo, Citibank, and Bank of America. I would also suggest insurance financials such as Radian, AIG, Genworth, and Hartford. I think auto companies, namely Ford and General Motors still have room to grow too.

---

What stocks do you think are good buys in today's record markets?
Cramer was really pumping up FB.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
I look to value first, growth second.

What I mean by that is - of the examples mentioned here, I own BAC, GNW and GM, bought 18, 10 and 9 months ago respectively. While I am optimistic about their growth prospects and intend to hold them for many years, I will likely not add to any of these positions. I bought them because they were bargains, which is less true right now.

I really don't care if their earnings estimates are wrong (notice I did not say "they beat or miss estimates").
I think GM has room to grow because Europe is still a depressed market and I think China may be able to avoid a major bubble if Europe recovers in time.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Cramer was really pumping up FB.
I saw that, which is a little scary because when he pumps a stock it usually drops in the short-term, but oh well. I like the changes Facebook has made and believe now they are on track to monetizing their users. This risk is high, so no one should buy it if they want to play it safe.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 PM

In my post above, I forgot to mention BDC's, many of which are very undervalued and offer nice dividend yields. I like ACAS, which offers no dividend but trades at a significan discount to book and is rapidly paying down debt and buying back shares, and PSEC, which offers a 12% yield, paid monthly. Those are my favorites, but many other BDCs are trading at very attractive levels. Check out MAIN, TCAP, TICC, and AINV, among several others. There's a lot to like in this sector.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:25 PM

What American financial companies do you think would benefit the most from a European recovery?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
What American financial companies do you think would benefit the most from a European recovery?
C, by far. I also like F and and PM as plays on a European recovery.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
C, by far. I also like F and and PM as plays on a European recovery.
I agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing