Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times

Advertisements

What happened? This is the first miss. Did analyst estimate too high? I am in shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,737,409 times
Think of it in realistic terms, how long can people keep buying new phones and iPads? It gets old.

They need to get out of their one trick pony show and diversify fast.

It's tough to up sales every quarter, even for Apple.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Meh. Given how 4S sales just shattered records, how they've now developed a phone that works both domestically and in foreign countries, and how they continue to strengthen their various revenue streams, I'd call it a hiccup.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,311,754 times
They still crushed their own guidance, met/beat the street with iPad/Mac sales, guided next quarter higher, only missed due to iPhone sales right before a new launch. They also raised their guidance for the next quarter.

Obviously it seems the stock will open lower tomorrow, but my view is the pattern will resemble Jobs' resignation: down a lot after hours, open lower (but higher than AH) and close slightly lower but much higher than at market open.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM

106,754 posts, read 108,973,015 times
im not into speculating anymore but if i was i would short apple and go long bank of america at this point.

can apple maintain its growth and earnings as the biggest market capilized stock on the planet? maybe but more likely not.

on the other hand BOA is beaten to a pulp and has a load of trouble. but longer term i think they will appreciate nicely from here.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,737,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im not into speculating anymore but if i was i would short apple and go long bank of america at this point.

can apple maintain its growth and earnings as the biggest market capilized stock on the planet? maybe but more likely not.

on the other hand BOA is beaten to a pulp and has a load of trouble. but longer term i think they will appreciate nicely from here.
Agreed.

It's been my long term ambition to successfully short apple in the eyes of the apple fans.

I am preparing money to go long on BAC. Hoping for the 4 range to buy.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,319,182 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%, in fact, I'm on the BAC long side already. As for Apple, I don't listen to Jim Cramer much, but he was right the other day when he said that Apple is at the point now where they have to set new sales records every quarter just to maintain their momentum, and that's impossible to do for very long, even for a company as incredible as Apple.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Well, Apple actually hit its guidance marks. I mean, sheesh, we are talking about a company that only had a 39% jump in revenue and a 54% uptick in profit. What a dog of a company this has turned out to be.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Think of it in realistic terms, how long can people keep buying new phones and iPads? It gets old.

They need to get out of their one trick pony show and diversify fast.

It's tough to up sales every quarter, even for Apple.
I don't think Apple is getting old at all. IPhone 4S sells were off the charts, ITunes is doing well and Mac sells are on fire. I think any product Apple creates will bring in die hard Apple consumers but since Steve Jobs is gone and Tim Cook has taken over it is up in the air that innovation will continue. The things I am wondering is if Apple is managing it's cost from suppliers, managing revenue after gross profit, overhead and overall production of it's products even from China?

It doesn't matter if a company has record sales if they are managing the cash flow. This is a perfect example of Bank of America fudging account numbers in their last revenue reporting. Yes, they beat numbers but they made their profits look better than what they actually were set to be in accounting. Maybe Bank will come out on top after they have learned from the mistakes they have made in the past but it will take a long time like the airline industry. Apple hasn't misses since 2004.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
What happened? This is the first miss. Did analyst estimate too high? I am in shock.
Analysts have always added a premium to the guidance numbers to the tune of 20% since Apple Lowballs their guidance. Looks like after this earnings, they are scaling down a bit.

Apple analysts pull back - The Tell - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing