Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,952 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Back in 2005, I started college saving 529 by 2010, my principle is $25K.
After 2010, I stop adding money to it. Long time, I didn't check this account, I just checked today and found I have only gained 3K for past 7 years.

My kids are only on the first grade and second one is at pre-k, I still have long way to go. Just wondering is college saving is a waste. Maybe I should open regular stock market account and buy high paying dividend stock? With college saving account I have , I can't controll any thing, I can only add money, they manage accounts by child age.

Let me know how you guys are doing it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Just wondering is college saving is a waste. Maybe I should open regular stock market account and buy high paying dividend stock? With college saving account I have , I can't controll any thing, I can only add money, they manage accounts by child age.
The main advantage of the 529 is that you can't just take money out of it whenever you like. It's in the children's name and locked until they are ready to use for college/trade school/etc. at age 18. This is an advantage for those who might be tempted to tap into it during rough economic times.

Although you can get higher earnings with a stock market account/mutual fund, you have to have enough discipline not to touch it. Easy for some, not so easy for others.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,428 times
What if the kid turn out not attending college?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
The Other (and any future kid(s)) could use it. You can give to someone else (family member kid), You can pull it out yourself, Pay the Income tax + 10% on the money/

Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Check out the 529 portfolio performances. You may need to change the portfolio asset allocation. I try to review my kids 529 portfolio every year. Last quarter, I needed to change one of the portfolio from the International to the Treasury. My brokerage companies International portfolio is not doing good and given all the mess happening around the world, I decided not to stick it out.

I have two kids. I do have 2 529 plans. But I think the smarter way to go about saving for both is to max out 1 account, then add to the other account. That means one account will have more than the other but if one kid doesn't go to college, you can use the maxed account for one and won't have as much of a withdrawal for non educational for the 2nd account.

There are a few articles out there for picking a 529k.

The Best and Worst 529 College-Savings Plans

Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM

447 posts, read 743,686 times
Default I got this

I know how you feel. And here it what I did: I rolled my 529 savings into a 529 prepaid plan. I too had about $25,000 and used that to pay for 3 years of tuition. I don't trust the market to outperform the ridiculous increases in tuition. In my state (VA) the increases at UVA/VA tech for the last 2 years have been 9%!!!!!!

My point is that the money HAS to be there for the kids when they turn 18. The prepaid is the only vehicle that can guarantee that, ..the market cannot!!!!

P.S. you still get the tax deduction too

Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Q: What happens to pre-pay if the child does not go to college? Can you get your money back? or does not go to VA state school?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Joseph - if your child ends up deciding not to go to college there are a few penalties involved. The earnings will be taxed (which is one of the main benefits of a 529 plan when used for college expenses) and there will be a 10% penalty on the earnings. I found some more useful info on this blog:
Is a 529 Plan worth it if my child doesn't go to college? | GradSave
Concerned about penalties with 529 College Plans? | GradSave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing