Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM

30 posts, read 316,540 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Im a 22 year old community college student, and I am exploring options about investing. Any idea on where to start?? Should I get common stock or should I invest in tangables like gold and silver??

Also, how are the markets?? Are tehy any better than Augest 2008?

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Don't listen to "tips" on the internet or TV, rather read books and learn all you can.

Learn the basics first - How each investment basically works.

Here is a search of the "Dummies" books on investments. Those should cover the basics of various types of investments, and teach you terms to search for to learn more...
Product Search - For Dummies

Then once you read one of those and want to learn more, go to Amazon.com and search Books for a specific topic like "unit investment trusts", then you will find advanced books.

Avoid "How to Get Rich Quick" books sold in local book stores. They will have plenty of those types of books, but nothing on other investments like bonds.

Also you may be able to find a title, then search your local libraries to see if they have a copy (before buying). As you probably know being a student, books get expensive!

"Buy when fear is rampant and sell when greed reaches all levels of society in the current market." - Warren Buffett

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 PM

180 posts, read 211,322 times
You're never going to feel 100% confident investing, so don't wait for that moment. I don't care if a person has been investing 30 years, they don't know everything about the markets. It's a learning process and as you learn from other people and your own mistakes, you'll begin to develop and perfect your own strategies. Some basic tips for beginners...don't be impatient, avoid speculative plays, throw emotion out of your decisions, and create a entry and exit plan in the event of an emergency. Watching Jim Cramer (Mad Money) is actually a decent way to learn because he makes it easy to understand and entertaining. However, he has made numerous lethal mistakes, so don't buy a stock simply because he recommends it. I would stick to solid companies since you are just starting out. Yahoo Finance shows the average 12 month target price for stocks according to analysts. Once again, don't buy just because the average analyst believes the stock will increase 30% within 12 months. Once you choose your stock(s), monitor them every day for major news and act accordingly. We are currently in a bull market (up market).

Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,041 times
start with this book, im currently reading it myself and it has been interesting to say the least. Written by Warren Buffet's mentor.

Amazon.com: The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. A Book of Practical Counsel (Revised Edition) (9780060555665): Benjamin Graham, Jason Zweig, Warren E. Buffett: Books

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean128 View Post
Hey everyone,

Im a 22 year old community college student, and I am exploring options about investing. Any idea on where to start?? Should I get common stock or should I invest in tangables like gold and silver??

Sean

First, I want to congratulate you for Investing at your young age instead of having to have every new toy that comes along! Way to go.

Silver because it's so affordable and of course I mean take physical possession of your coins, never trusting anyone to hold it for you, except I mean a parent you are very close with, etc. If you are loaded with money and I do not wish to know, just being rhetorical, yes, buy some gold coins.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
depends how much $$ you have and how much TIME you have. I started my kids at age 12 with self managed ROTHs and they have done well on their own.

I would start here: Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info (also a quick read; 'The Wealthy Barber'

Bogle on Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor
by John C. Bogle
other reading here Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker + 3 hrs / week of radio education.

Against the Gods, The Remarkable Story of Riskby Peter L. Bernstein

For individual stocks and strategy, look to IBD 50, and listen to podcasts at Garyk.com
Business TalkRadio.net - The Investor's Edge
(especially when his helper Brian does the program (Like March 21, 22, 23... last week) Good basic lecture / reality check.

At the MOMENT markets are very high. THAT is why you get very discplined and "dollar-cost-average" Thus you buy more when prices are lower, giving you a hedge being under median price)

You make your money when you buy (as with any investment) and you HAVE IDENTIFIED a sell point BEORE you buy (And you have stops / discipline to GET OUT).

I certainly don't recommend gold / metals... they are trading tools, but not investments.

Get a strategy and TRACK it and don't change (until proven better) DON"T use multiple strategies.

Proabably best off using No-Load Mutual Funds @ Vanguard or Fidelity, tho I prefer similar ETF's for active trading. BUT to make $$ you have to be disciplined and active.

Read the Economist and heed international news.

Buy a 4 plex... diversify your investments, NOW is a great time to buy bargain real estate. in 15 yrs it's paid for, and you sit in Tahiti and collect rent.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsh0t View Post
start with this book, im currently reading it myself and it has been interesting to say the least. Written by Warren Buffet's mentor.

Amazon.com: The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. A Book of Practical Counsel (Revised Edition) (9780060555665): Benjamin Graham, Jason Zweig, Warren E. Buffett: Books
Having read that book, I can second this recommendation. It's a good introduction to the basics of stocks and bonds, earnings and P/E analysis, portfolio policy, stock selection, and of course "Mr. Market." It's long, but an easy read.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks everyone. Im mainly doing this for the experience, and won't bet the whole ranch.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
First, I want to congratulate you for Investing at your young age instead of having to have every new toy that comes along! Way to go.

Silver because it's so affordable and of course I mean take physical possession of your coins, never trusting anyone to hold it for you, except I mean a parent you are very close with, etc. If you are loaded with money and I do not wish to know, just being rhetorical, yes, buy some gold coins.

Thanks. I still like to have gadgets, but I have think long term.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean128 View Post

Sean
Because of comments like this you need to keep thinking and not invest. Like everyone else said you need to do research before you start betting money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing