Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Yeah, who ever heard of a successful services company? /sarcasm
If I were going to invest money in a tech company it would ba a company like apple that actually CREATES something. Products that people actually wants. You know iPhones,iPads, Mac computers, not a company that doesn't create anything, that's just shuffling money around like a wall street bank, with the illusion of making money. We went through this in the 90's with the dot.com boom/bust. Look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
b-b-b-b-b-b-ut Facebook is different and not a dot bomb. They have smarter people working there and a genius at the helm.

Can someone honestly tell me what facebook does that's particularly novel? Since it's a services company and doesn't produce widgets, what NOVEL services does it provide?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The original owners made out very well on this deal and the brokers did even better. Anyone surprised? Now the sellers can buy the company back at a considerable discount. I'll bet they will.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Facebook is fairly valuated at $10/share in my estimation.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
The difference with Facebook and Google is that the ads are relevant with Google.

There are any number of searches that are related to a product or a service someone wants to buy.

With Facebook, what product (and corresponding ad) relates to my grandma wanting to see pictures of my new dog?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
After just three days of historic initial public offering, investors are losing their shirts as stock price plunges.

Facebook IPO: Two Top Financial Regulators To Review Issues Surrounding Initial Public Offering

After Friday's nearly flat close and Monday's 11 percent
plunge, Facebook shares closed 8.9 percent lower at $31 on
volume of 101 million shares. At that price the company has shed
more than $19 billion in market capitalization from its
$38-per-share offering price last week.

I call shananigans. Something smells fishy, here, and it has Mr. Zuckerberg written all over it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Zuck and the rest of that crew pulled a fast one on Wall Street and Investors in general. Facebook does have revenue in the 9-10 billion per year range from "advertising" but they are not going to be able to sustain that as ROI is not justifying the cost to advertise on Facebook (See GM).

The other problem is that they offer no consulting in the Proper way to advertise on Facebook. It's basically pay us and you are on your own. They are also spending money buying companies with large Social Media followings (Instagram, Lightbox etc.) to gain subscribers not new revenue streams. They are spending billions to acquire companies that generate little to no revenue. In game ads are a joke and most people ignore them anyways.

They banked on getting a huge number of subscribers in order to trick people into thinking that they could actually advertise to 600+ million people when in actuality the algorithm they use takes keywords from people's status updates and advertises to that. GM would have been better off creating their own landing page and separate website for tracking purposes and used Twitter to get the link out. Facebook is garbage and their stock will continue to plunge until they actual provide relevant services and software to people or companies.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Morgan Stanley cut revenue forecasts for Facebook in the days before the offering...

Seems to me, a clear case of insider trading. Tell me Martha am I wrong...
Most IPO's are a result of insdider trading. Those that own shars of the stock pre-IPO have far more information about the company than Post IPO because pre-IPO are ususally involved with management or investors in the company and they need the information to establish an IPO price.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Interesting.

Facebook seems like a underpants gnome business model, not to mention a lot of other webstartups.

1. Collect Underpants/Collect millions of users and their data
2. ?
3. Profit
^ Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence.

The problem: Facebook is caught between its users being opposed to the idea, versus a business model that requires the idea, even though the idea is technically in place in a variety of ways outside of Facebook.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Facebook is the devil, and the banks are its minions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing