Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

318 posts, read 566,894 times

Advertisements

I recently inherited quite a bit of money from a relative and now am in the process of trying to figure out how to invest it. I have never invested in stocks, bonds, ETF's and mutual funds before but after spending the weekend on-line in various investment websites I am shocked that anyone would lose money in the stock market.

There is just so much expert information on-line and so many experts with stock picks. I have to assume that if you spent enough time investigating the various stocks and got up to speed on investing you could pick the right stocks 60% of the time to make money.

With the Internet you can be an informed investor and make money. Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
If I told you that I am an expert analyst and said that Gold was going to skyrocket to 4000 in the next two years you would buy it right?
But what if the my neighbor who is also an expert analyst said that gold was going to plummet to 300 in the next two years. You wouldn't buy it now right?

The thing about the internet, is everyone is an "expert". Anyone can have a blog. Any one can be an online journalist. The internet is actually making it harder to pick the experts that actually know what they are talking about, and then on top of that, the experts have to be right.

So due to everyone being an expert, it's harder now. Although, if you know how to do your own due diligence and financial analysis and can read charts and etc. then yes, the internet will make things easier for you. But if you're just basing it off of other people recommendations, you'll lose money fast.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I recently inherited quite a bit of money from a relative and now am in the process of trying to figure out how to invest it. I have never invested in stocks, bonds, ETF's and mutual funds before but after spending the weekend on-line in various investment websites I am shocked that anyone would lose money in the stock market.

There is just so much expert information on-line and so many experts with stock picks. I have to assume that if you spent enough time investigating the various stocks and got up to speed on investing you could pick the right stocks 60% of the time to make money.

Sure , what could be easier....

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
On average and in the long-term, well-informed investors picking stocks still fail to beat S&P 500 index funds.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Yes, absolutley.

Quote:
There is just so much expert information on-line and so many experts with stock picks.
And if you want to be a successful investor, you will need to learn to ignore 99% of the expert picks and expert information, and to do YOUR OWN research to find the information that you need to make truly informed investing decisions. Start with reading a few books on investing such as "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham, and then start reading company quarterly and annual reports, which are available on any public companys website.

Proceed slowly and cautiously, and best of luck to you.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

318 posts, read 566,894 times
I can't believe the average person can pick out individual stocks better than the pros who work at the various mutual fund companies. Why bother to try. They have more knowledge and researches than an individual investor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, absolutely.

And if you want to be a successful investor, you will need to learn to ignore 99% of the expert picks and expert information, and to do YOUR OWN research to find the information that you need to make truly informed investing decisions. Start with reading a few books on investing such as "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham, and then start reading company quarterly and annual reports, which are available on any public companys website.

Proceed slowly and cautiously, and best of luck to you.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Why bother to try. They have more knowledge and researches than an individual investor.
It all depends on what your mindset is Mr Spock. Let me just say that I try because I don't like average returns. My 401K, which is invested 100% in Fidelity in managed funds, is sitting at about an 8% gain YTD. My self managed brokerage account is returning much more than that, YTD and out over the last several years. It's not even close. And I'm a long term investor, so I'm not looking to avoid a paper loss on the next market correction either, that will simply be an opportunity to add to my positions.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr spock View Post
i recently inherited quite a bit of money from a relative and................ I have never invested................i am shocked that anyone would lose money in the stock market.
rofl....

Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
everyone has access to the same info so finding out this info is basically keeping you in the game not giving you an edge
if you had the internet in 1960 and nobody else did then it would be a huge help

Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it is like saying because you have access to internet information you can easily predict future sports team outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing