Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM

30 posts, read 20,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You really don't get it with Tesla cars. The "S" costs as much as a BMW 7 series, but has equal performance, luxury, but is more unique and doesn't use gasoline. Its range is almost triple that of the Nissan Leaf.

For moderately successful people, the Tesla S is a completely viable alternative to the German or Japanese luxury cars they already buy for the same amount of money. The physics don't matter. For status conscious people who want something different, yet highly usable, the Tesla is a very good and interesting choice. Its 250+ mile range is more than useful for most people.

That doesn't mean TSLA is a sound stock buy right now. I think there is a lot of hype based trading going on now. But Tesla has shown they can build a very useful and exciting car that so far has not had the problems Fisker did. Definitely worth watching. Lots of related issues to watch - such as the direct sale vs. franchised dealer fight.
You yourself just said it. Tesla is limited to this one car right now. Its price is very high and for most people who buy a BMW they are not gong to run out and trade for some electric car that they have a hard time finding or getting if there is one a charging station. So out of every 10 BMW or Lexus buyers how many will run out and trade for a Tesla? Not enough to make the company viable. I never said the Leaf was a direct competitor to the Tesla but it does take out the middle income crowd from the pool of potential buyers for any entry level Tesla.

I would bet most people who buy teslas are those who have the money and then are the type who shop at some organic food store while on their way to Yoga class and or a stop global warming now rally. Not saying anything for or against this. But what my point is , is that 1 out of 10 or maybe out of 50 BMW buyers will even look at a Tesla. Its problems with charging and distance for many is not gong to cut it. In the BMW people are buying a known, not a company that no one would be surprised if it went out of business in 5 years. Not saying it will I am saying if it did, I doubt anyone would be shocked to the point of a stroke. Any of us can be wrong on our predictions but I just don't see Tesla scooping up customers from the BMW or Lexus market at any thing other than a very small percentage. The care is unproven in the long run, its very pricey, where are the network of mechanics that would know how to work on it in BFE if it breaks down? Battery life, charging stations to name a few.

So if you can find a super charging station its a 20 min wait to charge up, but as of now, you are extremely limited to where you can go and what route you can take. Can that change, sure, but so can wind power wipe out con ed. I just would not sell my con ed right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times
Well then, I guess I should have bought. At around $120.xx today.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Well then, I guess I should have bought. At around $120.xx today.
Never chase, not worth it.

buy something that is down.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Once the Model X goes on sale which is a mass-production vehicle from my understanding, I suggest you all hang on to your seats because sales will be a beast. I'm really considering purchasing Tesla this upcoming Monday, maybe like three shares but I don't know yet. There are plenty of other smaller companies out there that could possibly boom someday and reach Tesla status. I've been kicking myself nearly everyday for not much purchasing Tesla shares back in 2011, I could've invested about $2,000 into it back then. I'd love someone to introduce me to a company that could potentially become another winner.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Once the Model X goes on sale which is a mass-production vehicle from my understanding, I suggest you all hang on to your seats because sales will be a beast. I'm really considering purchasing Tesla this upcoming Monday, maybe like three shares but I don't know yet. There are plenty of other smaller companies out there that could possibly boom someday and reach Tesla status. I've been kicking myself nearly everyday for not much purchasing Tesla shares back in 2011, I could've invested about $2,000 into it back then. I'd love someone to introduce me to a company that could potentially become another winner.

Here is an idea.

We have a glut of NG. Prices are very low in relation to gold/oil and everyone is switching to NG vehicles. The price overseas is $14-16/MCF and we are in the $3.50/MCF range. Infastructure is being built to ship LNG overseas.

I expect to see the NG price variation overseas and here converge together. them down, USA price up. It should also bring the gold to NG and oil to NG ratio's back to historically norms and probably overshoot.

I suggest buying the infastructure of LNG, the tanking companies, and the utility companies that handle the piping of the NG.

These should be winners for a long period of time.

I own companies like D, GAS, LNG, TGP, CVX to name a few. I have been holding these for a while and I am not sure if right now is a good time to enter, I probably wouldn't unless they pulled back some.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Electric cars still make sense in a NG environment. Actually, it's arguably the best thing for electric cars. NG is a cheap, clean, reliable, and abundance source of electricity. A combined-cycle NG power plant can come in at around 80% efficiency compared to a simple internal combustion engine which is stuck around 20%. NG cars also have many of the same problems that electric cars do. Storage is a pain and there's limited infrastructure. The main obstacle for electric cars in an NG environment is then the same as what it is with gasoline powered cars... cost.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Electric cars still make sense in a NG environment. Actually, it's arguably the best thing for electric cars. NG is a cheap, clean, reliable, and abundance source of electricity. A combined-cycle NG power plant can come in at around 80% efficiency compared to a simple internal combustion engine which is stuck around 20%. NG cars also have many of the same problems that electric cars do. Storage is a pain and there's limited infrastructure. The main obstacle for electric cars in an NG environment is then the same as what it is with gasoline powered cars... cost.

What about the availability of materials that go into the car for the future? Aren't rare earth metals, well, RARE.

I heard many people talk about how electric cars, the batteries, will not do well because of material shortages of some of the rare earth metals and Lithium.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Uh oh, goldman's got their hand in the cookie jar. Buyer beware:

Tesla Tumbles On Goldman Skepticism - Forbes

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM

I wouldn't touch this stock at all, unless it was from the short side.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
The real question is:

Is it too late for you to get out?

Besides Tesla cars being pie in the sky, this latest brain dump from Elon Musk should leave no doubt about what a fiasco this is going to turn into.

When troubles are on the horizon, throw up some pure nonsense to give the dummies something else to think about other than perhaps getting out while they can.

Musk says he won't apply for patents for the vaporware transit system. No kidding, who really thinks he'd get any since everything he's said has already been put into the public domain.

If you're in Tesla, best of luck to you, make sure you have a backup generator handy, you're going to need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing