Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjLhjxQTws

If he keeps talking this much sense, I may switch sides in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,631 times
Thanks for the link. Excellent point that Rand Paul is making. Levin and McCain and others only support GE, Google and Microcsoft and Pfizer. They get big bonus each year from them. Apple needs to give bonus to these guys to move forward.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
rand is jumping ahead of rubio thanks to rubio's involvement in the immigration legislation.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM

170 posts, read 473,710 times
If anyone thinks Rand Paul is good, I have another candidate for you. Donald Trump.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
If anyone thinks Rand Paul is good, I have another candidate for you. Donald Trump.
Donald Trump is a celebrity/actor, not a Libertarian, businessman or politician.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
im not sure how you mean this, if its a joke or serious. donald trump was a joke when it came to politics, i really dont want to hear from him on politics again.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Paul is exactly right. Congress makes the rules, so they shouldn't be mad at Apple for following them. And (publically traded) corporations are for the most part sociopathic organizations whose only real goal is the make as much money as possible in the short to medium term. Expecting them to voluntarily pay higher taxes out of the goodness of their hearts, and then parading them in front of Congress when they don't, is asinine.

Personally, I think we should eliminate corporate taxes all together. Businesses don't really actually pay any taxes, people do, in the form of higher prices for goods and services. It's just a hidden tax on consumers. And corporations with the best lawyers and lobbyists have an unfair competitive advantage over smaller business that can't afford those lawyers and lobbyists. So you end up with companies making $8 billion a year in profits paying 5% in taxes holding a huge competitive advantage over companies making $2 million a year paying 25% in taxes.

Get rid of corporate taxes and tax capital gains over $250k per year as ordinary income. I think that would solve the problem, and a whole lot of expensive corporate tax lawyers might actually have to get jobs doing something of actual value to the country.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 05-24-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjLhjxQTws

If he keeps talking this much sense, I may switch sides in 2016.
Why take sides?

Hasn't been a single election my votes haven't been mixed.

Sides are just for silly people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure how you mean this, if its a joke or serious. donald trump was a joke when it came to politics, i really dont want to hear from him on politics again.
He's a joke in more than just politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Paul is exactly right. Congress makes the rules, so they shouldn't be mad at Apple for following them. And (publically traded) corporations are for the most part sociopathic organizations whose only real goal is the make as much money as possible in the short to medium term. Expecting them to voluntarily pay higher taxes out of the goodness of their hearts, and then parading them in front of Congress when they don't, is asinine.
If you watched they actual congress people and Tim Cook... I really wonder where they find these idiots... They're all just a bunch of blubbering fools who don't even understand what they're talking about.

Quote:
Personally, I think we should eliminate corporate taxes all together. Businesses don't really actually pay any taxes, people do, in the form of higher prices for goods and services. It's just a hidden tax on consumers. And corporations with the best lawyers and lobbyists have an unfair competitive advantage over smaller business that can't afford those lawyers and lobbyists. So you end up with companies making $8 billion a year in profits paying 5% in taxes holding a huge competitive advantage over companies making $2 million a year paying 25% in taxes.
I disagree.

While the taxes are essentially paid by the people through the products, it's much fairer than say the income tax. Consumers pay taxes for consuming, not working. Paying taxes while utilizing a service (gasoline and driving, consuming, etc), you're actually using what the taxes pay for. Corporations make the money they do in this country because of what taxes pay for. It's a cost of business. Eliminate the ability to sell their property to places in Ireland or the Caymans and offshore their profits there, allow them to use deductions for actually using the money (instead of just sitting on it, like they're doing know). If they can't think of anything to do with it, then tax it. That's what they do with me every year.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 05-24-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think we should eliminate corporate taxes all together. Businesses don't really actually pay any taxes, people do, in the form of higher prices for goods and services. It's just a hidden tax on consumers.
i am very much in agreement with this. eliminate corporate taxes to spur growth and more jobs. let them government increase revenue through real economic growth, not by laying more taxes on people who already pay enough.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I disagree.

While the taxes are essentially paid by the people through the products, it's much fairer than say the income tax. Consumers pay taxes for consuming, not working. Paying taxes while utilizing a service (gasoline and driving, consuming, etc), you're actually using what the taxes pay for. Corporations make the money they do in this country because of what taxes pay for. It's a cost of business. Eliminate the ability to sell their property to places in Ireland or the Caymans and offshore their profits there, allow them to use deductions for actually using the money (instead of just sitting on it, like they're doing know). If they can't think of anything to do with it, then tax it. That's what they do with me every year.
But the corporations who are consuming those services are not really paying the tax for the most part, it is the consumers who are buying the products. The tax is basically a sneaky consumer tax, which I would argue is regressive in the same way that regular consumption taxes (sales tax, gasoline tax, etc.) are. The more poor you are, the higher a percentage of your income you spend on consumer goods, so you pay a higher percentage in these taxes than wealthy people.

Corporations are not people, despite what Romney says. So taxing a corporation is just for show. The growing wealth gap in this country is not between Wal-Mart and poor people. It's between the Walton heirs and poor people. When you tax Wal-Mart you're not taking any money out of the Waltons' pockets, you're taking money out of the pockets of the people who shop there through higher prices. If you want to tax the Waltons you have to do it with capital gains tax rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing