Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times

Advertisements

Most of my retirement money is in bond funds. They are tanking, down 4 - 6 % year to date. Do I just hold on and they bounce back like stocks? This is money I won't need or won't be using for the next ten years or so.

My option if I go to cash would be a Stable Value Fund returning around 2%.

My Bond funds are: TIAA-CREF High-Yield, DFA Inflation Protected Securities, PIMCO Total Return.

I was in stocks 1988 to 2007. Got out before the last crash and have been in cash and bonds since. Went heavy bonds the last two years, as the 3 - 4% returns were getting old, and yet my days of 5 - 12% returns are tanking. (Especially this month).

Is this just a blip? Do I go all cash and then get back in after a few months? Or just ignore this and five years from now will be glad I held on.

I put 15% of my pay into these funds and in addition fund Fidelity TIPS through a Roth IRA.

Thank you for any help and insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Asking for market timing advice from anonymous people on the Internet? Why not flip a coin? You prob won't do any better or worse.....

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Wish anyone knew the answer.

The problem is bond funds and markets have been tanking. Not good for consumer confidence and spending.

As things get worse and a slow down takes hold bonds can have another run up,especially if folks flee stocks again.

Bonds have been in a 30 year bull market . Most folks looked at bonds as riskless and very conservative.

Well the last 6 months have been terrible for bonds and folks will freak when they see their statements and see they lost money.

They can panic and bail and we could go lower.

No one knows where bonds or stocks are headed.

I do think the inflation proof ones are silly at this stage.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Wish anyone knew the answer.

Bonds have been in a 30 year bull market . Most folks looked at bonds as riskless and very conservative.

Well the last 6 months have been terrible for bonds and folks will freak when they see their statements and see they lost money.

They can panic and bail and we could go lower.
Thank you for your response. I was thinking that too, people have not received their quarterly statements yet, wait until that happens....

I have been keeping an eye on my funds during May and June more closely as interest rates have gone up. I at least know enough that if interest rates go up, then bond funds go down and yup they did.

The tech wreck was killer and took forever to recover, just hope this ride is not as bumpy.

Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Asking for market timing advice from anonymous people on the Internet? Why not flip a coin? You prob won't do any better or worse.....

Good luck!
My thoughts too! No harm no foul and there are some pretty smart people on this forum.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
I sold 80% of my bond fund holdings, and will wait for stabilization before going back in. Still in equity funds though.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM

651 posts, read 862,412 times
I am not a fan of bonds. Sure they could go higher for a few more years, but they can also go to "0" if something bad happens. literally 0. We are broke as broke, and our debt to me isn't seen as very safe.

I would literally hold cash over bonds. but that is just me.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I am not a fan of bonds. Sure they could go higher for a few more years, but they can also go to "0" if something bad happens. literally 0. We are broke as broke, and our debt to me isn't seen as very safe.

I would literally hold cash over bonds. but that is just me.
Thank you, I appreciate your response too. When I was really young, I used to think bond funds were really dumb and back in the good old days I was getting 20-30% in the stock market easy, per year! Boy do I miss those days! I thought why are people getting 5% (in bonds) when 20% is SO easy. Sigh...

I too am very concerned about our debt and don't see how any of this will end well. Right now I am reading the "gold" thread and learning a lot from the comments.

Thank you for your response and right now it seems like "Cash is King".

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM

169 posts, read 193,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Most of my retirement money is in bond funds. They are tanking, down 4 - 6 % year to date. Do I just hold on and they bounce back like stocks? This is money I won't need or won't be using for the next ten years or so.

My option if I go to cash would be a Stable Value Fund returning around 2%.

My Bond funds are: TIAA-CREF High-Yield, DFA Inflation Protected Securities, PIMCO Total Return.

I was in stocks 1988 to 2007. Got out before the last crash and have been in cash and bonds since. Went heavy bonds the last two years, as the 3 - 4% returns were getting old, and yet my days of 5 - 12% returns are tanking. (Especially this month).

Is this just a blip? Do I go all cash and then get back in after a few months? Or just ignore this and five years from now will be glad I held on.

I put 15% of my pay into these funds and in addition fund Fidelity TIPS through a Roth IRA.

Thank you for any help and insight.
Bonds long-term are a disaster at this point. What "long-term" is right now is the $64 trillion question. 3-5 years max is my guess.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
If you held bonds during the worst downturn in our lifetime, bonds did their job! They "zagged" when everyone who took on too much risk w/stocks bailed...

They are there for my diversification in my portfolio...plain and simple. I cannot hold 100% equities and I don't recommend that because of my puker factor. I can sleep at night. Not sure everyone can say that!

Trying to predict when to get in and out and how much they might fall and when is really silly, because no one on this website knows the answer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing