Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi28 View Post
Careful with that thinking. Guy is a billionaire so obviously he knows what he's doing, but he's investing in a lot of different things simultaneously, making money on some and losing on others. Unless you copy his entire portfolio, you'll still be risking your money just like anybody else by following him on a single investment.
Of course, I didn't follow him blindly, I did my own research as well, but his recommendation just confirms my thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Icahn bought his first shares on September 11th and the stock closed that day around $467. So, he was up about 12% when the stock was $530 at 4pm today.

Apple says they will "announce" any intention they have for cash and other investments in the early part of next year. So, nothing on Carl's buyout proposal until after the year is over.

About the only surprises that might be out there between now and end of year is a China Mobile deal, and maybe a buyback of $105 billion, which is half way between what Carl wants and what they have already committed to do.

I like Cramer's idea of some sort of acquisition which gives them growth. Twitter, Ebay Nuance has been bounced around. Ebay is too expensive it seems to be acquired.
Too late on Twitter it seems. Nuance is an Icahn stock.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Appl is still too popular, and am not expecting anything of it. Plenty of other opportunities out there, and yet all I still hear is appl, appl, appl. It's grossly undervalued, but not expecting it to go anywhere until the stocks popularity wains a bit, and until then will continue what it's been doing most of the year. On a side note... Ebay would be an awful acquisition. IMO, it's outdated and ready for a replacement. Like myspace when facebook came along.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I think Apple would be better off making a large acquisition rather than doing more stock buybacks. They really need a new product and an iTV seems the most logical to me. However, I think they might have missed the boat because Amazon and Netflix are sweeping up contracts. I still think Apple should have tried to acquire Netflix when they were under $100. That would have been the perfect starting point for an iTV.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM

252 posts, read 718,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
. I still think Apple should have tried to acquire Netflix when they were under $100. That would have been the perfect starting point for an iTV.
that would've been pretty interesting

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM

146 posts, read 323,737 times
Quote:
I think Apple would be better off making a large acquisition rather than doing more stock buybacks. They really need a new product and an iTV seems the most logical to me. However, I think they might have missed the boat because Amazon and Netflix are sweeping up contracts. I still think Apple should have tried to acquire Netflix when they were under $100. That would have been the perfect starting point for an iTV.
Yup! I always thoughts they should have made good on those rumors and bought NFLX. Made no sense they didn't spend some of that 50+ billion in cash (at that time). I bought NFLX just for that reason...it was a good decision regardless given how far NFLX has soared.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
They could just wait for it to crash still.

I feel Netflix is falling behind. They don't really have enough content/add content fast enough.

That and they're grossly over-valued.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
I've been hoping that Apple would buy Tivo for pocket change of 1.5-1.7 billion.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've been hoping that Apple would buy Tivo for pocket change of 1.5-1.7 billion.
Meh. Wouldn't it be better if they just integrated something like that with the iTV they have now combined with the cloud?

I didn't know Tivo was still around on a side note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing