Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol why don't you pm me, so i know what you need help with

I did check your inbox please when you get a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete99 View Post
I did check your inbox please when you get a chance.
I saw it, I've been busy with attending graduations and packing for a cruise followed by Hong Kong and Japan followed by Alaska... so I haven't had much time lately haha. I'll send you a reply before my trip though, either tonight or tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
I just met up with a financial planner at my bank today. I *might* inherit some money next month and I want to use that money to do less risky stuff.

20-25% savings
50% risky stuff
25% safe stuff

That's the ratio I am aiming for. Right now, I'm at 30% savings and 70% risky stuff.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
The only people who should hire an planner are people with tens of millions of dollars or more. The rest can just buy a well rounded fund.

That's like saying only really fat people need a personal trainer

Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's like saying only really fat people need a personal trainer
Exactly! What doesn't make sense about that? If you are a healthy weight, all you need to so is simple workouts... you don't need to spend a few hundred bucks per month on a personal trainer.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
The only people who should hire an planner are people with tens of millions of dollars or more. The rest can just buy a well rounded fund.
according to vanguard ,the kings of do it yourself investing this would be quite poor advice. a good planner vanguard calculates can add as much as 3% more return then small investors do on their own as a group.

why?

because a good planner can provide the ability to keep most investors from themselves.

most investors do the wrong thing and bail when they should buy or buy when they should wait. they think they can time things and they are quite poor at staying the course when left to their own devices.

a goods advisor can help them put a portfolio together that works together rather than the typical hodge podge of stuff they get

most important a good planner can help structure your spending better

a good planner can help you get tax efficiancy and structure you for lowest taxes later on.

in general vanguard concluded small investors are their own worst enemy just because they try to do this on their own..

Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Exactly! What doesn't make sense about that? If you are a healthy weight, all you need to so is simple workouts... you don't need to spend a few hundred bucks per month on a personal trainer.
as a gym rat for 15 years i can say this too is bad advice. i see such poor routines , people hurt themselves and poor form all the time just because they will not spring for a trainer.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Why does anyone, much less someone with 10's of mils need a financial planner?

Possibly an accountant for tax advice, but investments earn the same for small-timers and millionaires alike.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
according to vanguard ,the kings of do it yourself investing this would be quite poor advice. a good planner vanguard calculates can add as much as 3% more return then small investors do on their own as a group.

why?

because a good planner can provide the ability to keep most investors from themselves.

most investors do the wrong thing and bail when they should buy or buy when they should wait. they think they can time things and they are quite poor at staying the course when left to their own devices.

a goods advisor can help them put a portfolio together that works together rather than the typical hodge podge of stuff they get

most important a good planner can help structure your spending better

a good planner can help you get tax efficiancy and structure you for lowest taxes later on.

in general vanguard concluded small investors are their own worst enemy just because they try to do this on their own..
This all assumes that the planner is more competent an investor (which may or may not be so) than the client and that if you do find a competent one they'll serve your needs rather that run up fees for themselves.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 PM

goes without saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing