Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Mistakenly I have been. Have not moved any money into equities the last year or so...kind of holding serve. May be a mistake on my part, but I haven't lost anything. Only things I'm looking at are solid, out of favor, good dividend plays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Pick the index of your choice or just look at performance of the DJIA for the past 5 years. The increase is remarkably consistent at about 1500 points/year increase. The Fed continues to maintain low interest rates and continues to buy bonds. It is clear that there will be no sudden or large change in this policy. The Shiller PE index might be a bit high, but not exceptionally so and there seems to be room for both increased earnings and a continued upward SPE index.

None of us can predict the performance of the stock market, but I just do not see any cause for concern over the next year or so. As always the stock market can react to some current event. Often news events seem to set off corrections which have little to do with actual corporate profits. We just have to accept that the wise, big time investors are just as fickle as teenage girls. We need to ignore the fickleness and look at the bigger picture of events.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I retired at the end of last year & took my 401k & rolled it over to a IRA. It's all in a money market account because looking at the charts they been going up consistently for a few years & I don't want to start my retirement by losing 10%+ at the beginning so I'm waiting on a correction. But this is a weird market now.

So I haven't lost money the last 6 months but I've missed the uptick, and I find myself in the regrettable position of timing the market with this lump sum.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
The winds of change are blowing.

You have higher and higher prices on less and less volume. Of course, you also have the Fed pumping in billions of dollars every month, but that is decreasing month by month. Take those two things to the logical conclusion and it pays to be a little cautious up here.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 7,298 times
History shows that any strong market will eventually experience a major secular correction, like a -30%er. History also justifies a likelihood of an 8 - 12% correction over the short term of this current uncorrected 4 1/2 year bear cycle. I see it as likely but not a certainty.

Though the news blares loudly every time the Dow or the SP500 or NASDAQ hits a new high, these new highs aren't crashing dramatically upward; instead these markets are rather flat, but slowly increasing. Not completely flat, but more flat than sloped. I'll guess that any of a number of negative world news events could trigger a short term correction if bad things escalate strongly (Syria, Iraq, Ukraine, Moldova, Russian supply blockage of nat'l gas to Europe, North Korea, South China Sea, major terrorist attack).

It doesn't seem to me that it would be wise to make major changes to holdings right now because of this possibility. Minor stuff like DCA rather than lump sum into equities with new money, taking some profits here and there and holding the cash a few months - stuff like that. If somebody is DCAing in over the next 12 months, an 8-12% correction would be a good time for doing a partial lump sum before returning to the DCA pattern.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Well, it doesn't seem like they want to let the market drop just yet. Today all the indices have gone up ballistically from the open. Everytime the market pulls back a bit, huge buy orders have been coming in from institutions. They must know something we don't.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
You can always invest and place a trailing stop order. Perhaps adjust it every 2 weeks or something. So it just sells when it goes down too much. You still have at least some profits then.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The winds of change are blowing.

You have higher and higher prices on less and less volume. Of course, you also have the Fed pumping in billions of dollars every month, but that is decreasing month by month. Take those two things to the logical conclusion and it pays to be a little cautious up here.
Don't you have more mom and pop investors buying index funds that do less trading and thus could be lowering volume?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Is anybody expecting a market correction?

Yes. Market never goes straight up without a correction.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I retired at the end of last year & took my 401k & rolled it over to a IRA. It's all in a money market account because looking at the charts they been going up consistently for a few years & I don't want to start my retirement by losing 10%+ at the beginning so I'm waiting on a correction. But this is a weird market now.

So I haven't lost money the last 6 months but I've missed the uptick, and I find myself in the regrettable position of timing the market with this lump sum.
Clearly you were to use a kind phrase -- overly conservative. There can be 5%, 10%, or perhaps greater "corrections" at anytime. Mostly I just view them as being due to investors who seem to control the market but also seem to behave like fickle teenage girls. You need to ignore the noise and look at the big picture. The economy continues to strengthen. Energy prices are helping. Manufacturing is starting to return to the US. Unemployment is improving. There are NO other reasonably secure investments that have any considerable yields. Stock prices and PE ratios will continue to increase for at least for the short term...a year or more. Even the Fed is saying this. This is definitely not a WEIRD market. It has and continues to be very predictable. A few years ago the market was weird with worry about Greece. The Greek economy is like nothing but that made the situation even more weird. Now look at the difference. There are some very serious issues in the middle east and the Ukraine or Romania or whatever. No matter the stock market just keeps going up. With an economy that is still recovering and with lots and lots of conservative investors, we are still a long way from the TOP. Think about some stocks in your portfolio. And, if the market drops 5-10% or more, then great, buy more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing