Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Hmmm, The first thought that comes to mind is, if you're looking for Alpha then you probably would want the small caps, but if you're interested in stability then low beta stocks may be the way to go. Prior to two years ago I was focused on the Alphas but before I retired I rotated out of the higher growth stocks into a more conservative low Beta portfolio. This was my investment plan and fortunately the timing was good. Now the portfolio is kicking out a nice dividend income every month along with stable growth.

As previously mentioned, I think the first half of 2015 is going to be very volatile with many buying opportunities but it will also be a stock picker's market so a person really needs to get to know their sectors and do their homework. I think if I were to be stock picking for next year, I would factor in a recession into the mix.Another concern a person may want to consider is deflation.
I think as usual I will let momentum guide my way instead of coming up with a brain fart of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
As goes oil, so goes the market. WTI and the major indexes are up this morning. There are still a few sale days left before the Fed report next week, and the end of year Santa Rally kicks in.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:16 AM

I wonder what Warren Buffet is thinking this morning? Two of his largest holdings are down this morning. (KO) 15.8% of his portfolio is down 5.64% and (IBM) 11.8% of the portfolio is down 2.66%.

So, if you were Warren Buffet would you buy, sell, or hold? Warren Buffet usually holds forever but in this case what do you think he'll do?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I took the dip as a buying opportunity for ETFs, and am up about 10% over last week. I had plenty of cash as I luckily sold off all my poorer performers early in September thinking there might be a 10% correction - which came to pass.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I took the dip as a buying opportunity for ETFs, and am up about 10% over last week. I had plenty of cash as I luckily sold off all my poorer performers early in September thinking there might be a 10% correction - which came to pass.
Congrats for your forethought.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
I wonder what Warren Buffet is thinking this morning? Two of his largest holdings are down this morning. (KO) 15.8% of his portfolio is down 5.64% and (IBM) 11.8% of the portfolio is down 2.66%.

So, if you were Warren Buffet would you buy, sell, or hold? Warren Buffet usually holds forever but in this case what do you think he'll do?
Easy.

He'd hold.

Long term though, maybe keeping an eye on KO. It's got some catching up to do with competitors. The sugary obesity in the can isn't the sure thing it used to be.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Quote:

That's how it is in investing- most of the time you win and sometimes you lose. In my mind I attribute 80% of short-term moves to randomness and 20% to fundamentals. That's why sitting tight and not overreacting is so important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing