Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do in the next crash?
Buy..buy..and buy more... 15 57.69%
Sell..and run for the sidelines 2 7.69%
Buy and sell aka rebalance 5 19.23%
I'll sit tight since believe my investments will pay to hold 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 AM

472 posts, read 515,296 times

Advertisements

During the '08 crash, my portfolio was small and I was also a novice/disaffected investor. Now, with a significant portfolio to protect I'm looking at my portfolio to see what my playbook would be if '08 repeats.

Would you follow Buffet's mantra of 'be greedy when others are fearful' or would you go for the sidelines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 AM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
During the '08 crash, my portfolio was small and I was also a novice/disaffected investor. Now, with a significant portfolio to protect I'm looking at my portfolio to see what my playbook would be if '08 repeats.

Would you follow Buffet's mantra of 'be greedy when others are fearful' or would you go for the sidelines?
Prepare or react?
Your plans sound like a reaction to me.

As for me,
Preparation - None. If Buffett couldn't foresee the 2008 crash, I have no delusions I can spot the next black swan before it alights, makes a nest and lays several eggs.
Reaction - Curse the fates and soldier on. Obviously I would not have sold everything (or even a majority of holdings) off since I wouldn't know it was a crash except in hindsight. So what can I do AFTER my portfolio has been cut in half? Maybe try to raise some cash and buy buy buy.
The alternative is to always keep one's portfolio 20% (+-10%) in cash and accept the drag as a fact of life.
One thing for sure, after the crash, no way I am buying treasuries with negative yield. Morons.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM

574 posts, read 697,233 times
Rebalance, and continue putting as much money as possible into investments. I'm 100% in index funds. The market goes up and down, but long-term it's up. If it doesn't go up, we got problems no strategy will save.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:06 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
For '08 I was prepared and had a very substantial portion of my portfolio in cash. I am not preparing at all for any major stock market crash. For at least the next few years I view that possibility as extremely small. We have plenty of fickle, or if you prefer cautious investors who sell with every minor negative news item. Even so the corrections we see are small and the market continues to grow at a fairly consistent rate of about 10% per year. The economy continues to rebound and many businesses are making strong profits. The Fed will keep interest rates low for a long time which means bond yields will remain very low.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,104,234 times
I'm already preparing for a pullback, however I don't want to do it too soon as long as Govs are pumping money market will continue to rise so don't wanna pullout too soon and lose possible gains. That said, I plan on buying some silver and pulling some money out of the market to prepare to load up when the market is down. Maybe short on the day down as well

Old 11-03-2014, 12:47 PM

359 posts, read 780,236 times
Bad Part:
I lost a li'l over 50% in 08 fiasco.

The good part:
I managed to retain my job and increase my savings and increased my investment as the market went down. I am not saying I managed to move money at absolute rock bottom, but I was pumping more money than even when the marked was near its bottom and even as it started to go up.

I ended up waaaaaaay higher than where I was in 08.

That being said, I am not sure how I would react this time. I do have about 30% in a cash account ready for events / crashes / corrections like 2 weeks ago.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I do own a structured investment that has a 6 year shelf life. At the end of 6 years I get 105% on the s&p500 upside if there is any, 1 for 1 on the downside up to 35% meaning if the s&p is down 10% I'm up 10%, if the s&p is down more than 35% I just get the market return. My risk is credit risk from my brokerage firm

Outside of that I continuously write covered calls on the spy

Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM

929 posts, read 2,093,220 times
You can't predict the next crash, so you can't go to the sidelines. The investments should be long term, so when a crash or correction happens, it means stock prices are now on sale. You buy and buy some more. Selling after a crash is just plain crazy. Time is the one thing in your favor. If you don't have the time, don't get into the market in the first place. Patience and dollar cost averaging is the best long term way to invest, but you always want to take advantage of the sale prices.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:03 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For '08 I was prepared and had a very substantial portion of my portfolio in cash. I am not preparing at all for any major stock market crash. For at least the next few years I view that possibility as extremely small. We have plenty of fickle, or if you prefer cautious investors who sell with every minor negative news item. Even so the corrections we see are small and the market continues to grow at a fairly consistent rate of about 10% per year. The economy continues to rebound and many businesses are making strong profits. The Fed will keep interest rates low for a long time which means bond yields will remain very low.
Famous last words.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Rebalance.

I hold a balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds, and gold which has had consistently low volatility.. Even under 10% annualized in 2008. A repeat of 2008 would merely mean more frequent rebalanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing