Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do in the next crash?
Buy..buy..and buy more... 15 57.69%
Sell..and run for the sidelines 2 7.69%
Buy and sell aka rebalance 5 19.23%
I'll sit tight since believe my investments will pay to hold 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
I disagree with your assesment here as it seems to suggest that you stick to you ought to stick to your plan even when you see the approaching iceberg.

As I begin to understand the markets more, I believe having a game plan preparing for a crash/correction should be inherent part of one's investment plan. Having said that I do also strongly believe in staying the course with your core investments while rebalancing the rest of your portfolio. Like for instance, this year I've almost stopped investing in US equities - just letting them grow - while I grow my international/emerging/gold/reit investments. I somehow can't get over my aversion for bonds but about ~6% of my portfolio is in bonds (primarily through my 401k). I'm a vanguard-devotee and so might open up my portfolio in the near future to BND/BNDX/VTIP.

You see it as an iceberg and that shows more about your risk tolerance than anything else. It's a roller coaster that goes up higher overtime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 03:00 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
I disagree with your assesment here as it seems to suggest that you stick to you ought to stick to your plan even when you see the approaching iceberg.

As I begin to understand the markets more, I believe having a game plan preparing for a crash/correction should be inherent part of one's investment plan. Having said that I do also strongly believe in staying the course with your core investments while rebalancing the rest of your portfolio. Like for instance, this year I've almost stopped investing in US equities - just letting them grow - while I grow my international/emerging/gold/reit investments. I somehow can't get over my aversion for bonds but about ~6% of my portfolio is in bonds (primarily through my 401k). I'm a vanguard-devotee and so might open up my portfolio in the near future to BND/BNDX/VTIP.
the problem is you do not know where the icebergs are . you think you do but in reality no one does.

the good news is it is if you ever saw the myth busters episode where they were trying to see if dodging traffic and weaving in and out really pays off, the answer is nooooooooooooo.

want proof? ibbotson and morningstar track small investor money as it moves in and out of funds. they give two fund ratings on every fund.

the bobbers and weavers for the most part average about 1/3 of the return the fund actually gets as they attept to move to what they think is safe or hot next.

the real winners are those with discipline who stick to the plan they have.

in fact take a simple mix of 25% gold-equities-cash -long term treasuries.

lets buy everything back in the 1980's at the moment gold peaked at i think 800 bucks or so.

just by rebalancing each year and sticking to the plan the gold portion up until it just slid back actually beat a 100% investment in the s&p 500 after all those decades despite buying it at the worst possible time. .

Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
First the iceberg analogy is really pretty bad. Icebergs were never a problem when visibility was good. For decades we have had radar and the iceberg issue went away.

The idea that we can never learn or do something is a guarantee of failure and not at all necessary. History does show that big unexpected crashes can occur. We need to be prepared for those possibilities, even if remote, but that does not mean we cannot see the major trends most of the time.

There are a few day traders who are successful. I have an in law who does fairly well. He spends hours a day watching the market and a few stocks of interest. He definitely comes out ahead but he is also definitely an exception. Most of the small investors who jump in and out of the market are likely to be wrong. It takes one party to sell and one to buy so 50% of the time one investor is making the wrong move. There are also lots of small investors who panic during corrections and sell at the bottom of the market. These observations have nothing to do with trying to understand the market and making longer term adjustments in allocations and portfolio assets. The average person is none too bright, but that does not mean that no one should become a scientist or physician or architect.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 AM

472 posts, read 515,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You see it as an iceberg and that shows more about your risk tolerance than anything else. It's a roller coaster that goes up higher overtime
So, you know my investment profile just based on one analogy .

Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is you do not know where the icebergs are . you think you do but in reality no one does.
I agree with you. I didn't say I'm going to exit the market on seeing one (because I keep reminding myself in moments of weakness that these are still early days in my investing life and I've decades to go before I truly 've use for this money) but my intention behind using this analogy is to learn the ability to increase my probability of spotting iceberg's so that I can just do those little course corrections that will still put me on course.

Quote:
want proof? ibbotson and morningstar track small investor money as it moves in and out of funds. they give two fund ratings on every fund.

the bobbers and weavers for the most part average about 1/3 of the return the fund actually gets as they attept to move to what they think is safe or hot next.
I think you see me as a nervous investor who can't wait to exit @ the first sign of trouble. I'm not that one. What I want is to hear perspectives/experiences from other on this forum on what they did to stay the course when they had a significant portfolio to protect during crashes like '08.

Quote:
in fact take a simple mix of 25% gold-equities-cash -long term treasuries.

lets buy everything back in the 1980's at the moment gold peaked at i think 800 bucks or so.

just by rebalancing each year and sticking to the plan the gold portion up until it just slid back actually beat a 100% investment in the s&p 500 after all those decades despite buying it at the worst possible time. .
Just goes to show that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:48 AM

me a nervous investor? i have never cut and run in my 26 years as an investor and had 7 figures invested in the 2008 downturn.

what i am is goal driven and retiring within 9 months.

i do not need nor want more volatility in retirement than i need to meet my income goals.

do not confuse nervousness with a a plan that gets carried out regardless of where markets are or what i think is next.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
me a nervous investor? i have never cut and run in my 26 years as an investor and had 7 figures invested in the 2008 downturn.
Was the 7 figure portfolio your nest egg or did you 've a core protected portfolio and the 7 figure portfolio is a secondary portfolio that you would like to grow by staying the course.

Quote:
what i am is goal driven and retiring within 9 months.
So, by doing what you've done (which I understand is staying the course) are you retiring ahead of when you wanted to retire or are you 9mos away from turning 65.

Quote:
do not confuse nervousness with a a plan that gets carried out regardless of where markets are or what i think is next.
Yes, the more I talk & listen to conversations around me about the market I believe I'm developing the ability to spot the 'nervous' investor hoping to make a buck before the heavens come crashing down to the 'be greedy when others are fearful' kinda investor.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
So, you know my investment profile just based on one analogy .

No where did I indicate such a thing. I said the analogy shows more about your risk tolerance than anything else if that's really how you feel

Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Was the 7 figure portfolio your nest egg or did you 've a core protected portfolio and the 7 figure portfolio is a secondary portfolio that you would like to grow by staying the course.

So, by doing what you've done (which I understand is staying the course) are you retiring ahead of when you wanted to retire or are you 9mos away from turning 65.

Yes, the more I talk & listen to conversations around me about the market I believe I'm developing the ability to spot the 'nervous' investor hoping to make a buck before the heavens come crashing down to the 'be greedy when others are fearful' kinda investor.
the retirement grave yard has been filled with failed attempts at retirement by folks waiting until the last minute to structure for their retirement.

selling equities at a loss to gather up a few years of living expenses at the last minute would be no different than a trader having a string of losses and losing the goose laying those golden eggs.

with no idea if you will be the lucky retiree who pulls the plug right before an extended down turn like those in the year 2000 good planning says get that structure you want in place when things are up .

as far as me, i am retiring just shy of 63 in july.

in 2008 i was about 60/40 down from 80-100% equities where i spent my entire investing life . but that reduction was part of a plan that had me retiring to another state at age 60 which was later changed.. but the structure remained and in retrospect was good timing with what was to follow and not on the radar yet...

i also held substantial amounts of commercial real estate here in nyc which was fairly ill-liquid for many reasons at the time. the portfolio would be my main means of support.

as human capital has less and less years to produce more and make up for the awe craps , what you accumulate over almost a lifetime should be protected more and more in my own opinion unless you are not really dependent on that money to support you like those with decent pensions.

losing some money while accumulating money is not so bad, but losing the same percentage when you are at a life time apex can be years of expense paying dough evaporated.

yes , spending down early on at a loss over the first 5 years of a retirement will be just like that trader with those losses if forced to sell in to an extended down market spanning a few years..

my goal is to preserve and protect my capital as best as i can taking only the risks i need to take to make the numbers work.

that does not mean others see it that way but that is me agreeing with bernstein.

my eventual retirement level will be 45-50% equities but 35% or so heading in to retirement.

but putting retirement aside if anyone feels they need to prepare for a crash than they are to aggressively invested or their time frames matching long term money to short term needs are screwed up. you should be able to turn off the noise and ride things out regardless.

the only decisions should be when to rebalance or when and what to add to the portfolio.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-07-2014 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing