Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM

149 posts, read 226,633 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't touch oil with a 10 foot pole right now. Inventory is staying high and rig count keeps going up, the second oil hits $60+ it's going to get drowned back down immediately as producers uncap all of the wells they are currently drilling and capping. The oil industry is in a cannibalistic cycle that only explosive economic growth somewhere, anywhere in the world, can get it out of at this point - and that's a whole separate issue in and of itself. There's a big hole to climb out of in the years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
It took only a $5 drop in oil to reduce the record long position. The working off of the excess bullishness, the end of weak seasonality, and the relatively high US dollar doesn't support a large drop in crude oil for the near future.

Hedge funds square up most of their former record bullish position in oil: Kemp | Reuters

Old 04-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Fed is looking to have a balance sheet reduction plan in place by the end of the year according to today's minutes.

FOMC Minutes: Balance Sheet To Shrink This Year; Some Saw Stock Prices As "Quite High" | Zero Hedge

Yellen's term is up then. I've heard Trump gets to replace four members on the committee.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Oil sector is not participating in the rally at all. The worst sectors are often the last to rally before the market tops. Not a recommendation.

Quote:
The rally in oil prices between March 27 and April 12 was driven by short-covering as much as the establishment of fresh long positions.

But most of those short positions had been closed out by April 11 and certainly by April 18 limiting further upward price momentum.

By April 18, hedge funds had reduced short positions in NYMEX WTI to just 63 million barrels, down from a peak of 117 million barrels three weeks earlier (tmsnrt.rs/2pXkezz).
Inverted chart shows short positions have been pared back to near the lows

COLUMN-Oil prices falter as hedge funds stop buying: Kemp | Reuters

Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
In a decade when we come up for air, oil won't matter much as newly installed wind and solar were the biggest additions to both China and the USA (and much of Europe).

Sure, we will need it for jet fuel and some other markets but there will be an oversupply virtually forever. Oil and plastics can now be made from plants......corn and even other stuff (waste).

The Age of Oil is over. Even the Age of Natural Gas is Over. It just takes a while to die...think of it like IBM and Personal Computers. They are dead, but still plodding along.

I made - and lost - a lot in Energy. No more energy for me. In the end, energy is going to be close to free.

As another poster indicated - my mistake was this - thinking "Well, for $2. how else can you push a 2 ton car 30 miles down the highway?". Crude, but makes sense. But when Tesla can push the car 5X that far the formula changes.

The future is electric and i'm not even going to invest in that (although I made some small sums on Tesla).

Old 04-30-2017, 01:09 AM

14 posts, read 10,418 times
The chart shows the potential for a measured move down to $20-$25 based on the weekly chart pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil?-cl-06-17-1-week-2017_18.png  

Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 AM

May is generally a weak month for oil. Crude oil often tops out sometime from early July to early August, mirroring the stock market's seasonality.

Equity Clock » Energy Sector Seasonal Chart

A lot of the offshore drillers (ATW, DO, ESV, NE, PDS, RDC, RIG, SDRL) are already plumbing new lows. Seadrill (SDRL) may be nearing bankruptcy. Even a contract land-driller, such as PTEN, has started to roll over.

Government shutdown seems to be averted. Some very misleading news refers to it as a debt limit bill, but it has nothing to do with extending the government's borrowing authority.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Large oil fund has been liquidating positions

One Of The World's Biggest Oil Hedge Funds Just Liquidated All Its Longs | Zero Hedge

Chart of US oil production recovery vs. crude oil has been making the rounds for a week. It was originally in a Bloomberg article. At present trend, production will hit new highs this year.

Bears Celebrate: US Crude Oil Production Hit 2015 High - Market Realist

Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
I made a lot of money investing in oil stocks in 2016, but sold all of my positions by late summer. I have since been trying to find reasons to get back in, since oil prices are so cheap. But the industry fundamentals are so horrible that I can't do it. My gut tells me that oil prices will rebound eventually, but 2017 is not the year. The supply-demand equilibrium that most analysts predict is coming never comes.

Another head wind for oil prices is interest rates. Every time the Fed raises rates it makes oil cheaper relatively speaking. We are poised for multiple rate hikes later this year and FED unwinding the balance sheet. This means a stronger dollar which means each dollar buys more oil.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Yes. There was a WSJ article yesterday on interest rates and fracking. 2 percentage points would wipe out all gains from efficiencies. The following report summarizes all the news.

Oil Prices Crash And Rebound After Technical Selloff | OilPrice.com

The price of oil often coincides with changes in hedge fund positions. Friday indicated that the selloff had washed out for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing