Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,130 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the world of leveraged ETFs and not sure what I should do. I recently bought UCO at a price of $9.33. Over a course of a week is now down to about $7.15. I know the overall understanding is not to hold leveraged ETFs long-term, but its only a matter of time before oil prices start to rise again (at least from my analysis).

Should I hold onto UCO for the longer term or take a loss and invest in something like Haliburton or BP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Every up and down maneuver (bringing the value of a non-leveraged ETF to its original value) will result in a net loss on the leveraged ETF, regardless of whether it is inverse or not. That's why leveraged ETFs are risky. You are better off cutting your losses now. The only way your leveraged ETF will recover its original value is if there is a sudden sustained spurt in oil prices, which I don't see happening.

Every volatility fluctuation eats away at a leveraged ETF.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
Another point to consider with leveraged ETN's/ETF's is contango/decay that is why these are short term trading vehicles. When purchasing these products you want to have stops in place. A personal story I recently bed wrong on the direction of NatGas and got killed in premarket where I lost a point beyond my stop. Just be diligent, this not a set and forget it.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
I personally would sell UCO. I owned it last month for just a couple days hoping for a short term pop that never came. I sold it as a push (basically made enough money to pay my trading costs). I bought it around $11 with a stop order around $10.25, but didn't wait for the stop to be executed. I got out the minute it didn't have the desired short term effect I was seeking.

This is more information about leveraged ETFs natural decay: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1864...leveraged-etfs

It would basically take a huge upward move for you to just break even on UCO. Your downward risk is much higher than the potential for upward rise. You should cut your losses and run.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM

360 posts, read 712,332 times
I bought early last week at $8.26 and I'm holding. I'm either going down with the ship or will be rewarded for patience.

Oil will go back up, just breathe and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I bought early last week at $8.26 and I'm holding. I'm either going down with the ship or will be rewarded for patience.

If it goes up and down with great frequency with a general trend upward you could still very well lose overtime

Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
People instead of reaching for home runs should look at a nonlevered etf

Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post

As Lowexpectations mentioned, leveraged ETFs don't work that way. They do not reward patience due to beta-slippage (or decay). Read about it. They are purely designed for short term trades only.

If you want to own the commodity long term, I would pick a nonleveraged ETF.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM

360 posts, read 712,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
As Lowexpectations mentioned, leveraged ETFs don't work that way. They do not reward patience due to beta-slippage (or decay). Read about it. They are purely designed for short term trades only.

If you want to own the commodity long term, I would pick a nonleveraged ETF.
This is a good article that helps explain what you are talking about:
Leveraged and Inverse ETFs: Not Right for Everyone

If I want to play the oil game, while it's low, what stocks do you recommend?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 29,464 times
Never buy a Leveraged ETF unless you're ready to and able to make it through losing your entire principal you invested in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing