Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,353 times

Advertisements

Do i need upper education to become rich? I want to do what warren buffett is doing, i want to invest in stocks and etc. Guys tell me what i should do? Like what books to read? I basically want a plan to follow, right now i'm pretty clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
I guess we all envy people like WB, if you really wish to be like him and trust what he does then one way I think is to invest in his investment if you can afford to.

Warren Buffett stock tops $200,000 a share

I am with you, it would be great to never have to worry about money, I wish there was a sure way but Warren is getting on in years, so I suspect his stock will not do as well in the future as it has done in the past but what do I know, I am no more knowledgeable than you. http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BRK-A

Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthk View Post
Do i need upper education to become rich? I want to do what warren buffett is doing, i want to invest in stocks and etc. Guys tell me what i should do? Like what books to read? I basically want a plan to follow, right now i'm pretty clueless.
First you need a steady, above average income. Do what you need to do to accomplish that, first.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
The percentage of people who can do what Warren Buffet does is so small it's not even worth considering. However, that doesn't mean you can't do well financially. In many ways, being super rich brings more problems than it's worth. Being moderately rich (i.e. rich enough to live a half decent middle class lifestyle without needing a job) is both a more realistic and a more worthy goal. Once you are able to live an ok lifestyle without needing to work, having more money doesn't really make you any happier.

You need a decent income for sure, but what's as important is that you focus on maintaining a high savings rate from that income and investing the difference. Mr. Money Mustache explains it all here:

The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

And here:

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Todd at Financial Mentor explains that too much money can actually limit one's freedom:

How To Find Your Sweet Spot For Building Wealth

He also does a great job talking about the right motivations for building wealth...IE...Motivations such as wanting to show off to other people or live a flashy lifestyle actually leave people feeling hollow. The best motivators for being wealthy come from within:

The Ten Commandments Of Wealth Building

To succeed in building wealth, you want to be driven by internal goals deeper than just the external trappings of wealth. You want a cause that will bring transformation to your life and drive you deep enough to overcome all the obstacles that stand between you and financial freedom.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Well, you'll need to get wealthy to do what Warren Buffet is doing, rich won't cut it. That's why I say it's silly for the average investor with $5,000 to learn how Buffet invests... it's totally different when you are dealing with a few thousand dollars versus a billions of dollars.

Anyways, the best chances on getting rich in 2015 in my opinion is to get a degree in computer science and start your own app. Look at Flappy Bird, Tinder, Waze, Clash of Clans etc. If you get some experience while in school, you can find a high paying job in the San Francisco area. Rent a room from a shared apartment and save as much as possible. Do things on the side as well, maybe start your own youtube channel about ______ and try to build an audience. There are many people earning $$$$$ from youtube.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2015, 02:24 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
Quote:
... become rich ... i'm pretty clueless.
You started new threads on 12/04 (investing from scratch), 12/07 (Ambitions ), 12/21 (list of books), and now this one.

Almost all the threads mention WB and ask people to tell you what you should do.

You should stop trolling in this forum. That's my suggestion.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
You don't need to read books to follow Buffet's advice to buy and hold an index fund like VOO.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Quote:
One needs an education so that they are not clueless !

Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
It's not about money but quality of life.

Also, you should always do things for the right reasons. Having money for money's sake is not the right reason.

I would like to offer this as a place to start.

https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...n/core-finance

Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 PM

35 posts, read 29,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
It's not about money but quality of life.

Also, you should always do things for the right reasons. Having money for money's sake is not the right reason.

I would like to offer this as a place to start.

https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...n/core-finance
You can improve your quality of life by living at home to cut down on expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing