Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:25 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

I was shoveling the driveway today and heard a radio show (radio infomercial?) called "the Mutual Fund Store Show." I have never used their services and never will use their services, I just needed something to listen to while I shoveled. However, they gave what I thought was awful advice today to a caller.

This "Mutual Fund Store" told a caller to roll his $10K from an IRA into a brand new job's 401K (if the employer will let him). The "Mutual Fund Store" said that this would build a "base" for the 401K and would be the best move. They were vague on the reasoning other than this bigger "base" would be a good start for future growth in his 401K.

Is this not horrible advice for the following reasons:

1) A Vanguard IRA should most likely have more options and smaller fees than his employers 401K.

2) An IRA is in his own name alone. While a 401K is also in his employer's name - my wife in her 20s had a previous employer steal $$$ out of employees 401Ks - she has never gotten all of the money back and he is still in prison last I heard. I would in fact, tell someone to do the opposite -- roll a 401K into an IRA if they get the chance to do so penalty free.

3) What advantage is there to building a $10K "base" for a 401K -- if that extra base just means you lost your $10K IRA? It seems like a mathematical trade off at best - until you figure out that you most likely lose with higher expense ratios in a 401K and have to possibly pay fees to sell your investments in the IRA.

Am I missing something here?

They seem to charge their customers by %, so are they just trying to get more fees to collect from the 401K? Or a more impressive large # to look at, instead of 2 smaller #s to impress the client???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM

291 posts, read 336,266 times
Without understanding context, it's not able to say whether this is good or bad advice.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM

I rolled my small IRA into my company's 401k so I can start a backdoor roth approach that has led to a 200% return on my roth in less than 12 months.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
I rolled my small IRA into my company's 401k so I can start a backdoor roth approach that has led to a 200% return on my roth in less than 12 months.
Interesting. However, no mention of Roth was ever made. Just moving an IRA into a 401K to build the "base" for the 401K.

Was that a traditional IRA that you then paid taxes on during the roll over to the Roth 401K?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
Without understanding context, it's not able to say whether this is good or bad advice.
Here is some better context - if I remember correctly...

Guy calls in and says he has a traditional IRA with about $10K in it and just started a job with a 401K that has a 3% match. The guy's question is should he invest up to 3% to get the doubling match in the 401K and then all surplus investments above the 3% be placed into his IRA.

Mutual Fund Store's advice: Roll the entire IRA into the 401K to build a "base" for growth going forward and then put 100% of every future contribution into the 401K (which would effectively kill off the IRA).

Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
That really odd for the MFSTore to say that.

I would think they would want you to take your IRA, and transfer it to "them" to manage so that could make fees from it.

Moving it from a IRA to a 401K (If the employer allow it), Is only a good idea, if the fees are high/bad fund choice, where it currently at. But you can move your IRA to any other brokerage/fund manager with lower fees.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Interesting. However, no mention of Roth was ever made. Just moving an IRA into a 401K to build the "base" for the 401K.

Was that a traditional IRA that you then paid taxes on during the roll over to the Roth 401K?
My income is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA. So I took my traditional IRA and transferred it my 401k. Tax free transfer. My 401k is part roth but that's irrelevant for this discussion.

So now I have zero in traditional IRA. I then contribute to my empty traditional IRA the max but it's a nondeductible contribution. I wait a day and convert my traditional IRA that has basis to a roth. Tax free transfer.

If I had kept the original IRA only a portion of my rothconversion would have been tax free. I needed it to be zero.

In that context, it was a smart move for me.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
OK, I just listened to the show.

My "Guess" is because its a small amount 10K, It probably not worth it to them to "Manage" it,

Did invite him to stay on the line after the show for some more in-depth conversation. We also don't know what information that have about him/his investment style, (My guess that sort of stuff is feed into them from the call screamer)

Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times
The Mutual Fund Store show consistently gives awful advice. Most of the funds they tout have front loads, high expense ratios or even both.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
If it's a show promoting conventional open-end mutual funds as reasonable choices even when one has better options, I don't think much of it anyway. I remember when small investors had to put up with their fundamentally flawed model as the price of diversification, but nowadays, blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing