Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

And you consistently beat the market, overcome the fees and taxes, and are happy with the returns, is there any reason to really consider going long?

I can sum up my investment experience quite simply. When I have gone long, it has only caused me stress and grief. I've probably broken even in the past 5 years when going long stocks, although I have had some spectacular picks in the small caps after I refined my strategy. My best picks have come from stock picking news letters. With that info, I do the homework and make a decision on whether it's a good pick or not. This strategy has also been quite rewarding, but I shy away from it.

In general though, I hate going long for two reasons. The stock market scares me long term. Going long also ties up money that could be used to day trade. And I love to day trade

So anyways, I have heard millions of reasons why not to day trade. If your good enough at it though, is there any reason to stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 PM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
never confuse your genius with a bull market.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
This is important

Old 10-03-2014, 02:46 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If your good enough at it though, is there any reason to stop?
If you're good at it, stick with what you are good at.

Some people can pick stocks and "go long" as you say. Some people can gauge the market and trade. That being said, it's often the case that people are good at trading one type of stock and suck at other types.

Stick with what you are good at.

You CAN trade bull or bear markets, but like mathjak107 said:
mathjak107: never confuse your genius with a bull market.

I've seen people think they are geniuses branch off into stuff they aren't familiar with then crash and burn.

It is also said that a bear market rally feels better than the real thing. ( I learned that expression from Richard Russell of DTL. )

Old 10-03-2014, 02:51 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
How on earth have you broken even going long over the last 5 years? Should have been easy to make money

Old 10-04-2014, 05:34 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
Trading and investing aren't mutually exclusive. Trade for income and invest to build wealth.

Good luck with it.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:45 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Quote:
And you consistently beat the market, overcome the fees and taxes, and are happy with the returns, is there any reason to really consider going long?

I can sum up my investment experience quite simply. When I have gone long, it has only caused me stress and grief. I've probably broken even in the past 5 years when going long stocks, although I have had some spectacular picks in the small caps after I refined my strategy. My best picks have come from stock picking news letters. With that info, I do the homework and make a decision on whether it's a good pick or not. This strategy has also been quite rewarding, but I shy away from it.

In general though, I hate going long for two reasons. The stock market scares me long term. Going long also ties up money that could be used to day trade. And I love to day trade

So anyways, I have heard millions of reasons why not to day trade. If your good enough at it though, is there any reason to stop?
If you're breaking even going long the past 5 years your picks must be pretty horrendous.

I can reach into a big and chances are I'd pull out a ticker that's up double digits since then.

Markets have been pretty yawnworthy for awhile. Everyone should be doing well.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:53 PM

574 posts, read 697,233 times
I see all of these supposed "day traders", and yet none of them make consistent money over long periods of time. Thus, none of their successes can be counted as any more than flukes.

Put your money in in a low-cost index fund and you'll beat the vast majority of these traders after taxes/trading fees (important). I let my money work for me, and focus on making more of it through my day job to add to my investment accounts.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
See this again.

Quote:
I've probably broken even in the past 5 years when going long stocks
My first thought after reading this line was to wonder how you define "long"? The last 5 years have been pretty much nothing but straight up, how could you possibly be at break even with any kind of decent long positions?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:43 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:

You need to measure your performance against what you could get by simply buying an S&P 500 Index fund. Also, how long have you been "successful" day trading? If you don't have at least a 5 year track record, then you don't have enough to go on, and I really don't even think 5 years is enough data.

I don't completely blame you for not wanting to be long in stocks 100%. That's why they invented balanced funds. They hold up a lot better in down markets, with fewer years of negative performance. Most of us can't handle the ups & downs of a 100% stock portfolio. The better balanced funds have come close to or beaten the performance S&P 500 Stock index with fewer down years. Here's a list of my favorites that have beaten the S&P over the last 19-20 years:

Vanguard Wellington
Dodge & Cox Balanced
Oakmark Equity & Income
Mairs & Power Balanced

Of course, a lot of people don't like balanced funds because they're booooooring. I was like that. It's unfortunate. Because if I'd bought a balanced fund, or one similar to the ones above (I actually had Vanguard Wellington in my retirement plan from 1996-2006 as well as Income Fund of America, which was very close in performance). If I'd put money consistently in one of those funds for the past 18 years and just let it ride, and forgotten about buying individual stocks, switching from one mutual fund to another, etc. I'd have at least 50K, maybe 100K more than I do right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing