Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I bought some Oil ETN shares a few months back, and i'd like to buy some more now that it's at 8.50 but i'd rather buy ETF shares.
can anyone recommend any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
XLE is a good one, but a large part of it is made-up of XOM, CVX, COP. You may or may not consider that to be a good thing.

Here are some oil services ETFs:

OIH -- Market Vectors Oil Serv
IEZ --- iShares U.S. Oil Equip & Serv
XES -- SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equip & Serv
PXJ --- Dynamic Oil Serv

You can compare XLE to WTIC over the past two years and they both tended to follow the same trajectory, but over the period of 3-5 weeks they can diverge. Going to stockcharts and using the ':' operator, I found that $WTIC:XLE varied from 0.65 to 1.35.

If you are betting on the price of oil recovering by buying an ETN, maybe you should really go for it with some calls.

It seems impossible to me to invest in oil where you aren't just speculating --> other than the refiners. I think of these as manufacturers since they produce a manufactured product - distillates.

Countries that produce the raw material - petroleum have not invested in their refining capability, so it's a good bet that refiners will tend to make money over time. In addition, most of the oil producers stupidly subsidize their citizens' gasoline prices, so places like Venezuela and Iran have pump prices at insane levels like 25-cents or so a gallon. ( "or so" in that I don't have the exact number other than knowing it's insane ... ). Oil producers' consumption of what is basically their whole economy is way out of whack and thus "whacked."

When MRO spun-off MPC, doubling down on MPC and then doubling again was a smart thing for me to do. It's too bad that I'm so often wrong when I trade oil stocks ( so I don't ). I've only done two long-term buys and that was MRO and CVX in 2001 and that 'MPC buy' mentioned above. I wish I had scaled out of MRO and CVX last summer, but I've mostly ridden them down.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
XLE is a good one, but a large part of it is made-up of XOM, CVX, COP. You may or may not consider that to be a good thing.

Here are some oil services ETFs:

OIH -- Market Vectors Oil Serv
IEZ --- iShares U.S. Oil Equip & Serv
XES -- SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equip & Serv
PXJ --- Dynamic Oil Serv

You can compare XLE to WTIC over the past two years and they both tended to follow the same trajectory, but over the period of 3-5 weeks they can diverge. Going to stockcharts and using the ':' operator, I found that $WTIC:XLE varied from 0.65 to 1.35.

If you are betting on the price of oil recovering by buying an ETN, maybe you should really go for it with some calls.

It seems impossible to me to invest in oil where you aren't just speculating --> other than the refiners. I think of these as manufacturers since they produce a manufactured product - distillates.

Countries that produce the raw material - petroleum have not invested in their refining capability, so it's a good bet that refiners will tend to make money over time. In addition, most of the oil producers stupidly subsidize their citizens' gasoline prices, so places like Venezuela and Iran have pump prices at insane levels like 25-cents or so a gallon. ( "or so" in that I don't have the exact number other than knowing it's insane ... ). Oil producers' consumption of what is basically their whole economy is way out of whack and thus "whacked."

When MRO spun-off MPC, doubling down on MPC and then doubling again was a smart thing for me to do. It's too bad that I'm so often wrong when I trade oil stocks ( so I don't ). I've only done two long-term buys and that was MRO and CVX in 2001 and that 'MPC buy' mentioned above. I wish I had scaled out of MRO and CVX last summer, but I've mostly ridden them down.
thanks for that great response.
not sure if i'll buy....but remembering what happened after the war started back in 2003, and seeing how crazy volatile the whole world has become, i'm thinking the price will shoot up as soon as there's a 'new' conflict....no?
anyway, i might buy a 100-300 or so shares of XES or something....just to buy some oil speculating that it'll most likely (IMO) go up....eventually....

Old 08-07-2015, 01:44 PM

581 posts, read 615,635 times
UCO is a leveraged ETF that tracks the price of oil I believe. It's obviously way down right now and could potentially fall more, but depending on your risk tolerance, has a large upside as a leveraged ETF...

Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
not sure if i'll buy....but remembering what happened after the war started back in 2003, and seeing how crazy volatile the whole world has become, i'm thinking the price will shoot up as soon as there's a 'new' conflict....no?
When I picked up CVX and MRO in 2001, it was before 09/11 and my rationale was the same as yours now.

I bought CVX/MRO, but one could have gotten RDS, XOM, COP, whatever ...

I paid about $30/$6.50 ( respectively ) and gotten about $38/$8 in dividends. Current prices are about $83/$18, so even ignoring dividends, they are both almost 3-baggers. Counting dividends, they have returned almost 10% compounded.

During the initial decline during the depression, CVX declined by about 1/3rd and MRO about 2/3rds. Both are about there now.

The thing is, if you are buying a long-term holding like an oil major, it doesn't matter much if it goes down another 20% in the next year and then rebounds in another year ( or so ), but some of the more speculative plays will get bought out and folded into something bigger and you'll have a permanent loss then. The majors know how to make money. ( They didn't cut their dividends when the depression started in 2007, BTW. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
anyway, i might buy a 100-300 or so shares of XES or something....just to buy some oil speculating that it'll most likely (IMO) go up....eventually....
As long as you are prepared to lose most of that money if it doesn't work out, it will keep you interested. Speculation has entertainment value.

There is a lot of bad stuff that can potentially happen that could take the price of oil up a lot and fast.

IMO, you should consider at least, 1/3 to 1/2 in "boring" places like a couple of oil majors. If your spec pays off, consider doing that 1/3 to 1/2 again with the profits. All it takes is large huevos.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
USO is a non leveraged fund for oil and UCO is 2x leveraged. UWTI is 3x leveraged but I would really stay away from that one, unless your holding for less than 2 weeks.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 AM

169 posts, read 152,729 times
Strictly oil? None other than ticker symbol OIL. S&P GSCI® Crude Oil Total Return Index.

It's been a blood bath lately.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM

181 posts, read 140,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
USO is a non leveraged fund for oil and UCO is 2x leveraged. UWTI is 3x leveraged but I would really stay away from that one, unless your holding for less than 2 weeks.
Thanks for mentioning UWTI, that looks like my type of gamble....planning to buy 20 shares to start, then buy same whenever it drops...I opened Robinhood a few weeks ago so no commissions. When it shoots up, I'll throw $1K at it immediately.

My DBO is not doing to well, besides I'm locked in, so let's see what a month from now shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing