Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM

169 posts, read 152,624 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered about the articles on Market Watch. They're often talking about how stocks are about to crash any day now or they'll be like one-sided advertisements saying great things about annuities. Well it looks like these "RetireMentors" who write articles might be nothing more than volunteers posting articles for no pay -- like people posting YouTube videos! I take any article written by one person who is a paid columnist with a grain of salt, but people voluntarily submitting free articles?
About RetireMentors
RetireMentors Terms of Service - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Market Watch, Motley Fool, Seeking Alpha are mostly amateur garbage.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 PM

290 posts, read 339,533 times
As an investor you've got to be very careful who you listen to. The problem is everyone can write intelligently and make a good case, but the average investor just isn't knowledgable enough to decipher the gems from the junk. Personally, I know about 5-6 people who are the very best and consistently provide insights that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. This is the type of writer I think investors should strive to find.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
The problem is everyone can write intelligently and make a good case, ...
.... everyone?

You bet'cha.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
I have often wondered about the articles on Market Watch. They're often talking about how stocks are about to crash any day now or they'll be like one-sided advertisements saying great things about annuities. Well it looks like these "RetireMentors" who write articles might be nothing more than volunteers posting articles for no pay -- like people posting YouTube videos! I take any article written by one person who is a paid columnist with a grain of salt, but people voluntarily submitting free articles?
About RetireMentors
RetireMentors Terms of Service - MarketWatch
RetireMentors is one section of the MarketWatch site that features industry professionals as authors. These authors represent their opinions and beliefs (as is advertised on MarketWatch).

This is in contrast to the rest of their site that represents content produced by real journalists. By looking at the top five articles on the homepage, 4 of them are written by MarketWatch journalists and 1 is written by a Wall Street Journal editor.

Comparing MarketWatch to Motley Fool or Seeking Alpha is just way off. I will have to admit that there are a few good writers on Motley Fool, but you have to get past the noise to learn who they are.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 AM

169 posts, read 152,624 times
Quote:
RetireMentors is one section of the MarketWatch site that features industry professionals as authors.
Yeah well these RetireMentors are posting doom and gloom stories all the time. None of it has come true. One day stocks will crash and somebody will say "see I told you so" but they've been sounding the alarm for years.

Then you have these incessant pro-annuity articles. And like JayGatsby says they indeed
write intelligently. But annuities are still annuities and insurance salesmen are still insurance salesmen.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
Yeah well these RetireMentors are posting doom and gloom stories all the time. None of it has come true. One day stocks will crash and somebody will say "see I told you so" but they've been sounding the alarm for years.

Then you have these incessant pro-annuity articles. And like JayGatsby says they indeed
write intelligently. But annuities are still annuities and insurance salesmen are still insurance salesmen.
An opinion is an opinion no matter how you try to make it look. The RetireMentors section is an opinion section of industry professionals. Take it for what it's worth to you. The rest of the site is written by journalists.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Journalists seem to be able to write or report opinions just as readily as amateurs.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An opinion is an opinion no matter how you try to make it look. The RetireMentors section is an opinion section of industry professionals. Take it for what it's worth to you. The rest of the site is written by journalists.
We're too quick to use industry professionals.

I know a lot of insurance salesmen that get to use the financial advisor title that really know absolutely nothing about investing or complex financial matters beyond what their formula tells them.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 AM

949 posts, read 788,833 times
Chuck Jaffe, who also writes for MarketWatch, interviews a guy once weekly on his MoneyLife webcast, that writes for the RetireMentors section. Typically the discussion involves data from a recent government agency or a private poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing