Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:12 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times

Advertisements

A 75% win percentage would normally be ridiculously good, but then, win percentages alone don't mean much without also knowing what the average profit vs. average loss is. E.g., if you're quickly taking 1% profits but not selling until you're down 5%, then that 75% win percentage isn't very impressive at all. In fact, you're probably losing money over the long run.

OTOH, a trader could have just a 40% win percentage and be doing very well if he's letting his winners run and cutting his losses relatively short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
A 75% win percentage would normally be ridiculously good, but then, win percentages alone don't mean much without also knowing what the average profit vs. average loss is. E.g., if you're quickly taking 1% profits but not selling until you're down 5%, then that 75% win percentage isn't very impressive at all. In fact, you're probably losing money over the long run.

OTOH, a trader could have just a 40% win percentage and be doing very well if he's letting his winners run and cutting his losses relatively short.

You are getting into risk management issues not getting calls right. Making a correct call 75% of the time would be outstanding

Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM

176 posts, read 192,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
Do it on a percentage basis. Down 10% and you buy more. Down 20% buy still more. Set limit orders.
Very good model. I think that would work very well. I like it

Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are getting into risk management issues not getting calls right. Making a correct call 75% of the time would be outstanding
My point is that "correct call %" means little without taking risk management into account. They're both equally important in determining success or failure. To look at one without the other is near meaningless.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
My point is that "correct call %" means little without taking risk management into account. They're both equally important in determining success or failure. To look at one without the other is near meaningless.
Making a correct call 75% is outstanding no matter what the risk management is. Financial results are a different animal but getting calls right 75% is highly abnormal

Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Making a correct call 75% is outstanding no matter what the risk management is. Financial results are a different animal but getting calls right 75% is highly abnormal
Without risk management it doesn't mean much, it's just a ticking clock. One bad trade can wipe out all the gains from 20 good trades, so without risk management, it's just a matter of time before the trader gets burned.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Without risk management it doesn't mean much, it's just a ticking clock. One bad trade can wipe out all the gains from 20 good trades, so without risk management, it's just a matter of time before the trader gets burned.

You can be a great picker with crappy risk management. Doesn't mean you aren't a great picker, getting calls right 75% is outstanding I'm pretty sure I was clear with my point originally

Old 08-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
In that case, my call is that SPY will increase .2% from where it is now. I will bail out of the trade only when SPY drops 50%. I'll repeat this several times. Let's see what my winning call percentage ends up being...

Old 08-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In that case, my call is that SPY will increase .2% from where it is now. I will bail out of the trade only when SPY drops 50%. I'll repeat this several times. Let's see what my winning call percentage ends up being...
I'm really not sure why you are struggling with what I said. If your call on the s&p is right 75% of the time you ability to make calls is outstanding

Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'm really not sure why you are struggling with what I said. If your call on the s&p is right 75% of the time you ability to make calls is outstanding
Great, and using my methodology above I expect my call percentage to be much BETTER than 75%, which apparently means my ability to make calls is nothing short of genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing