Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM

13 posts, read 12,101 times

Advertisements

You guys are awesome--thank you! Please don't think that just because I'm not responding it means I'm not here trying to take this all in. I'm just sitting back and listening for now. Not quite ready to swim (or discuss) with the big fish yet. Thanks again for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
Here's another good resource.
Investopedia - Educating the world about finance

Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Here are a few ideas...

Morningstar
Value Line (can get reports for the 30 DJIA free on their website)
Forbes and Fortune

It's fine to read the WSJ for a while. Get a 6-month or 12-month subscription. You will learn a lot at first, but it's really too much (at least for me) to try to keep up with, unless perhaps if one is retired and enjoys it.

It takes a long time to learn. If you only have enough money to buy one stock then I'd suggest starting out with a mutual fund. Unlike most of the folks here, I do think that studying and buying stocks is a worthwhile activity.

No matter which route you take (stocks or funds, or some of each) it's very important to have some understanding of what you own and why there is value in owning it at the current price. If you buy something simply because it "went up" in the past, you will have no idea what to do when the price drops. Stocks have value because of their assets, and the ability to turn those assets into profits. If you haven't read any of Peter Lynch's books yet, try "One Up on Wall Street". If you are only going to read one of his books that's the one I recommend.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Here are a few ideas...

Morningstar
Value Line (can get reports for the 30 DJIA free on their website)
Forbes and Fortune

It's fine to read the WSJ for a while. Get a 6-month or 12-month subscription. You will learn a lot at first, but it's really too much (at least for me) to try to keep up with, unless perhaps if one is retired and enjoys it.

It takes a long time to learn. If you only have enough money to buy one stock then I'd suggest starting out with a mutual fund. Unlike most of the folks here, I do think that studying and buying stocks is a worthwhile activity.

No matter which route you take (stocks or funds, or some of each) it's very important to have some understanding of what you own and why there is value in owning it at the current price. If you buy something simply because it "went up" in the past, you will have no idea what to do when the price drops. Stocks have value because of their assets, and the ability to turn those assets into profits. If you haven't read any of Peter Lynch's books yet, try "One Up on Wall Street". If you are only going to read one of his books that's the one I recommend.
Almost all libraries have a Value Line subscription as well. I just used ours last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing