Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,836,341 times

Advertisements

Check out this article by Eric Savitz, it's a little old but it's relevant:

6 Reasons Why I Don't Invest In The US Stock Market

6 reasons why he doesn't invest in stocks (or why he only holds 10% of his portfolio there). Tell me what you stock boys, bond freaks and real estate heads think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,085,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Check out this article by Eric Savitz, it's a little old but it's relevant:

6 Reasons Why I Don't Invest In The US Stock Market

6 reasons why he doesn't invest in stocks (or why he only holds 10% of his portfolio there). Tell me what you stock boys, bond freaks and real estate heads think
Sorry, but that link didn't go to the article. When I googled it, it was so rife with ads, the page wouldn't even load.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 PM

Try this link: Forbes Welcome

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 PM
JRR

8,205 posts, read 5,718,136 times
I guess that my reaction is "So What"? This guy wrote an article in March of 2012 stating that he has less than 10% of his portfolio in stocks and gives his reasons. People writing articles about stock investing (both pro and con) are about as common as fleas on a junkyard dog.

I know, to you this is a wonderful article because it goes along with your views. Which is great for you. But it doesn't mean squat to a lot of other people.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I guess that my reaction is "So What"? This guy wrote an article in March of 2012 stating that he has less than 10% of his portfolio in stocks and gives his reasons. People writing articles about stock investing (both pro and con) are about as common as fleas on a junkyard dog.

I know, to you this is a wonderful article because it goes along with your views. Which is great for you. But it doesn't mean squat to a lot of other people.
I just wanted to see what you thought about the points he made. I make a lot of good points but he lined out a lot of the points I've made but added additional commentary.

I would really love a QUALITY discussion on this forum about the next 30 years of stocks (until 2046 - 2047). I get tired of financial advisers (btw, what in the hell is a financial adviser) showing these 100-year-old charts of what stocks have done. I want a quality discussion on what's ABOUT to happen.

Anybody have any predictions? That's what I would like to know. My opinion is that the stock market will still be around, but I just do not see any type of massive growth. We should see major drops about to occur to get back to DOW under 15k, then it will go back up again, crash again, up again, crash again.

I just don't see how we ever see a DOW 20k. I don't see how anybody buying stocks TODAY (literally, today) is going to see any real growth on that money. But financial advisers say nothing about this and just keep pointing to those stupid 100-year-old charts. I want to take those damn charts and burn them.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM

24,418 posts, read 27,109,820 times
Seems like he made a bad decision

Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,570,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I just don't see how we ever see a DOW 20k. I don't see how anybody buying stocks TODAY (literally, today) is going to see any real growth on that money. But financial advisers say nothing about this and just keep pointing to those stupid 100-year-old charts. I want to take those damn charts and burn them.
I'm curious as to why you think we won't see any growth. Do you think the GDP will remain the same over the next 30 years? Has technology peaked? Are there no more productivity gains to be had? Is the population going to level out? Have we reached the end of innovation?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 PM
JRR

8,205 posts, read 5,718,136 times
If I wanted to take the time, I could find where his points have been discussed by other people. Like the retirees selling their stocks and bonds to live and no one to buy them. I've seen other "experts" give their reasons why they don't feel it is anything to worry about. Reading all that stuff could drive anyone nuts with all the differing points of view. And none of them know for sure what will happen. Sometimes the professionals do the same dumb stuff as anyone else.

Here is an example. After the 9/11 attack the market was closed for several days. All the talking heads on TV kept saying that people shouldn't panic and sell their stocks. So what happened when the market reopened? Everyone, including the professionals, ran for the exits at the same time. Airline stocks really cratered as if no one would ever fly again. It just seemed logical to me that airline travel was not going to disappear overnight due to this tragedy. It would slump but it would come back and probably reasonably quickly. I scraped together what ever I could along with borrowing and when the market opened, I started buying airline stocks from those who just wanted out. Southwest, Frontier, SkyWest and Atlantic Coast. That is what really jumpstarted my investments as I made a very nice profit.

That is why I just smile when I see articles by experts/professionals telling other people how they should invest. There is no one size fits everyone. People just have to figure it out on their own. And some never will.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,582,351 times
And his solution is what? Be an Internet sensation? the next Steve Jobs or bill gates?

Globalization, reason to keep market weight of international stocks. Over at Bogleheads, they show that if people in Japan had invested by global market weight, they wouldn't have been too hurt by the flat decades in their own country

If seniors want to sell off, great, people who have money will buy it up. We don't need one person for each boomer, one person with enough money will buy multiple boomers shares

Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 AM

107,168 posts, read 109,534,640 times
yep , he made a poor decision .. another useless article written by another useless writer

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-25-2016 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing