Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
... I am only making mention of how I invest my money. No more than 20% in long term positions in stocks, 50% I use for day trading/short term bets, because I like to gamble, and 30% in commodities and cash. I would not recommend this approach for many people at all, unless they feel like studying the market religiously and boring themselves to tears sifting through all the garbage and BS.
And what about people who absolutely detest gambling, who have plenty of spare money, and who have decades remaining in their careers?

My workplace hired a trickle of Millennials around 2002-2004. OK, these are older Millennials... now in their mid-late 30s. They are earning [slightly] over $100K. Their kids are in private school. Their wives are stay-at-home moms. And they max out their 401K and Roth IRA. These aren't lawyers, hotshot businessmen, real estate kingpins or professional athletes. These are engineers, most of whom earned their degrees from state schools, in part on scholarships. Oh, and this is in small-town Ohio.

In what should these persons invest, if they are busy with their careers and their churches and raising their families? They study religiously... religion, this being a conservative area. Should instead they be pouring over stock charts? Currency-fluctuation trends? Gold?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. But you gotta live somewhere, so RE can be a wise move if the time is right.

I'm using ETFs to take a short position in Chinese equities, and watching carefully at US equities. I am waiting for the right time to take a short position in US equities. This is not investing though, it is gambling. I don't see many good opportunities for legitimate investment at this time. Markets are overvalued, overcooked, and present a great deal of downside risk.

Hurling insults towards anyone that disagrees with your strategy does nothing to support your views and claims.

I am not a financial advisor, and have no ambition of becoming one. I am only making mention of how I invest my money. No more than 20% in long term positions in stocks, 50% I use for day trading/short term bets, because I like to gamble, and 30% in commodities and cash. I would not recommend this approach for many people at all, unless they feel like studying the market religiously and boring themselves to tears sifting through all the garbage and BS.

And I consider the stock market to be a bunch of gobbledygook. But the fact of the matter is, I must preserve my wealth in one fashion or another, or I lose. So, I am backed into a corner that I do not want to be in, but must "invest" in something. That's the reality that most of us face.

I hope you do realize that there are many rich people who hate the giant roulette wheel called the stock market, and hate what the Fed is doing.
most of us rather not invest in anything but cd's . but the reality is most of us can't afford to nor will we ever be wealthy enough to do that . . so regardless of what we think the markets and investing are necessary to our financial health .

the reality is they have never not performed okay over any typical long term accumulation period regardless of world events . the typical time frame spans many decades . it is all about the odds and the odds are still pretty good it will out perform every other investment once again .

i am not hurling insults , i am stating a fact and the fact is those who wait for that all clear signal never get it and many end up being a lot poorer by retirement then they should have been .

market gains come fast and furious usually and only a handful of days end up being responsible for the years gains . miss those days because you were fearful to act prior and the train left the station .

i have been investing for more then 30 years . i have rode every crash and downturn both down and up and i can't remember a single one of them and the effect on my balance at this point except for 2008 since it was recent .

Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
And what about people who absolutely detest gambling, who have plenty of spare money, and who have decades remaining in their careers?

My workplace hired a trickle of Millennials around 2002-2004. OK, these are older Millennials... now in their mid-late 30s. They are earning [slightly] over $100K. Their kids are in private school. Their wives are stay-at-home moms. And they max out their 401K and Roth IRA. These aren't lawyers, hotshot businessmen, real estate kingpins or professional athletes. These are engineers, most of whom earned their degrees from state schools, in part on scholarships. Oh, and this is in small-town Ohio.

In what should these persons invest, if they are busy with their careers and their churches and raising their families? They study religiously... religion, this being a conservative area. Should instead they be pouring over stock charts? Currency-fluctuation trends? Gold?
If you have a 100K income, you don't have to gamble to make money the way I do. So your strategy will be much different.

My income is lower, and so I must take bigger risks in order to make up for that. My trading strategies are very active and risky, but so long as they work, I have no incentive to change my ways.

Engineers don't have the time that I have to actively manage a trading account. They often work a great deal of overtime, and must focus on their work. That's why they are paid so much. So they can worry about performing their job to the best of their ability, instead of worrying about money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of us rather not invest in anything but cd's . but the reality is most of us can't afford to nor will we ever be wealthy enough to do that . . so regardless of what we think the markets and investing are necessary to our financial health .

the reality is they have never not performed okay over any typical long term accumulation period regardless of world events . the typical time frame spans many decades . it is all about the odds and the odds are still pretty good it will out perform every other investment once again .

i am not hurling insults , i am stating a fact and the fact is those who wait for that all clear signal never get it and many end up being a lot poorer by retirement then they should have been .

market gains come fast and furious usually and only a handful of days end up being responsible for the years gains . miss those days because you were fearful to act prior and the train left the station .

i have been investing for more then 30 years . i have rode every crash and downturn both down and up and i can't remember a single one of them and the effect on my balance at this point except for 2008 since it was recent .
Most people do not have the time to effectively research and create workable strategies. If they did have the time, they would probably rather spend it enjoying their lives, instead of trying to digest market updates, news, statistics, reports, and all the rest of the garbage. Most people are better off putting a little bit of money in the market on a quarterly basis, and not worrying about it. They would probably be happier in the long run as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 AM

are you kidding ? i am retired and to produce that 100k plus income in retirement which is what we need here in nyc i need at least 40-50% equity's or my chance of failure is very high in fact with rates this low i may have to go 50/50 to 60/40 possibly . i needed a larger balance to work with and because we need the higher income all my accumulation years were at 90-100% equity's spanning decades .

higher incomes usually mean higher cost lifestyles and nothing changes as far as what you need to do to maintain that income . it still is a volatile game accumulating assets .

for 30 years my entire portfolio management takes me 30 seconds a week . i have used the fidelity insight newsletter since 1987 . 100k is now well over 2 million in the growth model without another penny added so the portfolio's have done just fine . my 81 year old aunt finds it easy enough to use . you get an update every friday with an occassional fund swap . there are newsletters for vanguard as well . nothing could be easier to do .

if your financial well being and growth is that not important to you that you can't find time to grow your money then good luck to that person . odds are in the end that lack of interest may have them committing financial suicide at retirement or living a miserable retirement .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-04-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
are you kidding ? i am retired and to produce that 100k plus income in retirement which is what we need here in nyc i need at least 40-50% equity's or my chance of failure is very high . i needed a larger balance to work with and because we need the higher income all my accumulation years were at 90-100% equity's spanning decades .

higher incomes usually mean higher cost lifestyles and nothing changes as far as what you need to do to maintain that income . it still is a volatile game accumulating assets .
Traditionally, if you are retired, your job is not to create wealth, but preserve it. Bonds and CDs used to be a wise choice, but not any longer. The fact that seniors are forced into high risk equity markets should disgust and enrage people. What the Fed has done is absolutely stupid in that regard. But hey, we managed to save some of our worst corporations and prop up the market till another day!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM

in retirement you need to develop a safe , secure , consistant income that can be inflation adjusted and last a life time . possibly legacy money may be important too .

to draw anything greater then 2% inflation adjusted requires at least 40% equity's to maintain a high success rate of not running out of money to soon and that is really based on when rates were higher historically .

the updated trinity study shows us that it took 40% or greater in equity's to get through at least 90% of all the rolling 30 year time frames since 1926 . anything less failed to last to many times .

that 40% is based on making it through the worst case scenario's we already encountered .

Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
are you kidding ? i am retired and to produce that 100k plus income in retirement which is what we need here in nyc i need at least 40-50% equity's or my chance of failure is very high in fact with rates this low i may have to go 50/50 to 60/40 possibly . i needed a larger balance to work with and because we need the higher income all my accumulation years were at 90-100% equity's spanning decades .

for 30 years my entire portfolio management takes me 30 seconds a week . i have used the fidelity insight newsletter since 1987 . 100k is now well over 2 million in the growth model without another penny added so the portfolio's have done just fine . my 81 year old aunt finds it easy enough to use . you get an update every friday with an occassional fund swap . there are newsletters for vanguard as well . nothing could be easier to do .

if your financial well being and growth is that not important to you that you can't find time to grow your money then good luck to that person . odds are in the end that lack of interest may have them committing financial suicide at retirement or living a miserable retirement .
Personally, my long term retirement plan is to get the hell out of the United States. It's on it's way to becoming a 2nd world craphole filled with 3rd world invaders. This election is downright disturbing. As a millennial, I see what's going on, and understand what the end result will be. Which is why I am not in love with the stock market right now. Lipstick on a pig is all the stock market is right now.

I think the use of bailouts, subsidies, rescue plans and such have made many of our largest corporations very lazy and complacent. It is not difficult to see why America struggles to compete, why innovation and entrepreneurship is declining, and why many are losing faith in our faith based economic and monetary system.

My goal now is to time the next crash, and make as much money as possible, in as short a span as possible. My objectives are very different from traditional investors, and I am just fine with that.

I love risk, when the upside is high enough to justify the risk.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
in retirement you need to develop a safe , secure , consistant income that can be inflation adjusted and last a life time . possibly legacy money may be important too .

to draw anything greater then 2% inflation adjusted requires at least 40% equity's to maintain a high success rate of not running out of money to soon and that is really based on when rates were higher historically .

the updated trinity study shows us that it took 40% or greater in equity's to get through at least 90% of all the rolling 30 year time frames since 1926 . anything less failed to last to many times .

that 40% is based on making it through the worst case scenario's we already encountered .
Lol... I had one time trades where I invested 1-2% of my account, but grew it by 10% in a matter of days. I achieved this by using 3X ETFs, and relatively precise timing. Of course, I have lost thousands of dollars on trades like this, but so long as my gains exceed my loses, I am happy.

I would tell seniors to stay far away from 3X ETFs. A suburb way to lose a lot of money, really quickly. It takes a hell of a big ego to withstand the wild swings that generally occur. An active trader like me makes money on the volatility though, and I have my whole life to rebuild wealth should I lose it.

I don't pay much attention to the past performance of the market. My 20% that is locked into long term equity positions will grow along with the market. I think we are living in a low yield environment with tremendous downside risk, which is why I limit myself on those long term positions. I trade according to my convictions, not the past. These are very different times we are living in.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Personally, my long term retirement plan is to get the hell out of the United States. It's on it's way to becoming a 2nd world craphole filled with 3rd world invaders. This election is downright disturbing. As a millennial, I see what's going on, and understand what the end result will be. Which is why I am not in love with the stock market right now. Lipstick on a pig is all the stock market is right now.

I think the use of bailouts, subsidies, rescue plans and such have made many of our largest corporations very lazy and complacent. It is not difficult to see why America struggles to compete, why innovation and entrepreneurship is declining, and why many are losing faith in our faith based economic and monetary system.

My goal now is to time the next crash, and make as much money as possible, in as short a span as possible. My objectives are very different from traditional investors, and I am just fine with that.

I love risk, when the upside is high enough to justify the risk.
Where do you go? Denmark?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Where do you go? Denmark?
Iceland. Where they lock their criminal banksters up, instead of promoting them!

That is a financial system I can have faith in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing