Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It's not that hard.

step 1: save some money from a job or inheritance or other source that did not involve debt
step 2: invest that money in a business or the market or other investment opportunity with good growth potentials
step 3: reinvest all profits into the same or other opportunities
step 4: once the investment or income grows to a good number take some profits in a liquidation event to lock in your gains
step 5: use proceeds and repeat with other businesses/investments/opportunities

Choose your investments/businesses/opportunities wisely and you get exponential growth. Of course not everyone achieves this but the skilled and intelligent can.

I didn't ask you how to do it but rather I asked you how many people had become wealthy without ever utilizing debt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn't ask you how to do it but rather I asked you how many people had become wealthy without ever utilizing debt
I don't know the overall percentage, just that I've learned of many people who did so.

John Templeton was a good example.

He invested a couple thousand in all of the blue chip stocks during the depression when they were going for pennies. Cleaned up huge when the economy came back.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know the overall percentage, just that I've learned of many people who did so.

John Templeton was a good example.

He invested a couple thousand in all of the blue chip stocks during the depression when they were going for pennies. Cleaned up huge when the economy came back.

How do you know John Templeton never used any debt?

Well it looks like debt was key to his success so much for that

Quote:
When war began in Europe in 1939, he borrowed money to buy 100 shares each in 104 companies selling at one dollar per share or less, including 34 companies that were in bankruptcy. Only four turned out to be worthless, and he turned large profits on the others.
https://www.templeton.org/sir-john-templeton/life-story

Old 08-07-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
How do you know John Templeton never used any debt?

Well it looks like debt was key to his success so much for that

https://www.templeton.org/sir-john-templeton/life-story
Ok, so he did. All I'm saying is that debt is by no means a necessity to achieving wealth.

However, it IS for many people a substantial barrier to achieving it. Surely you do not dispute this.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, so he did. All I'm saying is that debt is by no means a necessity to achieving wealth.

However, it IS for many people a substantial barrier to achieving it. Surely you do not dispute this.

Debt is a tool and can be useful or harmful depending on your application. I would wager the vast majority of wealthy folks have utilized debt at some point.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Debt is a tool and can be useful or harmful depending on your application. I would wager the vast majority of wealthy folks have utilized debt at some point.
Then would you not also agree that the vast majority of the general public uses debt in a harmful way and that one of the first steps to becoming wealthy (if they wish to be) is getting rid of that harmful debt? That is really what I was originally saying.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Then would you not also agree that the vast majority of the general public uses debt in a harmful way and that one of the first steps to becoming wealthy (if they wish to be) is getting rid of that harmful debt? That is really what I was originally saying.
Yes the majority of people do not manage debt correctly but the first step is not to get rid of debt but rather become educated on how to manage your finances properly and understand that debt can be a useful tool.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
You guys (or gals) are really quite hilarious. Please, keep it going. It is vastly entertaining!

To get right to the bottom line, borrowing to invest is a terrible idea, UNLESS you can be very sure that the ROI will exceed the interest to be paid on the debt. IMO, the ROI should exceed the interest by at least 10% to make it worth while. Of course, 25% would be better.
Given an interest rate of 9% on the loan, that means your ROI will have to be anywhere from 9.9% to 11.25 or 12%. That enters the realm of Dreaming!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes the majority of people do not manage debt correctly but the first step is not to get rid of debt but rather become educated on how to manage your finances properly and understand that debt can be a useful tool.
You're still splitting hairs.

When they become educated about finance they will learn that one of the first practical steps they need to be taking is getting out of debt and not getting into more debt.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You're still splitting hairs.

When they become educated about finance they will learn that one of the first practical steps they need to be taking is getting out of debt and not getting into more debt.

No I'm not splitting hairs and your following statement is still incorrect. educated people are not afraid of debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing