Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 18,588 times

Advertisements

My father, who is in his late 60s is quite, proud that he only pulls 2% out of his million dollar 401k and IRA retirement accounts a year. (vs the standard 4% withdrawal rate of most of his friends)

He wants to travel more and eat out more often but was told by financial experts to only take two percent of his portfolio a year in retirement.

He lives on a combination of Social Security and his 2% withdrawals. He and Mom's Social Security payments are about $4000 a month combined and he takes about $1600 a month out of his million dollar 401k/IRA investments. (Neither have a pension)

I always tell him to live a little and spend more money. I think he his playing it too safe. He could eat out more and travel if he just pulled out 4-5% out of his retirement accounts each year instead of 2%.

Isn't he one of many people who is retired and is playing it too safe with their annual withdrawals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money hungry View Post
My father, who is in his late 60s is quite, proud that he only pulls 2%
He lives on a combination of Social Security and his 2% withdrawals.
He and Mom's Social Security payments are about $4000 a month combined
He wants to travel more and eat out more often but was told ...

I always tell him to live a little and spend more money.
I think he his playing it too safe.
He could eat out more and travel if he just pulled out 4-5% out ...
Stop focusing on the specific percentages of withdraw. Instead shift the discussion
into the specific cost amount for the extra's he's denying himself and Mom...
and where in the budget that amount could come from.
---

Would the vacation trips and dinners out and a few ball game seats add up to $19,200?
Would that $19,000 even be enough? This is what your suggesting.
---

eta: Then there's the overall annual budget and whether some things can be shifted.
Personally I prefer to pair an indulgence expense like travel with a no choice expense like OOP medical.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-03-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Old habits are hard to break. When you have spent a lifetime being prudent, it is very hard to switch into spend mode.

Even though, rationally, you know that you only have 20 or 30 years left on this earth and you also know that you cannot take the money with you, there is a comfort in knowing that the money is there in the account should anything untoward happen.

The reason your father has a million is because he didn't blow it in the past. Expecting him to start spending now is asking for a big psychological turnaround.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 AM

7 posts, read 18,588 times
He could easily spend more money just on a nicer home. There are countless ways for him to spend his money between now and death.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
My father, who is in his late 60s is quite, proud that he only pulls 2% out of his million dollar 401k and IRA retirement accounts a year. (vs the standard 4% withdrawal rate of most of his friends)

He wants to travel more and eat out more often but was told by financial experts to only take two percent of his portfolio a year in retirement.

He lives on a combination of Social Security and his 2% withdrawals. He and Mom's Social Security payments are about $4000 a month combined and he takes about $1600 a month out of his million dollar 401k/IRA investments. (Neither have a pension)

I always tell him to live a little and spend more money. I think he his playing it too safe. He could eat out more and travel if he just pulled out 4-5% out of his retirement accounts each year instead of 2%.

Isn't he one of many people who is retired and is playing it too safe with their annual withdrawals
?
That last question is impossible to answer without knowing how his million is invested. 2% might be all that is safe.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
He could easily spend more money just on a nicer home. There are countless ways for him to spend his money between now and death.
Maybe he doesn't want a nicer home. Maybe he doesn't REALLY want to travel. (I see that one a lot.) Maybe, just maybe, he's happy living the way he's living now, and he knows spending more money won't significantly increase his happiness.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
If you review the research on the 4% you will find that the percent should be lower due to the low interest rate we currently have and the effects on investments that future increase will have.

But I would think the 2% could have a 50% increase to 3% from my review of the lititure.

You might want to ask your advisor about using the IRS minimum required distribution tables table procedures to develop current year distributions. These consider life expectancy and the value of the investment portfolio. This method might be better than the 4% rule.

I think the point is I would use the 4% rule for planning for someone saving from retirement but when you get to retirement you need a better rule. Since you are paying an advisor I think he should be doing better than say 4%.

However he knows the financial picture and we do not.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Surprised this wasn't posted before so let me be the first.

It's his life and his money, he should be allowed to spend it however he wants to.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:14 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
In my opinion it's better to be more conservative (and prepared) than not. I like your dad's plan just fine.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM

106,717 posts, read 108,913,061 times
how is he invested ? if he is only using fixed income investments then depending on age he may not be able to safely draw more than 2-2-1/2% safely .

4% counts on 35-40% minimum in equities to cover a 30 year retirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing