Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 PM

84 posts, read 132,343 times

Advertisements

I have approx. $250K sitting in Vanguard Prime MM fund. I'd like to move this money to a
another Vanguard fund where it can earn a better yield than it is currently.

I'd then like to dollar cost average a fixed monthly amount of money from that fund into some more Vanguard funds over a period of a year or two max. The goal being to get better returns than I am getting now.

Where you would you park the initial money from the money market fund and which fund or funds would you dollar cost into ?

I have 13 years before I touch the money.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Why dollar cost average it in? Why not just toss it in as a lump sum? Lump sum investing generally beats out dollar-cost averaging over the long term.

Do you have any other investments with Vanguard? If yes, what are they? If no, I'd consider either Wellington or Wellesley if you'd like to keep things simple.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
The convention wisdom is to dump it all in. But DCA is for your psychology. It's easier said then done, the dump it all in to the stock market.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
I would definitely not dump it all in, especially as we are talking about a quarter-million, not a couple thousand. If you've had this much money in a money-market fund, you're probably at least somewhat risk-averse, and DCA is exactly the strategy for you. I don't understand why DCA gets bashed so much on this forum. You never know when the next financial or economic crisis is going to occur and only investors with titanium nerves will actually be able to watch that $250K decline to $150K and not lose sleep over it. So unless your nerves are made of titanium, don't dump it all in. DCA it in.

As for your actual question about best funds, I'll let someone else answer that.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:07 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,507 times
The market is priced so high right now I'd be afraid to start a new position in a stock unless I felt it would continue to grow no matter what.

You could look at some of the tech stocks which have been flying. But I would never put the entire amount. You could start with a few small small positions and dollar cost average during dips in the stock. That's what I do. I also reinvest dividends so I'm getting a small amount of shares quarterly.

The best performers in my portfolio are the tech/chip stocks. Also Boeing which I still has a lot of room to grow and pays a dividend. That could be something to look at.

You need to research companies and find a few you think will grow over the next few years. However, this is a tricky time in the market. Everything is so overvalued, I would start small. Do not put the whole lump sum in.

Jane

Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't understand why DCA gets bashed so much on this forum. You never know when the next financial or economic crisis is going to occur and only investors with titanium nerves will actually be able to watch that $250K decline to $150K and not lose sleep over it.
But DCA doesn't spare you from that, as its endpoint is the same: 100% of the funds invested. It just takes longer to get there. Once the money's in, a market slump will affect it the same way no matter how it got in.

If you can't watch $250k decline to $150k without doing something rash, then that $250k should not be invested in equities. Pretending that DCA affords some protection from that is silly.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,690,115 times
BND and SPY. Don't dollar cost average. That's just putting off risk.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Without knowing what your pucker factor is and why and how critical that money is in 13 years i would not recommend a thing . But dca is generally going to reduce your gains no matter what you do.

I would not go with bnd either. Compared to fidelity's total bond fund it lagged every time frame over and over .

Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
But DCA doesn't spare you from that, as its endpoint is the same: 100% of the funds invested. It just takes longer to get there. Once the money's in, a market slump will affect it the same way no matter how it got in.

If you can't watch $250k decline to $150k without doing something rash, then that $250k should not be invested in equities. Pretending that DCA affords some protection from that is silly.
I think the idea is that by spreading out your investment over time it makes it less likely you'll hit the worst case scenario, putting all of your money in at the very peak, then the market immediately tanks.

On average, I would expect spreading out the investment over time will probably make the investor come out behind compared to putting it all in right away, since the market is usually up over a multi-year period. But for any individual investor, there's no way to know apriori if the market is at its local peak.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
With markets up 2/3's of the time and down only 1/3 you are betting against the house as far as dca doing much good return wise.

It can reduce risk temporarily but once you are in you are in for the same ride only with likely a higher cost basis.

I always say if dca really was an advantage we would all reach our allocation ,sell everything and start from zero again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing