Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 63,960 times

Advertisements

I am in a dillema and unsure what to do as I am not very good with finance. I have my ROTH with Edward Jones and lately because of the new rule by DOL, my advisor informed me that they introduced a new flat fee of 1.35% annually of my total fun in my portfolio. Right now, each year I contribute the money, Edward Jones takes 5% commission. So for example, I contribute $10k, EJ takes $500. With the new fee structure, I would pay 1.35% of that $10k plus whatever balance I have in my portfolio. I can't decide what to do. My advisor at EJ said several people prefer that flat fee, but in a long run I just don't feel good about it. If I decide to convert to this new flat fee, EJ will refund the past commission to help pay for the 1.35%. It looks tempting from the sound of it in a short term. To add to it, with the flat fee it will allow my advisor to sell/buy new fund without having to worry about the 5% commission.

So what you all think? Should I stick with the 5% commission each time I contribute or go with this new flat fee? The 5% seems steep, but my fund has been doing okay to a point that I already earn money and break even. I am not sure really and again I am not very good with finance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM

34,145 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybie View Post
I am in a dillema and unsure what to do...
This is a good example for the benefit of Unmanaged Index Funds.

https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/roth-ira

Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,675,770 times
How often do you contribute and how much vs how much is the total account worth?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,467,818 times
Neither transfer your money to Vanguard or Fidelity and stop getting robbed. Just pick a target date fund at Vanguard or Fidelity if you don't know what you are doing. If you feel you need to have an adviser, Fidelity and Vanguard both charge ~0.3% of your total assets under management.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,182,103 times
Quote:
I am in a dillema and unsure what to do as I am not very good with finance. I have my ROTH with Edward Jones and lately because of the new rule by DOL, my advisor informed me that they introduced a new flat fee of 1.35% annually of my total fun in my portfolio. Right now, each year I contribute the money, Edward Jones takes 5% commission. So for example, I contribute $10k, EJ takes $500. With the new fee structure, I would pay 1.35% of that $10k plus whatever balance I have in my portfolio. I can't decide what to do. My advisor at EJ said several people prefer that flat fee, but in a long run I just don't feel good about it. If I decide to convert to this new flat fee, EJ will refund the past commission to help pay for the 1.35%. It looks tempting from the sound of it in a short term. To add to it, with the flat fee it will allow my advisor to sell/buy new fund without having to worry about the 5% commission.

So what you all think? Should I stick with the 5% commission each time I contribute or go with this new flat fee? The 5% seems steep, but my fund has been doing okay to a point that I already earn money and break even. I am not sure really and again I am not very good with finance.
I think you are off a bit, I think the commissions are 5.75% and the fee is 1.25%. If you are keeping your funds in an account for 5+ years the 5.75% is almost certainly cheaper, especially if you aren't jumping in and out funds.

One thing that is important to note is that all new contributions will need to be automated or will have to go under the guided solutions framework (1.25%). This will only impact adding new funds to your account though.

Haha, just had a long discussion with a buddy that is an FA for EJ and we talked about what he is going to do as this is an issue he is going to face as an employee too as they are subject to a slightly discounted AUM, .9%, but have the same type of decision to make.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How often do you contribute and how much vs how much is the total account worth?
Once a year. I stop doing the ROTH now, but I contribute to SEP at EJ to help with my tax income.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,182,103 times
Quote:
Once a year. I stop doing the ROTH now, but I contribute to SEP at EJ to help with my tax income.
I think your payments need to be automated to continue with the commission structure otherwise you are forced into the guided solutions program.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM

50,436 posts, read 64,222,797 times
Weird, but we just pay a $40 @ annual IRA fee at Edward Jones.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Weird, but we just pay a $40 @ annual IRA fee at Edward Jones.
Yes I have to pay for that too but each time you buy or sell fund, you are paying at least 5% commission plus % for funds management fee I believe depending on what fund you purchase.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:22 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,675,770 times
Quote:
Yes I have to pay for that too but each time you buy or sell fund, you are paying at least 5% commission plus % for funds management fee I believe depending on what fund you purchase.
If you are paying a 5% commission on the front end you shouldn't be paying it to sell also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing