Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times

Advertisements

My rental leases for just under $1400 a month, my mortage which includes insurance, property taxes, etc is around $700 give or take a couple bucks so I'm almost doubling up minus property management fees which are 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I bought a condo to live in and stayed for over 3 years. Now I rent that same place out because I moved somewhere bigger once I got engaged.

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on the following figures.

Mortgage $928/month (includes taxes, etc)
HOA $326/month
----------------------------
Total Rental Income: $1,300/month

I am really only "earning" around $46 a month not including the equity. What are your thoughts?

Just to clarify this is a condo where I am not responsible for any roof, heater, window repairs, etc. I have not been hit with any special assessments yet and I do trust my HOA board, they are truly amazing. Obviously it scares me being that close. I do think I could squeeze another $50 out of my next renter but I do love my current renter and won't be raising the rent on her under current circumstances.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:48 AM

698 posts, read 567,946 times
As a rules of thumb, one might expect monthly rents on a property in a competitive rental market to be in the vicinity of one-half of one percent of what the property could be sold for.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I bought a condo to live in and stayed for over 3 years. Now I rent that same place out because I moved somewhere bigger once I got engaged.

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on the following figures.

Mortgage $928/month (includes taxes, etc)
HOA $326/month
----------------------------
Total Rental Income: $1,300/month

I am really only "earning" around $46 a month not including the equity. What are your thoughts?

Just to clarify this is a condo where I am not responsible for any roof, heater, window repairs, etc. I have not been hit with any special assessments yet and I do trust my HOA board, they are truly amazing. Obviously it scares me being that close. I do think I could squeeze another $50 out of my next renter but I do love my current renter and won't be raising the rent on her under current circumstances.
If you wouldn’t lose money selling it I would probably do so

Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
If you wouldn’t lose money selling it I would probably do so
I wouldn't lose money but prefer to hold onto it, especially since I think the area is going to get hot in the next 5 years or so. It's next to Wrigley Field and my renter has already said she wants to stay a couple of years. She pays all of the bills on it but if I ever run into issues renting it or issues with the HOA I would definitely consider.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
I am about 13% ROI after all expenses paid and my properties are all paid off in full except for two I pulled out cash.

The two I pulled cash out on have an infinite return as with the new mortgages they cash flow about $300 a month each, but when I pulled out the cash I got more out than I had paid into them so I have none of my money into them, got a few thousand extra in my pocket.
Thus no money of mine invested and $3600 a year cash flow on those two. For the sake of numbers I guess you could say I have one dollar invested with a 3,600 ROI

Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I am about 13% ROI after all expenses paid and my properties are all paid off in full except for two I pulled out cash.

The two I pulled cash out on have an infinite return as with the new mortgages they cash flow about $300 a month each, but when I pulled out the cash I got more out than I had paid into them so I have none of my money into them, got a few thousand extra in my pocket.
Thus no money of mine invested and $3600 a year cash flow on those two. For the sake of numbers I guess you could say I have one dollar invested with a 3,600 ROI
But you would have to earn more money on the equity you took than the interest you pay to have made “pulling the money out” worthwhile

Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
As a rules of thumb, one might expect monthly rents on a property in a competitive rental market to be in the vicinity of one-half of one percent of what the property could be sold for.
I am just learning about rental real estate and recently learned this 1% rule. I'm glad you said something about competitive markets because I live in Seattle's eastside... and 1% on my property would be nearly $7000.. which is just not happening... but $3500... yeah, that's still a little high, but I've seen $3200 or so...

So what kind of markets does the 1% apply to if not places like SF, SEA, NYC or Boston?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
10% cash-on-cash.

Examples:
You pay 125,000 cash for a property. If it's not making 12,500 per year after all expenses you're better off doing something like an index fund.
If I could obtain such a 10% return on an actual piece of property - which besides generating rental income, presumably also appreciates, and offers tax-advantages - I'd dump the index funds, and will become a landlord! However, a more common scenario is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
In a slow market (such as the one local to me), that sounds typical. Locals make money in buying a house, and renting individual rooms to college students, or other itinerants; or, in buying an apartment-complex. Rentals on single-family housing, whether condo or detached, tend to be only incrementally higher than total cost of ownership (mortgage, taxes, maintenance, insurance). A typical occurrence is for the owner-occupant to relocate without selling the house, instead renting it out. The tenant covers the cost of ownership, but just barely.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM

500 posts, read 571,914 times
I feel you should get at least 10% a year on rent. Being a landlord is work. It may not be much work depending on the tenant, but it is still work. You also face certain risks such as a small chance of being sued and vacancy. I know most tenants are fine but you occasionally hear about nightmare tenants.

If I couldn't get 10%, I would rather have my money in stocks. Stocks rise about 10% a year. It is much less work holding stocks, you don't have to deal with tenants and the money is very liquid. You don't have to fix the roof or paint the walls. Your stocks are not going to call you at 2am because a pipe broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing