Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:11 PM

82 posts, read 72,629 times

Advertisements

Im nervous about how the election will effect my index, so far I'm roughly even since I first invested (I'm down around $200)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
don't worry about it, selling now just triggers taxes

and $200 isn't much unless you plan on spending it, if that were the case, you shouldn't have spending money in the stock market the first place. You may end up with less money when you need to spend it

besides, if you sold it, what else would you have done with it? Keep it in cash? Why did you invest in the first place then vs keeping it in the bank? You can't only be investing when it is going up. It's a losing bet if you try to time markets

Its no different than anything else, do landlords sell rental at first sign of a leaky pipe? Do business owners close shop when they get a bad customer? Being panicky just doesn't do well for making money.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:29 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
You're not supposed to time the market.
You exemplify how investors as a whole, under perform the markets. If you react to news all the time then you're going to be constantly terrified of investing. There's ALWAYS something that's gonna make you want to sell. http://www.ci.com/orderform/pdf/gene...t_poster_e.pdf

Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Patience grasshopper. This is all nervousness over concern about the election. Uncertainty is never good for the stock market. My advice is to wait it out and it will all work itself out once the results are known and we get a handle on what we are going to be dealing with for the next four years.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:38 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
I sold my short position today, made a killing. I'm hoping Trump wins so I can go all in again with SH.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
TOO LATE, the Election is already priced into the market. +/-

be wise, be consistent, DO NOT LISTEN to pundits.

We survived LJB, Nixon / Spiro and way TOO long with the Bushes and the Clintons.

USA needs to start being an informed electorate rather than a Publicity momentum 'followers (As you would be doing by leaving the market NOW)

do what you must, have a good reason.

If this next one lasts 8 yrs, many of us will be 6 ft under
, and never be able to see the POTENTIAL of the current USA economy and market. Significant Opportunities abound HERE NOW in a very disrupted world.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
TOO LATE, the Election is already priced into the market. +/-

be wise, be consistent, DO NOT LISTEN to pundits.

We survived LJB, Nixon / Spiro and way TOO long with the Bushes and the Clintons.

USA needs to start being an informed electorate rather than a Publicity momentum 'followers (As you would be doing by leaving the market NOW)

do what you must, have a good reason.

If this next one lasts 8 yrs, many of us will be 6 ft under
, and never be able to see the POTENTIAL of the current USA economy and market. Significant Opportunities abound HERE NOW in a very disrupted world.
It's never too late. The market is only reflecting the uncertainty of the election. We will know on Wed if it approves of the winner.

The market completely diving further is a distinct possibility.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwach View Post
Im nervous about how the election will effect my index, so far I'm roughly even since I first invested (I'm down around $200)

If you can't stand to lose more than a few hundred then you have no business investing or being in the market - stick to a savings account.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:24 PM

589 posts, read 390,699 times
Bought some Tecs and spxs today. Praying for a massive downturn.............................lol.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwach View Post
I'm nervous about how the election will affect my index, so far I'm roughly even since I first invested (I'm down around $200)
$200 is not a lot of money to lose. If you can't afford to lose money, you shouldn't be putting anything in the stock market. The stock market is not even down that much. This is NORMAL....actually it's probably better than normal. We're currently far from the worst case scenario.

If you are nervous, put less money in and build up some cash savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing