Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:06 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

200 bucks ? lol . we have seen 35-40k swings in one session . watching a few years of my wife's salary move up and down in a day is mind blowing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
I don't even look at the market most days. What's the point? I am not going to do anything if it goes down, or goes up either for that matter. Our portfolio was put together with the idea that the market will go up and down. All that matters to me is whether I have enough money to make a withdrawal every quarter.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 AM

589 posts, read 390,586 times
@ the start you want the mkt to go down. EVER heard of buy low and sell high.

Too many people sell low and buy high. I hear on radio shows people who sold in the downturn AND took large losses still waiting for the right time to buy.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
buy high and sell higher has made far more money for investors . the most money has been lost trying to buy low and sell high .

no one ever know's where low is . it is like trying to catch a falling knife . we thought low was in 2008 when we fell 1500 points . well we fell 4000 more and it sent many who tried to time those buys running for the exits .

Old 11-05-2016, 10:11 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
200 bucks ? lol . we have seen 35-40k swings in one session . watching a few years of my wife's salary move up and down in a day is mind blowing .
Yea, Wondering if I should Dump my SPXU on Monday sitting on a nice gain. (But not much of a price spread).

CitiBank analyst expect a 5% drop in the S&P if Trump gets elected. And (I think) a 2-3% Gain if Clinton gets it. But there "Predictions" were from September. The FBI last friday made S&P drop.

Since I (Retired???, Well, not working after getting outsourced) been doing alot more trading. Seeing the thousands of dollars go up/down in a session is hard to get a grip on. But the "Swing" trading is something I could not do while I was @ work, Can't watch the market on a minute by minute basis.

But it does sometimes freq's me out, when i see the number and the CapGain/Loss report in Quicken the amount of money/volume flowing in/out/around my accounts.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:27 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Day-traders are the krill that the whales swallow up. And you can massage the word "day" by quite a bit as well.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:49 PM

82 posts, read 72,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you can't stand to lose more than a few hundred then you have no business investing or being in the market - stick to a savings account.

I have have no problem losing money. I have owned stocks that dropped 10% in a few days and I just purchased more.

My question is if perhaps it's wise to sell now, and if the market tanks to start buying more.

Thank everyone for the advise I appreciate it.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:18 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
The next real concern for potential market volatility would be the December Fed meeting/ decision on interest rates.

In my opinion if Trump wins the election the market could advance on potential tax lowering policies/ if Clinton wins the market could advance on more of the same ol' same 'ol. Or the market could tank with either candidate elected as they are both significantly scary individuals to have in office to could cause international issue, internal issues etc. etc.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
In my opinion if Trump wins the election the market could advance on potential tax lowering policies
I don't think you realize it... but the president does not control the tax rate nor the federal reserve nor any economic "policy" making powers

all of that falls under congressional powers

Old 11-05-2016, 10:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
The next real concern for potential market volatility would be the December Fed meeting/ decision on interest rates.

In my opinion if Trump wins the election the market could advance on potential tax lowering policies/ if Clinton wins the market could advance on more of the same ol' same 'ol. Or the market could tank with either candidate elected as they are both significantly scary individuals to have in office to could cause international issue, internal issues etc. etc.
No chance of that happening. We have seen it already. As soon as the news came out that Clinton was being probed again, the market immiedietly went negative. A trade war is he last thing wall street wants, it's why Clinton has recieved tens of millions from wall street, while trump got about $20,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing