Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The 90s were ... For the first time since the Jackson (that would be Andrew Jackson) administration, the federal government ran a surplus. ...
Actually, there was no period - year-to-year ( during the 90's ) when the national debt didn't increase.

It is only after 'adding-in' the Social Security "Surplus" that "From an accounting standpoint," the books were in the black. Either the SS Surplus was supposed to be saved - "for later" or it was spent in real time.

The US Treasury publishes total US indebtedness once every week. Year-to-year comparisons are easy.

Reagan, Bush I & II all showed lower deficits than they really ran up and Clinton showed small surpluses when there was actually still a deficit.

- = - = - = - - = - = - = - - = - = - = - - = - = - = -
Three candidates for an an accounting opening face a challenge question:

The interviewer asks: " What is two plus two? "

Candidate one says "four."

Candidate two answers with a question: "Do you mean two plus negative two, positive two plus positive two?" There are many possibilities ...

Candidate three leans back in their chair and asks: "What do you want it to be?"

( Guess who got the job? )

- = - = - = - - = - = - = - - = - = - = - - = - = - = -

My next post will be how in our government accounting system, one can write an IOU to oneself and call it an asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Many people say if you look at the internet bubble in terms of what the internet has grown into it wasn't necessarily a bubble at all but prices grew faster than the internet itself grew but look at the valuations of Amazon and Google and Netflix and Apple and others today.
Two of the companies you mentioned, Google and Netflix, went public after the first bubble had collapsed.

Apple wasn't a cell phone maker back then. About 90 percent of their stock price gains have occurred after the introduction of the iphone.

Most of the companies from the first wave disappeared. There were probably about 1000 publicly listed stocks in the telecom and internet sectors. It's now only about 30 percent of that including the new companies that have listed since.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Two of the companies you mentioned, Google and Netflix, went public after the first bubble had collapsed.

Apple wasn't a cell phone maker back then. About 90 percent of their stock price gains have occurred after the introduction of the iphone.

Most of the companies from the first wave disappeared. There were probably about 1000 publicly listed stocks in the telecom and internet sectors. It's now only about 30 percent of that including the new companies that have listed since.
I know my point however was that the internet as a whole grew much larger than the "bubble" of back then, obviously there was a shift in the companies involved but the internet continued to and has continued to grow larger than the highest point of the bubble, it just took another 17 years.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Quote:
I know my point however was that the internet as a whole grew much larger than the "bubble" of back then, obviously there was a shift in the companies involved but the internet continued to and has continued to grow larger than the highest point of the bubble, it just took another 17 years.
very true but there was also roadkill along the way. MySpace, Netscape, CMGI, ICGE, Idealabs, etc. etc.

So does BitCoin survive and thrive after the inevitable crash, does it survive and become marginalized or does it become roadkill?

That's the question in my mind.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Were many people calling it a bubble when tech stocks were going through the roof?
No, they were not. In the late 90s, everyone and their pet turtle was making money in the stock market. America was going to have a mass upper-class, or so we were told.

Then, of course, everything nosedived. At least it was fun while it lasted.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,779,432 times
My take on the 90's bubble is that it was a huge misunderstanding of the true demand that existed for software and communication infrastructure caused by the Y2K problem. Late 90's saw an unprecedented demand for upgrades to hardware and systems to mitigate the pending disaster that was Y2K (hell the SEC even mandated 10-K disclosures about a firm's weaknesses and plans to remediate). Firms took the opportunity to do overall upgrades and incorporate newer internet technologies. There was an imbalance where demand exceeded supply.

Once all that demand subsided when Y2K came and went, there was an imbalance the other way. The music stopped and lots of companies found they didn't have a chair to sit in.

Good times...

Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:

Regardless, it's still been a poor investment. Look at the Nasdaq Composite, Fidelity's Select Electronics sector fund, Jacob Internet Fund, etc. All have done worse than the overall US market if you bought them at the wrong time. All of the collective growth, so far at least, has not made up for the excessive prices of the day.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think that is correct at all. Almost any trend has contrarians. John Paulson made billions betting on a housing crash.

Bitcoin is basically the fastest climbing investment in history, and it is based entirely on mathematical formulas. It's very easy to call it a bubble.

I think a lot of people perceive a bubble might be forming, but they are trying to get in and out in time to make money. If you avoid all speculative investment you are very unlikely to keep up with inflation.
Yes. No $hit. Every trade has contrarians. Everyone knows that. You totally ignored where I said MOST. There was probably 1 in 100 at most who called the housing crash. Probably 9 of 10 are calling for a bitcoin crash.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
Bitcoin is like baseball cards, it has "high values" among narrowly defined demographics. To some, bitcoins have unlimited values; to many others, bitcoins have no value.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Were many people calling it a bubble when tech stocks were going through the roof? I'm asking because everyone is calling bitcoin a bubble, but usually bubbles are when most people don't see it coming or there would be no bubble.
Lots and lots of people were. It's not that hard to spot a bubble, nor to predict it will burst. It is VERY hard to predict it precisely enough that it's useful.

First sentence they teach you if you want to play with investments: The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing