Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

If I understand right in the US you have to buy bitcoin and use a conversion site to buy it.

What exchange did you use and what wallet do you keep it in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Here's a list of exchanges that you can buy Ripple on...

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/#markets

I personally use Bittrex.

I'm not a fan of Ripple, it never really does anything price wise, recently it's had a bump but all the while altcoins were on a bull run Ripple wasn't doing much maybe 22 cents to 26 cents.

Some other criticism of Ripple is there are 100 Billion coins, to put that in perspective Bitcoin has 21 Million. The creators have too much coins so if they dumped them it could crash the market, there is kind of an escrow to slow the release to alleviate that concern but still many people dont like.

Another thing the XRP tokens are completely seperate from the banking technology so potentially Ripple becomes widely used but the coins are still not worth much.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
@doodlemagic.. I totally agree, but what are your thoughts on Amex and Santander agreeing to use Ripple for Cross border transactions?

Old 12-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay007 View Post
@doodlemagic.. I totally agree, but what are your thoughts on Amex and Santander agreeing to use Ripple for Cross border transactions?
Personally I hate Ripple, it's burned me before. That said I'm not too stubborn to rethink things. It has recently has a rise. One other interesting thing is their office if you look on Google maps is less than 2 blocks from Coinbases office. Coinbase wants to add more cryptocurrencies in 2018 so part of me thinkgs these guys at Ripple and Coinbase have to be at the very least running into each other at the corner store or sandwhich shop so that proximity alone could lead to them winding up working together.

That said there are 100 Billion Ripple tokens. For Ripple to reach $10 would mean that's a trillion Dollar crypto. That doesn't seem feasible to me. I also may have commented on this above but XRP from my understanding is not used to transfer or used by banks except to pay fees so it's kind of seperate from the actual transfers. Also the company holds a lot, all be it in escrow, but if they decided to dump it could be bad for the price.

That said I threw a little just in case money back into ripple incase Coinbase picks them up in 2018 as that would cause a price explosion. I'm talking like $20 or $50 or soemthing small like that.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Well there is a high possibility that Coinbase might list it next year so its good to hold it. But the supply is too high and the affiliation to fiat institutions makes it not so appealing in the crypto community. Also it is a slow mover and is usually flat just because if its volume and sheer supply... I honestly dont think it can go past $4-$5 or even $10. It would be massively over extended if it does hit that price... but I might be wrong. .. all the hype right now is around GDAX/COinbase listing..

Old 12-21-2017, 03:39 PM

748 posts, read 819,961 times
Everyone who owns Ripple seems to think the XRP tokens are being used by banks currently for transactions - which they are not. So it's a lot of misconceptions and speculation driving the price. I'm surprised it hit $1. Who knows, it could go higher.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:16 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Looks like I have 2789 of them. Not a huge amount of money. A few thousand bucks.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Everyone who owns Ripple seems to think the XRP tokens are being used by banks currently for transactions - which they are not. So it's a lot of misconceptions and speculation driving the price. I'm surprised it hit $1. Who knows, it could go higher.
Ppl say its the western union or moneygram for banks

Old 12-24-2017, 10:47 PM

748 posts, read 819,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Looks like I have 2789 of them. Not a huge amount of money. A few thousand bucks.
Might want to hit sell the sell button sooner than later. But what do I know, I though they were junk at $.17.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Ripple, too many coins, developers have too many coins and the other thing like you said the coins "we" may hold are not really that integrated into the system as in not what banks are using. I could be mistaken but I believe Ripple tokens are used to pay the transfer fees. I could see a situation where Ripple is used by a lot of banks but the tokens still don't have that much value. Quite honestly I'm shocked they are as high as they. I have a buddy who swears they are going to go to $10 but with 100 Billion tokens that puts it at 1 Trillion Dollars for the Ripple market and the entire crypto space including Bitcoin which is much more popular isn't even that large yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing